TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Bruce Springsteen Song

Really did nothing for me. I am not a huge fan of his music though. I only liked the Born in the USA album back in the day.

"Back in the day" for me would have been the Born to Run album in 1973-1974. I think the last thing I own of his is "The River" from around 1980.

We're talking 8-track tapes and vinyl, damn I'm getting old!

"Back in the day" for me would have been the Born to Run album in 1973-1974. I think the last thing I own of his is "The River" from around 1980.

We're talking 8-track tapes and vinyl, damn I'm getting old!

I hear you...Sounds like I'm about 10 years younger than you...but I did have 8-tracks and records too! I can't believe all my favorite albums are 30 years old now. As many times as I say that...it just doesn't register with me. Can't believe it. Good gosh....better start doing some "fun" living now..before it's too late. lol.

Not a big Fan of Bruce. Ever since I saw an interview of him and they talked about the Song "Born In The USA". The song backfired on him. The Song was a Bash on the USA. After that, I stopped being a Fan.

I hear you...Sounds like I'm about 10 years younger than you...but I did have 8-tracks and records too! I can't believe all my favorite albums are 30 years old now. As many times as I say that...it just doesn't register with me. Can't believe it. Good gosh....better start doing some "fun" living now..before it's too late. lol.

Yeah, it was a nice slap in the face the first time I tuned in the oldies station and a song was on that I remembered as a new release.........What's that saying from the Shawshank Redemption? "get busy living or get busy dying" it all goes by so fast

Not a big Fan of Bruce. Ever since I saw an interview of him and they talked about the Song "Born In The USA". The song backfired on him. The Song was a Bash on the USA. After that, I stopped being a Fan.

That really bothered me too. I had no idea about the meaning when it first came out...as I wasn't really aware of the big picture at that young of age. They played that song so much and almost side by side with the national anthem. UGH!

Yeah, it was a nice slap in the face the first time I tuned in the oldies station and a song was on that I remembered as a new release.........What's that saying from the Shawshank Redemption? "get busy living or get busy dying" it all goes by so fast

I am constantly thinking about that stuff! HA! Yeah, our oldies station plays "my" music now. LOL! and hearing all the songs that I love played on "musak" now - wow. Never thought that was going to happen. Still great music though. I will never outgrow it.

The Van Halen video and song was okay. Not really a big fan of it. I'm more into his older stuff.

As of the Bruce Springsteen song, the video was posted mostly for the song and not the video itself. But I still understand not liking the video itself otherwise.

I like the new song, but at that same time kind of has sort of a blandness like Born in the USA. I like Bruce's songs where it psyches you up before the chorus. Sort of like a rollercoaster feeling to it. Songs like Rosalita, Thunder Road, The Promised Land, and Trapped. Like that rollercoaster feeling before the chorus if you know what I mean.

Wow - I like that new Springsteen song and the new Van Halen too! They both just 'sound' like what I fondly remember of each artist AND the songs make me feel good. I am 48 myself and still have my DENON turntable that I bought in the U.S. Navy back in 1985 hooked up to my sound system in my main living room. Love my vinyl! I have heard 5 tracks (or pieces of anyhow) of the new Van Halen and they have that old swagger back. The only thing missing is Michael Anthony on bass AND backing vocals. The Springsteen is solo and not E-Street band material so it has guest drummers such as Matt Chamberlain. Myself being a drummer I tend to love a band with their 'original' drummer as that is genuinely the heartbeat of the music. But, Matt is a damn fine drummer himself having actually been a member of Pearl Jam for a brief period as well as a phenomenal session drummer.

They both just 'sound' like what I fondly remember of each artist AND the songs make me feel good. I have heard 5 tracks (or pieces of anyhow) of the new Van Halen and they have that old swagger back. The only thing missing is Michael Anthony on bass AND backing vocals.

The more I listen to the van halen song...the more it grows on me. I heard few clips of the other songs too. I think I'll probably pick up a ticket and see them again on tour. Michael Anthonys backing vocals are missed big time..but only because you KNOW of them...They always took the song to another notch. The song is great on it's own, as is...but could be even better with Michael.

The more I listen to the van halen song...the more it grows on me. I heard few clips of the other songs too. I think I'll probably pick up a ticket and see them again on tour. Michael Anthonys backing vocals are missed big time..but only because you KNOW of them...They always took the song to another notch. The song is great on it's own, as is...but could be even better with Michael.

I hear ya' BurningBlue! For those in the know Anthony's backing vocals are trademark Van Halen. I am definitely picking up the new release when it hits the streets next week!

I was thinking about that too..but I just ended up buying the CD. It's only $9.99 from Amazon. They also have a deluxe version..but it just has an extra DVD with three acoustic perfomances...and it wasn't worth the extra $5 for me. Dave really got some of the vintage phrasing down on this album with his vocals - much different than his solo work.

$9.99 sounds way more than fair so I think I will head over to Amazon and pick it up! Also, I think you and I are the only ones still even reading this thread! ;) If we lived closer I'd invite you over for a new Van Halen listening party and a cold one!! Oh, and you are so right - Diamond Dave does have that old-school VH phrasing down! "Have you seen Junior's grades?!"

HA! I was thinking the same thing...been a while since I ran into someone truly excited about an album and music in general. Would be cool to just relax and crank up the music. I used to hang out with local musicians "back in the day" and I remember how much positive energy was around a new release of an artist. I guess I don't talk much about music to any of the people that I know now - maybe an age difference thing...or that a lot of the music just isn't very intriguing. Don't get me wrong...there is still good stuff out there...you just need to know where to look.

Archived