TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Camaro ZL1 Reviews

Jason1320

GM is obviously bringing a gun to a gunfight. One would expect the GT500 to prevail in any straightline performance contests based on its weight and power. It looks as if the ZL1 will be a stronger player than many on the Blue Oval side of the fence originally prognosticated. The 3.8 second 0-60 time derived from notoriously slow magazine evaluations is a glimpse of the ZL1s ability to transmit power to the pavement. The ZL1 is no joke and that is a good thing to anyone who enjoys the continuation of the Pony car wars, this is fun for all.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the question is what are they going to do with the Corvette???? The Camaro has never had more power than the Vette until now. Now it is not even close, the Vette is beyond due for an updated, has been the same for 6-7 years now.

The ZL1 has more power than the lower models of the Corvette, but not the ZR1. This isn't the first time that's happend, but it has been a while. Though I agree it is overdue, I don't think they're going to be trying to match ZL1 power numbers on the base models.

To keep it as fair as possible, you need to look at the times from the same magazines. I couldn't find 2012 numbers but the best I could find for the 2011 was 12.3. Which seems faster to me.

To make it fair, both cars need to be tested against each other at the same time and track. That is what every one here wants to see. Based on the published times so far, it looks like it may be a driver's race though. If the ZL1 is indeed a tenth or two quicker than the current GT500 (as it should), it most certainly won't be against the 2013 GT500.

GM is obviously bringing a gun to a gunfight. One would expect the GT500 to prevail in any straightline performance contests based on its weight and power. It looks as if the ZL1 will be a stronger player than many on the Blue Oval side of the fence originally prognosticated. The 3.8 second 0-60 time derived from notoriously slow magazine evaluations is a glimpse of the ZL1s ability to transmit power to the pavement. The ZL1 is no joke and that is a good thing to anyone who enjoys the continuation of the Pony car wars, this is fun for all.

You do know that the 2013 GT500 will also have a capable launch/traction control system. :doh:

The boss is a great car but its not the fastest track Mustang, Insideline proved that. The GT500 beat the LS Boss on the same track and on the same day. Times for cars cannot be comparied from different days too many factors involved for the numbers to be a direct comparison especially when the times are close. They started the test with the V-6 and went all the way up to the GT500, which was the fastest period. here's the test http://www.insidelin...ang_fe_111.html

The boss is a great car but its not the fastest track Mustang, Insideline proved that. The GT500 beat the LS Boss on the same track and on the same day. Times for cars cannot be comparied from different days too many factors involved for the numbers to be a direct comparison especially when the times are close. They started the test with the V-6 and went all the way up to the GT500, which was the fastest period. here's the test http://www.insidelin...ang_fe_111.html

To make it fair, both cars need to be tested against each other at the same time and track. That is what every one here wants to see. Based on the published times so far, it looks like it may be a driver's race though. If the ZL1 is indeed a tenth or two quicker than the current GT500 (as it should), it most certainly won't be against the 2013 GT500.

Yes, but we don't have that, which is why I said "as fair as POSSIBLE". And based on the numbers we DO have (ignoring runs from the superhuman known as Evan Smith), I'd say claiming it is no faster then the current GT500 is premature (hell, it might end up being slower than the current one). The 2013 wasn't mentioned in the post I was responding to.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of technology crammed into a pig of a chassis to compete with a 7 year-old chassis and solid rear axle - not to mention cannibalizing a $100K Corvette and $80K CTS-V to make a $55K Camaro. Bailout 2.0 coming soon - to a theater near you.

Lots of technology crammed into a pig of a chassis to compete with a 7 year-old chassis and solid rear axle - not to mention cannibalizing a $100K Corvette and $80K CTS-V to make a $55K Camaro. Bailout 2.0 coming soon - to a theater near you.

GM shares its technology throughout its model lines. Is that something for them to be ashamed of?

Regardless of the camaro's cool exterior styling, impressive high technology and track stats, the overall feel and look of the car from the drivers seat is seriously wanting imo. i've driven an ss (vert) and while i can say that it was a fun ride, from the drivers seat it still has a dark, cavernous, massive tank like feel that for me gets in the way of what should be a clean, uncomplicated, simple, direct driver/car/road relationship. When i've floored it and telephone poles are starting to resemble fence posts, i don't want to feel i have to struggle to see whats going on outside the car..

Who cares, Ford, GM. Mopar just buy the car you like and if its not fast enough for you just make it faster its not hard to do...

So a 550 whippled GT/SC is faster, at least mine is....sweet!

LOL ZL1 is seriously cool IMO.

I have to agree with you about the looks of the Camero. I'm pissed with Ford, they still couldn't give us matching Brembo Brakes (Challenger even has them), and I don't care about the B.S. from the engineer (sorry forgot his name) about tire size. I wanted some FAT MEATS on my new Shelby, not little pea tires and some excuse. The Super Snake can't keep the power to the ground, how the hell is a 650 hp car going to. I liked the new ZL1 better than the Shelby, so this year I bought a new 2012 Raptor instead of my 3rd Shelby. I like the new Shelby rear end but not satisfied with the rest. I'm a car guy and love all makes, and the Camero looks much better this year than the old Shelby. Chevy at least gave their guys what they wanted and more. I really wanted another Shelby this year but just couldn't do it.

+1000.

Not to be a jerk, but to me nothing shows more lack of car history and knowledge than the "I am a ________man mentality". They are all cool from time to time...I like the picture of Mr. Shelby driving that Maserati Birdcage. I once mentioned that picture to a "Ford" guy with a Shelby and he just asked.."Whats a Birdcage". I answered but I don't think he listened past Maserati. LOL.

And as far as bad cars go I am an equal opprotunity hater...every manufacturer has made a few boners....

I agree 100%...Well said...What kind of muscle car war would it be with only one brand.

1: From the Motortrend review it seems like the magnetic suspension did a hell of a job keeping handling very composed and effortless to the driver.

2: I'm also tired of hearing this ZR1 parts bin raiding. Who cares if some of these parts might be on the ZR1. When the hell did that become a bad thing? In this day in age why does a car company have to come up with entirely new stuff for just one car? Why not spread the development costs among multiple cars making things cheaper. Given the MSRP of the ZL1 it did just that.

1: Apparently there are quite a few people on this forum that don't understand the difference between GM's MAGNETIC SUSPENSION (Key word: SUSPENSION) and Ford's ELECTRICLY SWITCHED (Bilstien) HYDRALIC DAMPENING (i.e. Shocks & Struts)with 2 modes, "Comfort" (street) and "Sport" (track).

One is somewhat related to Mag Lev technology while the other is simply two sets of valving within a single shock/strut body that allows the driver to switch modes with a toggle switch rather than get out of the car and adjust them via manual valves (can you say FRPP FR3?). Hell, even the FR3 gives you more than TWO settings. But hey, who wants to get out of the car, open the hood/trunk and turn 4 screws?

2: Saying GM raided the ZR1 parts bin for the Camaro's suspension is exactly the same thing as saying Ford raided the Ford GT parts bin for the GT500's motor. They DID NOT raid the parts bin, they SHARED TECHNOLOGY. And hey, if Ford can do it with the 5.4L DOHC engine, why can't GM do it with their Magnetic Suspension?

Rhetoric.

Yes folks, I said it...."The King is NAKED!"

Phill

Regardless of the camaro's cool exterior styling, impressive high technology and track stats, the overall feel and look of the car from the drivers seat is seriously wanting imo. i've driven an ss (vert) and while i can say that it was a fun ride, from the drivers seat it still has a dark, cavernous, massive tank like feel that for me gets in the way of what should be a clean, uncomplicated, simple, direct driver/car/road relationship. When i've floored it and telephone poles are starting to resemble fence posts, i don't want to feel i have to struggle to see whats going on outside the car..

I agree 100%, that is the biggest negative. Other than that using parts off the Vette is smart and clearly they right now have beat the Stang, but I do not think that will last long.

I have to agree with you about the looks of the Camero. I'm pissed with Ford, they still couldn't give us matching Brembo Brakes (Challenger even has them), and I don't care about the B.S. from the engineer (sorry forgot his name) about tire size. I wanted some FAT MEATS on my new Shelby, not little pea tires and some excuse. The Super Snake can't keep the power to the ground, how the hell is a 650 hp car going to. I liked the new ZL1 better than the Shelby, so this year I bought a new 2012 Raptor instead of my 3rd Shelby. I like the new Shelby rear end but not satisfied with the rest. I'm a car guy and love all makes, and the Camero looks much better this year than the old Shelby. Chevy at least gave their guys what they wanted and more. I really wanted another Shelby this year but just couldn't do it.

What a rant, Your entitled to your opinion but, in some areas, your dead wrong. Ill trust Jamal to engineer the car rather than your bigger is better approach. And Really, what about the Mustang based on 60 platform?? I thought for sur you were going to Say you like the ZL1 so much more that your bought one. Maybe you should.

What a rant, Your entitled to your opinion but, in some areas, your dead wrong. Ill trust Jamal to engineer the car rather than your bigger is better approach. And Really, what about the Mustang based on 60 platform?? I thought for sur you were going to Say you like the ZL1 so much more that your bought one. Maybe you should.

I'm a True Blue Ford Guy who's sick and tired of the ridiculious put downs regarding other car manufactures. I thought all of us were car enthusiasts. Thanks to other manufactures pushing the limits only causes further developement and improvements. And I sure did think about buying the new ZL1, its one heck of a nice car.

But, I've supported Ford Motor Company by buying a 2007 Shelby GT, 2010 GT500 Shelby, 2009 F-150 Platinum, 2010 F-150 Platuinum, 2011 AWD limited Edge, 2012 SEL Focus and finally a loaded 2012 Raptor, I still own the last three. I expected Ford to step up to the plate and give us, the guys on this forum what we've been asking for. I should have just saved my money and bought a Ford GT, then I would have had nothing to complain about.

I completely disagree. I think the new camaro is one ugly machine. I wince ever time I see one on the road. The Shelby is much superior. I have a good friend who is a 'GM guy' and he agrees with me. He hates the look of the camaro...looks like a squashed caddy....LOL.

You should go ahead and buy a '13 Shelby. You'll be glad you did. The ZL1 won't be able to compete with it.

I have a 2011 Raptor and really like it but there are frame buckling issues. Do some research and you will find that not all of them are related to jumping the Raptor like you see in the ads. So far Ford has made no comment but the issues are coming out the longer the trucks are out there.

For the 2013 GT500, Ford detunes it with an extra 100 HP :happy feet:

More seriously, one can endlessly debate how the various Ford v8's in different models and across different years are related or not related and how they evolved to create the current product offerings. Describing the GT500 motor as simply a detuned Ford GT motor is probably a bit simplistic.

I have a 2011 Raptor and really like it but there are frame buckling issues. Do some research and you will find that not all of them are related to jumping the Raptor like you see in the ads. So far Ford has made no comment but the issues are coming out the longer the trucks are out there.

Thanks, I've been all over the Raptor forum and read the concerns about the frame. I won't be putting mine through any rigorous stress test. I just wanted something different and unique to drive for now. Even when I owned my 2010 Shelby (same as your profile pic) I would drive and enjoy it, but wouldn't get to crazy or insane.

I'm willing to bet the 2014 GT 500 is going to be everything we've been asking for, at least I hope it is.

Thanks, I've been all over the Raptor forum and read the concerns about the frame. I won't be putting mine through any rigorous stress test. I just wanted something different and unique to drive for now. Even when I owned my 2010 Shelby (same as your profile pic) I would drive and enjoy it, but wouldn't get to crazy or insane.

I'm willing to bet the 2014 GT 500 is going to be everything we've been asking for, at least I hope it is.

As long as Chev is on Fords azz with the Maro then you will deff see the 14's wilder than even the 13's but if there's no

comp from Chev or Dodge bet the Stang stays the same as the 013...Like we said before thank the comp for making the

Ford even better year after year...Love this muscle car war.

And it works, the Shelby is based on a platform from the ugh, 60's.

I've got to hear this one. Please explain the 60's platform comment. I'm pretty sure my '65 leaf spring rear, shock through coil front, drum brake all around is a bit different then the modern Mustang.

If you're going to bring up the stick axle rear end and no Brembo rear brakes, let's look at the results of the Continental race in Daytona last weekend. Seems to all work pretty well against all the IRS competition. And yes, the Mustang Boss302R has stock stamped steel third link, panhard bar (adjustable for length only for centering, mounted as stock). Only thing they are allowed is to remove the stock coil spring and add a coil over shock where the stock shock goes. No watts link, nothing like that. You know what makes it handle so well? Total soft set up. Chinsey 1/2" sway bar that doesn't do much, 250lb or less coil overs, that's it. The modifications allowed to Chevy and BMW to make the IRS work just as well are pretty extensive. Drives me crazy that Ford will eventually fold on the stick rear axle just because the public and media thinks they need it, because everybody else is doing it. I would imagine that the 2014/15 will have IRS, but probably not because it is so much better. It's only going to add weight, cost, more moving parts, and complexity where it is not needed.

Putting over 800 miles on my buddies SS Camaro, there is no question about what car is more to my liking. I was not impressed about much other than the power was nice. But everybody is entitled to their opinions. I've also had the chance to drive a new SRT8 Challenger. I like that car second out of the three. Some parts better than the Mustang, but can't get around the massiveness and the weight. I'm am really happy also that the bow tie folks are building a heck of a car in the ZL1. No question that it is a pretty awesome machine. Keeps the competition fierce so that we can all enjoy the amazing times that we are in right now! With the strict rules coming in the next few years, it's looking like the 70's all over again, so enjoy it while we can! It will never be that bad as we have all the modern creature comforts and being able to build very efficient, powerful machines. But the 650hp V8's are probably not long for the world in a production vehicle.

I've got to hear this one. Please explain the 60's platform comment. I'm pretty sure my '65 leaf spring rear, shock through coil front, drum brake all around is a bit different then the modern Mustang.

I wondered when someone would bite at that one.

IMO, the term "BASED ON" is being used pretty liberally in that statement.

Yeah, it's a unit body construction but compare the front subframe on a '65 Mustang to a new Mustang and you'll see that it's nothing like the unit body of old.

Leaf spring vs coil spring rear suspension.

Macpherson Strut vs double A-arm/spring/shock front suspension.

Drum vs. (4-wheel) Disc brakes.

Pushrod Over Head Valve (OHV), Iron block/head Naturally Asperated V-8 vs.Double Over Head Cam (DOHC) Aluminum block/head Supercharged V-8.

A guy could go on for days.

"Based on"? Based on what? A uni-body with a solid rear axle is about the only common factor between the two.

Phill

As long as Chev is on Fords azz with the Maro then you will deff see the 14's wilder than even the 13's but if there's no

comp from Chev or Dodge bet the Stang stays the same as the 013...Like we said before thank the comp for making the

Ford even better year after year...Love this muscle car war.

Well put, +1

I wondered when someone would bite at that one.

IMO, the term "BASED ON" is being used pretty liberally in that statement.

Yeah, it's a unit body construction but compare the front subframe on a '65 Mustang to a new Mustang and you'll see that it's nothing like the unit body of old.

Leaf spring vs coil spring rear suspension.

Macpherson Strut vs double A-arm/spring/shock front suspension.

Drum vs. (4-wheel) Disc brakes.

Pushrod Over Head Valve (OHV), Iron block/head Naturally Asperated V-8 vs.Double Over Head Cam (DOHC) Aluminum block/head Supercharged V-8.

A guy could go on for days.

"Based on"? Based on what? A uni-body with a solid rear axle is about the only common factor between the two.

Phill

I should have been more explicit, I was referring to the straight axle only. My first car was a 66 GT Mustang that I puchased in 1974. I rebuilt the engine, trans and installed a 9 inch rear end with a nodular pumkin with 4.33's and a Detriot Locker. I am very familiar with the earlier years.

Then why does the Ford GT, which is lighter and has less HP And Tq than the new 2013 Shelby have bigger rear wheels and tires, 315/40ZR19. I guess its just for looks and has nothing to do with traction or handling? Lets see what Jamal has for 2014, willing to guess he'll change his tune and the car will have bigger wheels and tires on all four corners. Yes I do like the looks of the ZL1, not the other Camero models (ie) Shelby's are different from other mustang models. I did learn how to drive a stick in a 69 Z28 Camero in the early 70's but my first car was a 66 GT Mustang. Come to think of it, I was watching the Barrett-Jackson Auction and the Camero's seem to be pretty popular when it came to bidding time.

Archived