TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett Jackson Photos Scottsdale Jan 2012

twobjshelbys

Very cool.................looking forward to it Tony.

I've gotta make that event sometime.

Just pulled up Saturday's raw images. There are 336 images converting from full sized raw to postable jpegs. That will take about 1 hour. Then I have to cull the duplicates and bucketize them. And I'm not even exposure adjusting or anything (i.e., "photoshopping" - they are what they are - and fortunately I'm good so they don't need much :) ). But here's the part - there are lots of pieces that I took over periods of time that need to be coalesced by topic, and that nature of editing is going to take some time. Like I said, Saturday...

OK, got some more sorted and uploaded. These will be the Saturday "generally wandering around" photos. The special cars (e.g., 300SL Gullwing and Tucker) and some others which I also took on Saturday will be posted in their own groups.

On the way to Westworld I followed a '08 Barrett SGT Convertible. He got into a parking area that required a special permit so I couldn't find out more about the owner or the car.

DSC_2228.jpg

This is "Frenchy". He is one of the drivers that brings cars across the block. He drove my Cobra and was so helpful in getting it ready. A really good guy that does BJ as a second job. He's an engineer at the nuclear power plant nearby. I've looked him up at every auction I've gone to.

DSC_2335.jpg

DSC_2341.jpg

DSC_2343.jpg

This was some "custom" from a collection (the same one that had the Mustangs from the earlier day). Look at the dash - it's from some kind of airplane.

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2352.jpg

DSC_2353.jpg

More cars in the same area

DSC_2354.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2360.jpg

DSC_2361.jpg

DSC_2367.jpg

DSC_2370.jpg

DSC_2375.jpg

DSC_2379.jpg

Saturday Part 2

Ferrari 599. Really sweet.

DSC_2381.jpg

DSC_2482.jpg

DSC_2472.jpg

DSC_2473.jpg

DSC_2477.jpg

DSC_2480.jpg

DSC_2481.jpg

An oldie but not part of the high value collection series.

DSC_2492.jpg

Shelby 85th Superformance GT40. It sold for 120K+10%. a fair price about what it cost to build.

DSC_2493.jpg

Devon GTX. It looks slick.

DSC_2502.jpg

DSC_2503.jpg

This is supposedly the very frist original General Lee (the one that appears in the intro jumping over bridges creeks and other cars. Even had the cracked windshield :)

DSC_2504.jpg

DSC_2507.jpg

57 Belair!

DSC_2509.jpg

I went out and talked to the Roush guys about the problems I had with my engine and they had pictures of it in their book! Cool. I'm tagging this with CSX4005LA so it might show up in searches.

DSC_2515.jpg

Cute girls serve beer :)

DSC_2644.jpg

More of the Ferrari 599

DSC_2651.jpg

DSC_2654.jpg

Some more Gulf GT40 art. This is the one mine is numbered after.

DSC_2658.jpg

DSC_2659.jpg

DSC_2662.jpg

They have little bits of everything there!!! These were nice.

DSC_2663.jpg

Who needs a guard dog. Just put one of these by your front door :)

DSC_2664.jpg

BJ has a collectibles auction that happens daily before the main auction, but "garage collectibles" are everywhere.

DSC_2667.jpg

This is the first of the 5000 Series cars. These cars were the highlights of the auction. All were absolutely concours cars across the board.

I'm starting with the 1954 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. This is without a doubt the most beautiful car I've ever seen. I have lusted over one of these since I saw a picture of one. Even more than the Cobra. Many are in museums not because of the rarity but purely because they were a piece of art. Imagine driving a Picasso or the Mona Lisa.

I actually missed this car going over the auction block because I was hanging out with the Shelby Team and then ran into someone else on the way. This car sold for $2.2M ($2M+10%). Not a bad start for, as Craig Jackson described it, a catalog sale within a regular auction.

DSC_2229.jpg

DSC_2230.jpg

DSC_2231.jpg

DSC_2233.jpg

DSC_2235.jpg

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2237.jpg

DSC_2238.jpg

DSC_2388.jpg

DSC_2389.jpg

DSC_2392.jpg

DSC_2394.jpg

DSC_2397.jpg

DSC_2398.jpg

DSC_2399.jpg

DSC_2400.jpg

Beautiful stuff.....................thanks for posting Tony. This is a lot of work and I really appreciate you taking the time. :salute:

If I thought I could I'd take my buyout and go take pictures. But the last person I know that was successful at it during his lifetime was Ansel Adams.

So I got to go behind the ropes. Here are pics of the 1948 Tucker from both sides. The car sold for $2.65M(+10%). The only thing is I was being rushed by the "keeper" and totally forgot to get a picture of the interior!

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2215.jpg

DSC_2217.jpg

DSC_2300.jpg

DSC_2307.jpg

DSC_2311.jpg

DSC_2430.jpg

DSC_2433.jpg

DSC_2435.jpg

DSC_2593.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

The Speed TV guy trying to get a light on the cyclops light.

DSC_2605.jpg

The engine. It's an aircraft (helicoptor?) engine. Pretty small in the engine compartment compared to other engines of the day. Don't know how much HP it puts out.

DSC_2609.jpg

DSC_2611.jpg

Here is the 1947 Bentley. This was a gorgeous car, and had won so many coucours class trophys that it was "off" for a while. Eligible again! The new owner gets to start taking home best of class over and over again until they get told "you've won too many times and need to take a break".

This car sold for $2.5M+10%. The BJ web site says it includes the 10% but that would make the sale price.

DSC_2296.jpg

DSC_2297.jpg

These old cars had hood ornaments that in their own right were works of art. I've included a few of the Bently here but I'll have a whole set of just hood ornaments. A few years ago I went to the Clive Cussler collection and veg'd out on hood ornaments too. Maybe I'll do a coffee table book.

DSC_2301.jpg

DSC_2304.jpg

This car is a 40's throwback to the 20's when RR and Bentley and even Mercedes didn't produce a car - they made a chassis and sent it to a "Coachworks". I was awe-struck at the body styiling and to some degree "art-deco" trim details. This is a really awesome car and one that I say I can't do justice in photos, especially with the harsh lighting in the arena. If you get a chance at a show, see this one. I'm sure it will be back on the circuit again some time soon.

I furthermore think there should be a rule that someone who buys one of cars in this class (Tucker included) shouldn't be allowed to keep it a secret nor should they be allowed to just lock it in a garage. This car and the Tucker were from Ron Pratte's collection and while I always thought his tastes are impeccable, I will always lament the fact that he keeps them tucked away in a lock box.

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2386.jpg

DSC_2438.jpg

Sorry about this one. It's the only one I have of the interior, and it's hand held (as all of these photos are) and the light meter got fooled and made a slow shutter speed (probably the white in the upper center) so this is nothing more than a poor snapshot. I shoot a camera (even the digital) like film most of the time and don't look at (and sometimes turn off) the viewing screen so I didn't re-take it. Sigh...

b

DSC_2440.jpg

The "x" pattern is from the overhad lights and trusses. This black paint was like nothing you've ever seen. I wanted to dust it but didn't have my duster [those who know me know I have this Mr. Monk OCD about black paint].

DSC_2441.jpg

DSC_2442.jpg

DSC_2571.jpg

Tonight was reruns on TV so watching DVR recordings from when I was in Scottsdale including House and the new Alcatraz show (thumbs clearly sideways - I'll give it a few more shows).

Anyway, this is the Delehaye. The final price was $175K with reserve not met. I can't believe this car with this history did not sell and stopped at less than a daily driver FGT. Lots of things went for big bucks but this one was a total shock. It is so gorgeous. I do have a soft spot for open roadsters and cars with leather belts and buckles to hold the hood down.

Herewith images.

DSC_2329.jpg

DSC_2465.jpg

DSC_2559.jpg

DSC_2560.jpg

DSC_2561.jpg

DSC_2562.jpg

I dont' have a session planned for "butt ornaments" so this sone stands here :)

DSC_2563.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So Photobucket warned me that I was using too much bandwidth from all you people looking at my pictures so I slowed down a little. I decided tonight would be a good night to post a few more.

Again, these are all from the "5000" series.

Lot 5002.1 (54) sold for 1.3M (+10%), Lot 5008.1 sold for 205000+10%,

DSC_2295.jpg

DSC_2289.jpg

DSC_2446.jpg

DSC_2447.jpg

DSC_2523.jpg

DSC_2526.jpg

DSC_2288.jpg

DSC_2285.jpg

DSC_2287.jpg

DSC_2612.jpg

Archived