TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVTPP Wheels All-Season Tire Option - Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS

Boidster

I've been researching (and researching, and researching, and going in circles...) an acceptable set of all-season performance tires for the OEM SVTPP wheels. I may replace the wheels at some point, but for now I'm concentrating only on new rubber.

I'm leaning towards the Potenza RE970AS in 255/40-19 up front and 275/35-20 for the rear. 10mm narrower at both ends, but RPM is nearly identical and both tires are only about 0.3" smaller in diameter so the car should sit about the same. I won't be going to the track on these tires; I just need to be able to drive in sub-40 temps (dry; not in snow) without losing all the fun from the car. I'll be giving the G:2's a try before I decide, but my guess is I'm going to find them unusable in winter temps, just like most people do.

So anyway, anybody running these tires, SVTPP or no? How are they working? Tire Rack has a good review, and user reviews seem quite positive, but I want to hear from GT500 types. Can't trust a Benz driver. ;)

My kingdom for a 265/40-19 A/S performance tire...

I think these are a fairly new tire, replacing the old 960's. I don't recall anyone in the GT500 forums running them. They seem to be an excellent tire...figures...the make them in the front size of mine..but not the rear! AHH!

Nitto just came out with the Motivo which is an ultra high performance all season. They are scheduled to release more sizes soon - not sure which ones though. These just went on the market in December.

Thanks BBS IV. I'll keep an eye on those Motivos.

I got the car yesterday, and have driven it about 60 miles around town in temps from 35-45. The G:2s are obviously quite hard and noisy, but for relatively calm tooling around town they did just fine. Plenty of traction for normal (for a 550HP car) acceleration in traffic. Right tire chattered several times accelerating out of right turns, but nothing eye-opening. I'm still thinking about replacement tires, but more for quietness/ride and maybe safety down in sub-freezing temps (still on dry roads). Next 40+ day isn't until Monday! :(

I'd get a set of winter wheels, but I really do like the SVT rims. The Shelby CS-1s are also an option...really like that look.

I've been researching (and researching, and researching, and going in circles...) an acceptable set of all-season performance tires for the OEM SVTPP wheels. I may replace the wheels at some point, but for now I'm concentrating only on new rubber.

I'm leaning towards the Potenza RE970AS in 255/40-19 up front and 275/35-20 for the rear. 10mm narrower at both ends, but RPM is nearly identical and both tires are only about 0.3" smaller in diameter so the car should sit about the same. I won't be going to the track on these tires; I just need to be able to drive in sub-40 temps (dry; not in snow) without losing all the fun from the car. I'll be giving the G:2's a try before I decide, but my guess is I'm going to find them unusable in winter temps, just like most people do.

So anyway, anybody running these tires, SVTPP or no? How are they working? Tire Rack has a good review, and user reviews seem quite positive, but I want to hear from GT500 types. Can't trust a Benz driver. ;)

My kingdom for a 265/40-19 A/S performance tire...

Do some searches on here for tires. There are quite a few different posts pertaining to a better daily driver choice of tire. I went with the Continental Extreme Contact DW's based on my research for what I wanted in a daily driven tire. There wasn’t much data on the Potenza RE970AS when I was looking but the DW’s had the best in the categories that were important to me. I know at times I must sound like a spokesman for the company but I’m not, just a very satisfied customer.

The first couple of times I got that little chatter or sideways hop when the tires were cold and a skiddish feeling in the rain convinced me to look for a more suitable tire for me. The original Goodyear tires are fine for some who track their cars. Especially if they put them away for the winters or foul weather but mine’s a daily driver. Much like a soldier in combat, I want to ensure that my ”trooper” had the best boots for its intended purpose in the daily car wars.

Thanks BBS IV. I'll keep an eye on those Motivos.

I got the car yesterday, and have driven it about 60 miles around town in temps from 35-45. The G:2s are obviously quite hard and noisy, but for relatively calm tooling around town they did just fine. Plenty of traction for normal (for a 550HP car) acceleration in traffic. Right tire chattered several times accelerating out of right turns, but nothing eye-opening. I'm still thinking about replacement tires, but more for quietness/ride and maybe safety down in sub-freezing temps (still on dry roads). Next 40+ day isn't until Monday! :(

I'd get a set of winter wheels, but I really do like the SVT rims. The Shelby CS-1s are also an option...really like that look.

Yeah - I don't know when the Motivos might be released or if they will be in the correct size.

Your experience driving is just like I said...drive it like a regular car on the summer tires in the cold weather and it's fine. If you want to be jumping on the accelerator all the time and can't help yourself on the cold days - you will need to look for all-season tires.

Glad to hear that you got you car...that first day is fantastic. Just fun looking at the car and taking it out to get a feel of it.

I know at times I must sound like a spokesman for the company but I’m not, just a very satisfied customer.

Hmm - I don't know Bill...I think that instead of chairs & beds - you have your family sit and sleep on Continental tires! lol...just kidding! I may end up just getting them yet, if you keep vouching for them.

The Conti DWSs were definitely on my radar; I've seen them mentioned many times here and at SVTPerformance. I ended up going with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. $960 delivered. I've had good results with Hankook tires before, and the Evos are getting good reviews on high performance cars. I'll definitely post back with my impressions.

With 150 miles around town, the G:2s have been OK down to about 35 degrees. Wouldn't want to keep them as a cold weather tire, but at least I've been able to drive The Other Woman around a bit. Hardest thing with these tires is backing up into my driveway. Rubber left all over the place. Clutch probably isn't happy either. :-)

The Conti DWSs were definitely on my radar; I've seen them mentioned many times here and at SVTPerformance. I ended up going with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. $960 delivered. I've had good results with Hankook tires before, and the Evos are getting good reviews on high performance cars. I'll definitely post back with my impressions.

With 150 miles around town, the G:2s have been OK down to about 35 degrees. Wouldn't want to keep them as a cold weather tire, but at least I've been able to drive The Other Woman around a bit. Hardest thing with these tires is backing up into my driveway. Rubber left all over the place. Clutch probably isn't happy either. :-)

Curious as to why you went with a summer tire also not recommended below 40 degrees? I know they aren't as much of a track tire as the G:2's - but still not a cold weather tire. Looking forward to your updates on them though.

Curious as to why you went with a summer tire also not recommended below 40 degrees? I know they aren't as much of a track tire as the G:2's - but still not a cold weather tire. Looking forward to your updates on them though.

Because I wanted to become a teamshelby.com legend? Holy crap I misread something somewhere. What a dumbass! Capital-D Dumbass. :doh: Never order anything worth more than $100 very late at night after browsing through a dozen similar items...

So anyway, back to the Continentals... >sigh<

Edit - Called DTD and the dude was most excellent. Said to just refuse the delivery and I won't have to pay return shipping, and to call him with the new order so he can make sure everything goes through smoothly. A+ customer service there.

So, maybe this time, I should read a bit more closely, eh? Dumbass.

Ah, OK, so the reason I didn't go with Continental DW is because I need cold-weather tires, which is why I ordered the summer-only Hankook tires like a dumbass. :rolleyes: The Conti DWS isn't available in 255/40-19, and I'm trying to keep the diameter change in the same direction front and rear (about -1% in the case of 255/40-19 and 275/35-20).

So, for those sizes my options so far seem to be Dunlop Michelin Pilot Sport AS+, Pirelli P-Zero, and Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS. Probably go with the Bridgestones. Blaze a trail for GT500 owners.

Ah, OK, so the reason I didn't go with Continental DW is because I need cold-weather tires, which is why I ordered the summer-only Hankook tires like a dumbass. :rolleyes: The Conti DWS isn't available in 255/40-19, and I'm trying to keep the diameter change in the same direction front and rear (about -1% in the case of 255/40-19 and 275/35-20).

So, for those sizes my options so far seem to be Dunlop Pilot Sport AS+, Pirelli P-Zero, and Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS. Probably go with the Bridgestones. Blaze a trail for GT500 owners.

My Continental DW's have worked great so far this winter during the few freezing days we've had and much better in the sub 40's than the original Goodyears. No hopping or chatter like the F1's did in turning when cold. Snow may be a different question but it's not something I have to worry about..... usually.

Huh, that's good to know. I will not be driving in snow (or rain, if I can help it) - I just didn't want to be garaged on cold winter days that are otherwise dry. Been a very dry winter so far up here, but still cold. If the DWs behave better than the G:2s down into the 20's, then they might fit the bill just fine. I think the G:2s mention to not even let them get down to 20, for fear of cracking. Any such warning with the DWs?

................... I think the G:2s mention to not even let them get down to 20, for fear of cracking. Any such warning with the DWs?

I didn't read the "fine print" but no problems so far. This morning it was 29 degrees on my way to work at 0600 but not a problem. Like i said, the wet is my concern.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know, old thread, just wondering if anyone has any pics of their '11 or '12 SVTPP GT500 with 255/40/19's & 275/35/20's mounted on stock rims...thanks!!

Sorry for the late reply. Pictures are attached! You may need to brighten them up a bit; the wheel-well shadows were pretty dark and the camera was already compensating for the bright paint.

These are Bridgestone RE970ASs.

Bridgestones_sm_2.jpg

Bridgestones_sm_3.jpg

Bridgestones_sm_bright.jpg

Bridgestones_sm_2.jpg

Bridgestones_sm_3.jpg

Bridgestones_sm_bright.jpg

Archived