TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered new tires

mullens

I got tired of only being able to use half my horsepower so I ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE 11 for the rear. The research I've done shows these to be pretty good tires with lots of grip. Not as much as MT's but they'll last a lot longer. I'll post a review when the come in. BTW got a smokin deal from Discount Tire Direct. They price match any lower quote with free shipping.

I'm interested to hear how these tires perform. I can't figure out for the life of me what the differences are in the handful of Bridgestone Potenza summer tires? It seems like they're making several tires that directly compete with one another? Where did you find the Bridgestones cheaper than DTD, which got DTD to price match?

Onlinetires.com had them at $623 shipped for the pair. DTD was at $670 and they came down and gave me them for $620 shipped. As long as you can provide a lower price and they confirm it, they will match or beat it. BTW they had to search pretty hard to find two for me. Onlinetires told me they couldn't get them as they were on a national backorder. All the reviews I've read have been positive. We'll see.

Yes these are my DD tires. I did alot of research and the RE11's seem to have the right combination of stickiness and longevity. That's why I didn't go with the MT's. You can street them but they are really meant for the track. I don't have the scratch to be putting out $700 every 4k miles. As far as two different wear ratings, the F1's are 220 and the RE11's are 180. No biggie in my book.I had Nitto 555r's on my 08 with F1's in front with no issues. I really don't drive that hard into corners. I just wanted more grip in the rear.

Yes these are my DD tires. I did alot of research and the RE11's seem to have the right combination of stickiness and longevity. That's why I didn't go with the MT's. You can street them but they are really meant for the track. I don't have the scratch to be putting out $700 every 4k miles. As far as two different wear ratings, the F1's are 220 and the RE11's are 180. No biggie in my book.I had Nitto 555r's on my 08 with F1's in front with no issues. I really don't drive that hard into corners. I just wanted more grip in the rear.

Thanks for all the info and thoughts Mullens...the reason I ask...I am in need of tires...and was thinking about going with the Continental Extremecontact DW's on the front and the Extremecontact DWS's on the rear to get some cold weather snow grip if needed. I keep going back and forth about the F1's or the Continentals...Thought I had settled on the F1's again - but everyone raves about the Continentals so much that I almost feel crazy not to try them.

I hear you about the money needed to set yourself up with some tires! It's going to hurt...but they last me almost 3 years with my driving.

I've read real good reviews on the DSW's also. You really can't go wrong with them. They do have a 340 wear rating, which is a little confusing. Sticky tires are not supposed to have that high number. Guess you can't always go by numbers.

I've read real good reviews on the DSW's also. You really can't go wrong with them. They do have a 340 wear rating, which is a little confusing. Sticky tires are not supposed to have that high number. Guess you can't always go by numbers.

Yeah - the treadwear rating is brand name specific. It would be nice if it was a universal rating...funny with so many "ratings" being regulated these days, you would think tires would also fall under it by now. The DWS's have a "540" rating and the DW's have "340". I think this is what I'm going to do. I don't do any "pushing to the limits" driving...or hard cornering like you. So I think I will give that set up a try. Sidewalls are identical in appearance...so it's no biggie. The tread is different...but heck you can't even see much of the tread on the front wheels.

Yeah - the treadwear rating is brand name specific. It would be nice if it was a universal rating...funny with so many "ratings" being regulated these days, you would think tires would also fall under it by now. The DWS's have a "540" rating and the DW's have "340". I think this is what I'm going to do. I don't do any "pushing to the limits" driving...or hard cornering like you. So I think I will give that set up a try. Sidewalls are identical in appearance...so it's no biggie. The tread is different...but heck you can't even see much of the tread on the front wheels.

I'm far from being an expert on these but I would be wary of mixing tread types. I think I'd go with all four tires being the same brand type/tread pattern unless I was going drag racing everyday and needed slicks (LOL). I'm a huge fan of the DW's but while I do have some days when the temps dip below 40 degrees, snow is not a concern where I live. I've got over 3,000 miles on my DW's now with a few days below 40 and lot's of rain and I absolutly love the way they handle, feel, and ride everyday.

I put 16,000 plus miles and one winter on the original Goodyear F1's and I was always concerned in cold or rain. They still had 5/32 to 7/32's tread left but after the first few sideway "hops" in colder weather and lack of confidence in the rain, I was ready for a more daily driver friendly tire and found it. I know there are other tires for more or less money but the DW's have been the best for me period.

Thanks for the thoughts Bill. I could just run the set up and see how it goes...if it's that terrible..I can always get DW's for the back in the future. I have had more trouble deciding on new tires than I did when I was looking for a new car. lol.

... or DWS's for the front (LOL).

Now that Im in the buying mood I'm going to go ahead and replace the fronts too, even though they have a few thousand miles left on them. For some reason the F1's are wearing on the outer edges even though there's tread left in the center. I'm ordering Hankook Ventus K110's for the front.

Now that Im in the buying mood I'm going to go ahead and replace the fronts too, even though they have a few thousand miles left on them. For some reason the F1's are wearing on the outer edges even though there's tread left in the center. I'm ordering Hankook Ventus K110's for the front.

Mullens...that is exactly how mine are wearing and I check pressures every couple weeks and I don't do any crazy driving. Must either be a "tire" thing or just something with our car.

It's an F1 thing. I've read several reviews where others have experienceed the same problem. At first I thought it was my alignment but the rears are worse than the fronts.

Exactly the case with mine...it's not an inner and outer edge thing...it's a gradual wear from outside to inside overall. I really do like the F1's to be honest - I never really "cursed" them other than getting into some light snow once - but that was my fault. Heck, if they made the F-1 all seasons in my size...I would probably jump on those.

I'm surprised that you didn't go with the same tires on the front of your car now that you decided to get them. I assume it's a cash thing? lol...I don't blame you.

BTW: Does anyone know of a good website that keeps up with tire news?...meaning..."Goodyear announced today that they will be adding sizes to the F1 all season tire line-up", etc..news like that. I did run accross a site called "tirereview.com"...but it's more on the industry news...than the customer end of the spectrum.

Exactly the case with mine...it's not an inner and outer edge thing...it's a gradual wear from outside to inside overall. I really do like the F1's to be honest - I never really "cursed" them other than getting into some light snow once - but that was my fault. Heck, if they made the F-1 all seasons in my size...I would probably jump on those.

I'm surprised that you didn't go with the same tires on the front of your car now that you decided to get them. I assume it's a cash thing? lol...I don't blame you.

Was lurking on this thread and felt I'd comment too. I've gotten 26k out of my original stock F1's on the front only. And I drive very hard... Have had 2 sets of rear tires (F1's).

Am currently in need of shoes all the way around and am looking to get a TVS upgrade this spring. Looking forward to your comments on the Bridgestones...

:salute:

My decision to get the K110s in the front was mostly price and the fact that Bridgestone doesn't make the RE11 in my stock front size (255/40/19). Even if they did they are twice the price. I can appreciate you liking the F1's, but they were not an option for me. After 21k miles the outer edges are almost bald and they don't hook up for squat, even in 100 deg weather.Yes I cold have waited a few thousand more miles, but I got tired of driving like I was on ice. I found the K110's at a super price ($340 for the pair shipped) so I couldn't pass it up.Once again DTD did me right and price matched, taking $120 off for the pair. Take it from me jersey, when you get that TVS you WILL need stickier tires.

Was lurking on this thread and felt I'd comment too. I've gotten 26k out of my original stock F1's on the front only. And I drive very hard... Have had 2 sets of rear tires (F1's).

My tires are about shot on the back now - like you I got about 13K out of the back - I doubt I would get 26K out of the front - Maybe 17K.

My tires are about shot on the back now - like you I got about 13K out of the back - I doubt I would get 26K out of the front - Maybe 17K.

I got about 9k out of my first set of rears. :burnout: Rode them like slicks for almost 2k. I've been much better on the second set.

Gents-

i ordered a set (F&R) of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (to go on 20" Alcoas) - as i have not heard great things about the GT350's stock Goodyear G2s, particularly when the weather is under 60 degrees (and we have a lot of that here in beautiful NJ)

if SAI (and the Speed Shop) finish the car prior to Carlisle, Gator and I can get together see how the Michelins hook up in comparison to the Goodyears

Pat

Just got the tracking info on the RE11's. Be here Thu. Hankooks are sitting in my garage.

Sounds great Mullens - looking forward to your updates...Bridgestone also has the S-04 pole position in my size...favorable reviews already but not a ton of them due to just coming out.

I got about 9k out of my first set of rears. :burnout: Rode them like slicks for almost 2k. I've been much better on the second set.

Mine are so close to slicks on the back now. lol.

Wading into this exchange... I'm looking at ordering the Hankook Ventus also as I can't stand

the stock F1's. The F1s were terrible on my C6 and switched them out for Nitto Invos which I loved.

Post your findings on the Hankooks mullens. Those were to be the next set of tires I was going to try on the Vette.

I've shopped around and it looks like there's a $250 - $300 (total) difference between the Hankooks

and the Nittos. I've got a month or two of cold weather before I have to decide.

Archived