TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered new tires

mullens

Pardon my intrusion; but I find the topic helpful, as our new to us 2007 bone stock GT500 with 12,300 miles is in need of new shoes.

I had planned on Nitto 555 E’s as, they have been working well for us on the ’05 GT.. Not as sticky as a Track tire, but very long lasting and decent handling.

The new GT500 has a few more HP then our GT, so with what I have been reading in the forums here (never paid much attention to the GT500 forums, as I did not own one) I think the long wearing (harder compound) of the 555 may be overpowered by the GT500, even in stock mode….

The Nitto INVO is a thought, but the 295/35/18 is a bit smaller and a bit wider than the 285 /40 18 GY F1 on there now. The wider is fine, but the very short aspect ratio makes me wonder, and of course smaller rolling diameter, means the speedo will be off, and final drive ratio a little shorter. Anyone actually running a set? They are new to me, so I’ve not driven anything with them yet.

This is a daily driver, 60 miles a day minimum… weekend could be zero miles to 1000 depending on what we feel like doing..or going. While I’m not into racing on the street, and tend to keep speeds to a umm, “reasonable” limit.. Every corner is used to make me grin, and if the speed limit on the freeway is, 65, 75, 80.. I feel obligated to be at that speed, as quickly as possible…. You know for safeties sake and all.

Thanks

Erik

Kempner TX (Afghanistan)

Pardon my intrusion; but I find the topic helpful, as our new to us 2007 bone stock GT500 with 12,300 miles is in need of new shoes.

I had planned on Nitto 555 E’s as, they have been working well for us on the ’05 GT.. Not as sticky as a Track tire, but very long lasting and decent handling.

The new GT500 has a few more HP then our GT, so with what I have been reading in the forums here (never paid much attention to the GT500 forums, as I did not own one) I think the long wearing (harder compound) of the 555 may be overpowered by the GT500, even in stock mode….

The Nitto INVO is a thought, but the 295/35/18 is a bit smaller and a bit wider than the 285 /40 18 GY F1 on there now. The wider is fine, but the very short aspect ratio makes me wonder, and of course smaller rolling diameter, means the speedo will be off, and final drive ratio a little shorter. Anyone actually running a set? They are new to me, so I’ve not driven anything with them yet.

This is a daily driver, 60 miles a day minimum… weekend could be zero miles to 1000 depending on what we feel like doing..or going. While I’m not into racing on the street, and tend to keep speeds to a umm, “reasonable” limit.. Every corner is used to make me grin, and if the speed limit on the freeway is, 65, 75, 80.. I feel obligated to be at that speed, as quickly as possible…. You know for safeties sake and all.

Thanks

Erik

Kempner TX (Afghanistan)

Nicely put on your daily usage (LOL). Look on a site like Tire Rack and compare the tires side by side. Then pick out the qualities that are important to you:

http://www.tirerack....rearDiameter=18

• 3 weeks later...

I'm far from being an expert on these but I would be wary of mixing tread types. I think I'd go with all four tires being the same brand type/tread pattern unless I was going drag racing everyday and needed slicks (LOL). I'm a huge fan of the DW's but while I do have some days when the temps dip below 40 degrees, snow is not a concern where I live. I've got over 3,000 miles on my DW's now with a few days below 40 and lot's of rain and I absolutly love the way they handle, feel, and ride everyday.

I put 16,000 plus miles and one winter on the original Goodyear F1's and I was always concerned in cold or rain. They still had 5/32 to 7/32's tread left but after the first few sideway "hops" in colder weather and lack of confidence in the rain, I was ready for a more daily driver friendly tire and found it. I know there are other tires for more or less money but the DW's have been the best for me period.

Did the Conti's improve your wheel hop?

I put the DW's on my SGT-C and was very happy with them, but that car does not experience wheel hop.

Did the Conti's improve your wheel hop?

I put the DW's on my SGT-C and was very happy with them, but that car does not experience wheel hop.

Are you talking about straight line acceleration wheel hop or the cold weather Goodyear F1 “side step” type hop? The cold weather hop is gone, however I haven't seen any long periods of sub-40 degree weather either. But I have yet to have the same cold weather “side hop” with the DW’s that I had experienced with the Goodyear’s several times in similar weather conditions last year.

If you’re talking wheelhop under straight line acceleration, I can’t speak to that subject. I’m not a “smoke’um if you got’um” type guy and seldom take off the traction control. However I thought the later model GT-500 had improvements in the suspension to help that too.

I really hate talking about the DW’s anymore because people must think I’m a spokesman for the company getting a commission. I’m not, but what the heck, if you get a set and them like because of something I said, send me $5 and we’ll call it even (LOL, J/K). They have been super tires for me in what I look for in a tire (daily driver and safety in the wet as well as good handling day to day). B)

Are you talking about straight line acceleration wheel hop or the cold weather Goodyear F1 “side step” type hop? The cold weather hop is gone, however I haven't seen any long periods of sub-40 degree weather either. But I have yet to have the same cold weather “side hop” with the DW’s that I had experienced with the Goodyear’s several times in similar weather conditions last year.

If you’re talking wheelhop under straight line acceleration, I can’t speak to that subject. I’m not a “smoke’um if you got’um” type guy and seldom take off the traction control. However I thought the later model GT-500 had improvements in the suspension to help that too.

I really hate talking about the DW’s anymore because people must think I’m a spokesman for the company getting a commission. I’m not, but what the heck, if you get a set and them like because of something I said, send me $5 and we’ll call it even (LOL, J/K). They have been super tires for me in what I look for in a tire (daily driver and safety in the wet as well as good handling day to day). B)

you are not the only one Bill. I have been running the DW's for 2 years now and love them! Mine is not a dd but I have tracked the car, done the drag strip and these tires love to be run hard. I have been extremely pleased w/ them! Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Yo mullens,

I'm convinced. After reading your review/impressions on the Bridgestone RE-11s I went out and ordered me a set for the rear. They should be here in about a week or so and that should give me plenty of time to break them in before I take the car up to Heartland Park for a little exercise on the road course (the driver requires a shake down run or two before Tulsa. The car itself is fine). I will be mixing the Bridgestones with 275/40-19 Pirelli PZero Rossos on the front (they were on the car when I bought it last year), so we will see how this combo works.

And yes, I'm one of "those" people who was never a fan of mixing tire brands or compounds, but I've been driving on Pirelli fronts/Goodyear F1 rears for the last 5 months, so what the heck. I'll try just about anything twice.

Archived