TEAM SHELBY FORUM

C-130 Flight Demo at the Paris Air Show

Watch in full screen to really enjoy this flight!!

This is an awesome "in-the-cockpit" C-130 flight demo at the Paris Air show 2011.

I promise you will not regret the six minutes it takes to view. (Full screen, volume up.)

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/cpasley/5495/

Interesting to hear all the automated audio warnings, chimes/bells and gongs going off during the routine. The computer is having a fit about the

way the pilot is flying.

The pilot, however, knows exactly what he is doing. I like the way he talks the obviously well-rehearsed maneuvers to the crew, especially to the copilot.

Superb flying, great crew coordination.

The 4-way split screen at the end is neat.

Fighter jocks and people who have watched Blue Angels and Thunderbirds videos cannot appreciate what it takes to do this in a slow responding,

power-limited, large aircraft with a control yoke.

John

Did I see that right, or was it the camera angle.....did he loop a C-130?? I would not have believed that was possible.

Also, does the co-pilot look a little nervous during some of the maneuvers (bracing himself againg the framing of the cockpit windows).....of course I would have gotten airsick about 30 seconds after takeoff :barf:

As a C-130 Pilot myself, with about 4,000 hours flying the "Four Fans of Freedom", I can certainly appreciate the video.

The video demonstrates the awesome capability of the C-130! And it's amazingly versatile with probably 70 variants over the years from 1953 to present. Most of my hours were spent in the MC-130P Combat Shadow special operations variant for air refueling helicopters.

The aircraft in the video is a C-130J, the newest and most modern of the C-130 models. It has fully digital glass cockpit, extremely powerful/efficient engines with 6 bladed props, fly-by-wire throttle controls. The pilot, along with his well coordinated crew, does fly on the edge of the aircraft performance limits. The bird can handle it for sure, IF handled properly!

For the airshow, I would suspect they were probably at a less than normal fuel load to help with overall performance. As far as the video showing a loop, well that's not very likely... certainly a prohibited manuever in a C-130. It was more likely a nose-high climbing Wing-Over. Should have been limited to 60 degrees of bank, but I suppose momentarily exceeding a limit might have occured.

Notice on the landing, he touches down at the displaced threshold marked by the "V" arrows at the yellow line and stops in less than 1000'...

Brings back some memories for sure;o)

Keith

Those of you that enjoyed the C-130 flight demonstration might like to see the extraordinary flying skills of an old master, Bob Hoover. There are many videos demonstrating Hoover’s skills, but Google “Bob Hoover – Engine-Out Aerobatics” to see one of my favorites.

Rossa

A while back I flew a C-130 simulator at McChord AFB. My dad ( retired 141 pilot ) was Co-pilot and I was the pilot. He controlled the props and gear and all I did was hold on for dear life as we landed the plane from the start point at about 3,000 feet.

It's some thing I'll never forget. :dance:

As a C-130 Pilot myself, with about 4,000 hours flying the "Four Fans of Freedom", I can certainly appreciate the video.

The video demonstrates the awesome capability of the C-130! And it's amazingly versatile with probably 70 variants over the years from 1953 to present. Most of my hours were spent in the MC-130P Combat Shadow special operations variant for air refueling helicopters.

The aircraft in the video is a C-130J, the newest and most modern of the C-130 models. It has fully digital glass cockpit, extremely powerful/efficient engines with 6 bladed props, fly-by-wire throttle controls. The pilot, along with his well coordinated crew, does fly on the edge of the aircraft performance limits. The bird can handle it for sure, IF handled properly!

For the airshow, I would suspect they were probably at a less than normal fuel load to help with overall performance. As far as the video showing a loop, well that's not very likely... certainly a prohibited manuever in a C-130. It was more likely a nose-high climbing Wing-Over. Should have been limited to 60 degrees of bank, but I suppose momentarily exceeding a limit might have occured.

Notice on the landing, he touches down at the displaced threshold marked by the "V" arrows at the yellow line and stops in less than 1000'...

Brings back some memories for sure;o)

Keith

Were you @ Rhein Main 7 SOS if not I had many ride aboard the MC 130 all of them "bumpy" lol

Were you @ Rhein Main 7 SOS if not I had many ride aboard the MC 130 all of them "bumpy" lol

Wasn't in the 7th SOS... I was in the 67th SOS, sister squadron to 7th in the 352 SOG. And yes, low-level in the Herk can certainly be bumpy.

Archived