TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Took the CS in for some cosmetic work

UK PONY

Everytime I looked at my baby I could see some very slight paint defects (scratches in the clear coat, ripples in the side decals and a ragged edge where the original paintshop decided to tape off a piece of trim rather than remove it and do the job properly).

Today the little CS turned a lot of heads as she drove in the snow, roof down, to the paintshop. There all of the above defects will be handled along with repainting areas that had stone chips and having the side decals painted back on...hopefully it will be more than 21 months before she needs any more paint, if not I at least hope that this paintshop stays open long enough to fix anything unlike the original shop which went bankrupt just months after painting my baby.

Went to see the CS today to see what progress had been made - not much is the short answer.........the beltline trim is off as is the rear spoiler (have to say it looks very cool without it and I'm wondering if I should have the boltholes welded up and the trunklid repainted) and the hoodpin bezels (is that the right term?).

Apparently the main delay is the decal guy that has had an original CS6 side decal to use as a template since early December has yet to come up with the template - alledgedly he'll have it done by Thursday so we'll see :)

Went to see the CS today to see what progress had been made - not much is the short answer.........the beltline trim is off as is the rear spoiler (have to say it looks very cool without it and I'm wondering if I should have the boltholes welded up and the trunklid repainted) and the hoodpin bezels (is that the right term?).

Apparently the main delay is the decal guy that has had an original CS6 side decal to use as a template since early December has yet to come up with the template - alledgedly he'll have it done by Thursday so we'll see :)

Make sure he knows you need that back in pristine condition....lol...

The going is.....well, slow I think is the only way to describe it. The shop owner has overbooked himself which means that my car seems to be getting bumped down the list of priorities.

In two and a half weeks they have removed the beltline mouldings, removed the sidescoops, put plastic on the roof and removed the decal on one side (the last two things happened today after I paid them a visit last night and suggested that my buddy (the painter) convey to the owner that my patience was wearing thin and that when I stop by after work tomorrow that I'd better see my car ready to go into the booth....well my exact words were "tell him I expect to see it ready for paint by wednesday or the fuse on my temper will burn out & I'll rip him a new one"....perhaps he doesn't want to see my mean side..lol).

Make sure he knows you need that back in pristine condition....lol...

Got the decals back yesterday, checked them today - they're still as I described them to you Randy.

I'm hanging on to them until my car has the template laid out so I can do a comparison, after that they can head east.

• 2 weeks later...

My car has been bumped down the list of priorities far too many times for my liking but it's day to be painted is almost here.....

The template for the side decals is on, the car is prepped...she just needs to be masked off and then painted........hopefully the shop keeps their word and that day comes on Tuesday. That would mean she'd be sanded and polished on Wednesday so back home before next weekend.

Sanding & polishing started on Friday - there are two small things they need to get up to my standards before I'll accept her as done and pay them so hopefully this will be done next week.

Hopefully it's a case of good things come to those who wait.

• 2 weeks later...

The above mentioned issues have been fixed - back to sanding and polishing though my spoiler & fuel filler door need to be (re)painted. She has a few new tricks up her sleeve which will be revealed in good time - first she has to come home and be detailed back to my normal standards then new pics will be taken.

Well I was hoping to have her back home this past weekend but my buddy went a little too hard on the polisher and went through the clearcoat on one fender - it was re-done yesterday...sanding and polishing tomorrow, reattach the sidescoops and hood trim...I'll reattach emblems in a couple of weeks after the paint has had more time to cure.

History repeated itself as my friend went through the clearcoat on the other fender this weekend...he was pissed at himself but all I could do was laugh.......Violet is like her owner, stubborn to the last...lol

Anyhow, the fender was repainted, sanded and polished without incident....the sidescoops and trim are all on and she came home just in time for a snowstorm to keep her in the garage. I have a few hours of detailing ahead of me to get her back up to standard but she's looking great. Will take pics when the snow has gone again.

Archived