TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Camaro ZL1 Reviews

Jason1320

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phill, the ZL1 is supercharged.

Thanks Jeff and Freak for straightening me out on that.

But the fact still remains that the GT500 has way more torque than the ZL1 so it makes perfect sense to me that GM gears the ZL1 lower (ratio) than the GT500. That's one of the fist things I learned when I started my quest for information when I turbocharged my '67 Camaro.

Frankly, I'm real surprised that the Camaro, with a 6.2L engine vs the Shelby Mustang's 5.8L makes so much less HP. I never found any info. on the PSI the GM blower is making so I'm assuming it's either considerably less boost or the compression ratio on the GM is less.

Anyone know what the Tq and boost numbers are on the ZL1?

Curious,

Phill

Fast or not, I absolutely hate the interior of the ZL1. Suede dash, door panels , & steering wheel, gages in the center council and blind spots like an RV. Even the S/C cover looks like an after thought. Not sure what the design engineers were going for, maybe if you look at it long enough it grows on you. Aside from my opinion, I think it's great that GM brought the Camaro back. I'm just thankful that all this competition talk is between American car companies and not imports. Don't worry GM, 2nd place is not so bad.

Torque is 556 ft-lbs, and I think boost is around 9-10PSI. I know the blower is smaller (1.9L I think).

The big problem with comparing the two is the heads, 2 valve vs. 4 valve will make a hell of a difference.

The big problem with comparing the two is the heads, 2 valve vs. 4 valve will make a hell of a difference.

Good point. Is it a pushrod motor or OHC?

Because *that* makes a huge difference just in itself.

Phill

Fast or not, I absolutely hate the interior of the ZL1. Suede dash, door panels , & steering wheel, gages in the center council and blind spots like an RV. Even the S/C cover looks like an after thought. Not sure what the design engineers were going for, maybe if you look at it long enough it grows on you. Aside from my opinion, I think it's great that GM brought the Camaro back. I'm just thankful that all this competition talk is between American car companies and not imports. Don't worry GM, 2nd place is not so bad.

Yep gotta agree there... Suede just don't do it for me in any car let alone a muscle car...Especially on the freaking steering wheel.

Yep gotta agree there... Suede just don't do it for me in any car let alone a muscle car...Especially on the freaking steering wheel.

It's not suede, it's alcantra. Which is what the GT500's have wrapped around their steering wheels.

OK, but the GT500's "alcantra" is tastefully integrated on to the steering wheel at 10 & 2 and 8 & 4 o'clock. Its not anywhere else. Come on, this is supposed to be a Muscle car. Again the typical "Fisher Price" GM interior is dressed up in alcantra! It does just not work.

It's not the rear end gear ratio that matters, it's the final drive ratio. That takes the tranmission gearing (per gear), plus the rear end gearing plus the tire diameter to determine.

One car with a lower rear end gear ratio could potentially have a higher final drive ratio, depending on the tire size and transmission gearing since they all play a part in the Final drive ratio.

In the GT500, 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio but they changed the other gear ratios to interact with the 'new' rear gear ratio. I have no idea what the gear ratio is in the Camaro, or which gear is the 1:1 gear. Even then, you'd only be comparing ONE gear (if you were to compare the 1:1 gears) and the tires would still be a variable.

It makes sense that the Camaro is running a lower rear gear ratio than the GT500. The GT5 uses forced induction, the Camaro is Naturally Asperated. Forced induction increases TORQUE and you want to run a lower (numericaly) gear because the increased torque can pull through it where a NA engine has less torque so needs the torque multiplication of a higher (higher numerically, lower ratio) gear.

Phill

Isn't the rear end the same as the Final drive ratio? Speed is basically determined by (Circumference of tire * RPM) / (Transmission Ratio of current gear * differential gear). Regardless I was merely pointing out on the GT500 Ford dropped the gears from 3.73 to 3.31 and 1st gear from 2.97 to 2.66 which means it will be more difficult to break looks the tires in 1st which has historically been the problem.

2010-2012

1st 2.97

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.30

4th 1.00

5th .74

6th .50

Final 3.55(2011-2012 SVT 3.73)

1st 2.66

2nd ?

3rd ?

4th 1.00

5th ?

6th ?

Final 3.31

2012 ZL1

1st 2.66

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.30

4th 1.00

5th .80

6th .63

Final 3.73

OK, but the GT500's "alcantra" is tastefully integrated on to the steering wheel at 10 & 2 and 8 & 4 o'clock. Its not anywhere else. Come on, this is supposed to be a Muscle car. Again the typical "Fisher Price" GM interior is dressed up in alcantra! It does just not work.

You mean not anywhere else on the steering wheel right? Because if you mean not anywhere else in the interior, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

"Tasteful" is an extremely subjective term.

You mean not anywhere else on the steering wheel right? Because if you mean not anywhere else in the interior, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

"Tasteful" is an extremely subjective term.

Yeah I like it on my seats and if it wasn't Tasteful it would't be all over Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and pretty much every other exotic sports car out there. Prefer it over leather really.

Yes, your right, it's on my seats as well, but it doesn't stand out like the Camaro interior. I feel it doesn't belong on the dash, and lets not loose the fact of the Muscle car category it's supposed to be in. I've always had an issue with the GM interiors with Cadillac being the exception. Once again, they followed suit with the ZL1 and it's disappointing.

It's not suede, it's alcantra. Which is what the GT500's have wrapped around their steering wheels.

Call it what you will I still don't like it in a muscle car...I had that on the seat inserts on my 04 Cobra and hated it I like it

even less on a steering wheel...Thanks for the info though always thought it was suede..Matter of fact on my 04 Cobra

it was called suede on the order form... :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

Chris SD:

I did put the widest tires I could fit on all 4 corners.

Car tracks ruts more.

Bet I can out corner a car with lesser tire street or track.

Does not feel unsafe to me on street. But thanks for your link I will read it. Great Chart.

Archived