TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cool Cosby piece

John Canfield

If you were around back then...it wasn't that much of a stretch!

Two videos I'd love to find are the episode of the Monkees TV show that had a Cobra Daytona in it, with the tire coming off the car and the white Halibrand and tire rolling down the hill, chasing on of the shows stars. The other is a clip from Adam 12 where they bust a chop shop and there's a '69 or '70 Grabber Blue Shelby in the shop.

Nice find eagle eye...cool car, but whats up with that blouse he is wearing :hysterical2:

Most definitely had to be there back then to understand and appreciate the times and styles. Those late 60’s/early 70’s were a time of discovery. Black people were discovering their African roots and tribal clothing and colors while white boys like me were into bell bottom pants, big bloused long sleeve shirts, Beatle haircuts, Rock and Roll music, and dodging the draft.

While I thought the 1969 Shelby GT-350/500 was the coolest looking car ever to put rubber to the road with those gigantic those F60x15 Goodyear Polyglass tires, I also knew I could never afford one as they were around $5000 brand new in 1969/70. Most of us considered them more of a high performance Thunderbird than a Mustang. While the looks were cool, the extra weight of that cool looking luxury and price was not enough to offset the $1500 dollar cheaper price and lighter weight of a standard Mustang or Mach 1 with the optional 428 Cobra Jet motor .

While it may be said that youth is wasted on the young; the knowledge gained through experience and age is truly priceless. Now if I could just figure out how to turn these Diecast 1:24 scale vehicles into 1:1 life size cars, I'd truly be happy. Right, John? :drool: Nice find by the way.

The only Daytona to race in competition with the #13 was CSX2299, but that was in Daytona at the beginnign of 1965. This episode was much later than that.

I've heard the Daytona had a lot of different names...but I'd never heard 'the Klutzmobile'...here's a link to that episode information...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0650685/

If you were around back then...it wasn't that much of a stretch!

Two videos I'd love to find are the episode of the Monkees TV show that had a Cobra Daytona in it, with the tire coming off the car and the white Halibrand and tire rolling down the hill, chasing on of the shows stars. The other is a clip from Adam 12 where they bust a chop shop and there's a '69 or '70 Grabber Blue Shelby in the shop.

I just erased that episode off the DVR about a week ago. I thought about importing the epsiode into the PC but figured someone else must have already done so.

Steve

I asked over on the SAAC Forum for confirmation on the car. Vern replied that it was indeed the csx2287 with the distinctive US built body. I watched the video and paused it but it was just to difficult for me to see the details to verify. I'm sure he is correct and would take his word. Besides Phil Spector was a music mogul and the time frame for the TV series airing and his purchase of the car work well together. :salute:

I asked over on the SAAC Forum for confirmation on the car. Vern replied that it was indeed the csx2287 with the distinctive US built body. I watched the video and paused it but it was just to difficult for me to see the details to verify. I'm sure he is correct and would take his word. Besides Phil Spector was a music mogul and the time frame for the TV series airing and his purchase of the car work well together. :salute:

Question of the day: Does anyone know where that car is located at the present time??? I'll tell you if you don't already know. :idea:

The Simone Museum in Pennsylvania. This one car that could easily be the basis of a movie all on its own, or even the basis of a movie about the FIA championship effort.

We have a winner!

DSC_0613.jpg

Man, Davy Jones sure had to shift the automatic a lot! :hysterical2:

Yeah really,

His hand wasn't even touching the shifter, lol.

Funny, I don't recal the Monkey's programs being qiute so corny back then. But thank's for posting!

Scroll to about the 3:45 make in this episode of Bill Cosbys early TV show. Very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Z6OVe8E7A&feature=player_embedded

Wasn't there only like, FOUR of those cars made?

I just read that somewhere. I think it was a '69 GT500 'Vert....

Maybe it was a "S" with a Paxton, or something like that.

Phill

Phil, you might be confusing this car with Cosbys own twin-supercharger Shelby Cobra Super Snake. That car returned to Shelby and was the source of material for Cosby's comedy album 200 MPH. Carroll owned the only other one, and it recently was auctioned off for beaucoup bucks.

Wasn't there only like, FOUR of those cars made?

I just read that somewhere. I think it was a '69 GT500 'Vert....

Maybe it was a "S" with a Paxton, or something like that.

Phill

There were four '66 GT350 convertibles made (green, red, yellow, and blue)

There was one '66 GT350S made (there were other paxton cars built but never with the "S" designation)

There were many '68, '69, and '70 convertible built.

hope that helps, Phil...

Phil, you might be confusing this car with Cosbys own twin-supercharger Shelby Cobra Super Snake. That car returned to Shelby and was the source of material for Cosby's comedy album 200 MPH. Carroll owned the only other one, and it recently was auctioned off for beaucoup bucks.

5.5 mil if I'm not mistaken. :drop:

Archived