TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I may be snakebitten....

pfrench0808

Let me introduce myself.. I am Patrick, from Covington, Georgia, and I may be joining you all here very soon...

I am a long time german engineering fan and have owned all of the modern Audis (except for the important one...R8), and I am now thinking of trading in my Lotus Exige S240 on a GT500. I drove several cars recently, and tonight, I was able to talk the dealer into driving the KR on their lot. It is the GT500 KR in question in one of the other topics here ("17K miles for $40K").

I have recently driven a"standard" '08 GT500, a new GT mustang, a new Boss 302, and a few other makes of american muscle cars. After driving the Boss this morning, I started thinking that I should just stay with my car or go looking for something different (Porsche, Evora, etc...), but I really want a "cheaper" toy. (I realize that this exact car may be the only "cheap" KR out there.)

Luckily, I stopped by the dealership here in Covington on the way to get some dinner, and I drove the KR for a brief stint. As I pulled out of the dealership and made it down the hill, I heard the brrrrapppp as I came off the throttle, and I fell in love. The exhaust note has to be one of the most intoxicating sounds I have ever heard in a "street" car. I looked over at the salesman with me, and I told him, "This is the first car in a few years that has made me smile... er, have a stupid grin, er, giggle...."

I hope this is all stock, and it is the way that the KR is supposed to sound, though I almost cannot believe it to be true that something that sounds the way I expect Hell to sound, rolled off the assembly line at Ford.

This gets to my point after a long intro made longer by still being giddy. How can I be sure that all of the parts are genuine, and how can I be sure that the car has been truly fixed after being returned for the Lemon Law? What recommendations do you all have for someone who is new to american muscle and completely out of his element in this situation to make sure I don't make a very stupid mistake?

I appreciate any advice out there, and I realize that (assuming the car is "Fixed"), I have a very unique opportunity to join a very exclusive club without really having to pay my dues. Because the car already has 17K miles, I would also have a unique opportunity to be able to drive this beast without worry of the repercussions of putting miles on an exclusive collector's item.

Thank you all in advance, and please let me know what you think.

Patrick

Have a Ford Dealer run the VIN through the Oasis Service Computers. That may give you a heads up of some repairs. As for "Built this way" questions, the exhaust is unique and does sound great. You can always snap pictures and post them for us "experts" tell if "factory" or "aftermarket".

Good luck with the "new" ride, just watch the cold temperatures and Goodyear F-1 tires.

Hello Patrick,

Welcome to TS. You've certainly come to the right place for everything Shelby (new gen).

Yes, the KR exhaust is a tuned system and was developed specifically for it. It is a sound like no other. I have fun little clip on YouTube titled GT500KR sound clip (Sorry I can't figure out how to copy and paste on my iPad) while I was driving at Infineon Raceway.

Regarding the car in Convington, it had 13 records on carfax. Have the dealer give you the detailed report, and take it from there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

Hi Patrick,

Welcome! You've come the right place!

If you have the gut uggggh feeling about the sincerity of the car, for 10k more, you can a kr that doesn't give you that uggggh. They all stock sound the same!

I don't know if 50k still leaves it in the lower price category from what you are used to, but something to consider?

There are a LOT of people here that know a ton about these cars. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you want and welcome again!

Steve

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to Team Shelby. As others have already mentioned, the KR came standard with specific exhaust, which just sounds great. If you are not sure about this specific car, I would invite you to be patient and check frequently on Ebay, Autotrader.com and Cars.com, which is what I did. I checked for about 4-5 months before I found a car that was right for me and pulled the trigger. Prices have come down some and cars priced below $50K are not that rare anymore. Here is an exemple of one that recently sold on Ebay for $40K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500KR-/250968395640?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a6ee1cf78

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yep, that's the sound :) !!! And, the dealer is upfront about the OASIS report. (I haven't seen it, but he offered.)

And, here's the link to the car.

http://www.cars.com/...onal&listType=1

I also have friends who know that dealership well, so I have them checking on it for me.

The car has a 12 mo, 12000 bumper to bumper warranty tied to it since the buyback, so that also gives me a little snuggly feeling.

If it works out, I can't wait to join you all. Thanks for helping.

Yep, that's the sound :) !!! And, the dealer is upfront about the OASIS report. (I haven't seen it, but he offered.)

And, here's the link to the car.

http://www.cars.com/...onal&listType=1

I also have friends who know that dealership well, so I have them checking on it for me.

The car has a 12 mo, 12000 bumper to bumper warranty tied to it since the buyback, so that also gives me a little snuggly feeling.

If it works out, I can't wait to join you all. Thanks for helping.

Back in 1991 I purchased a Ford buyback car on a 1989 SHO with 12k on the odo. Their internal docs reported that the previous customer had numerous complaints about the transmission. They swapped it, customer still didn't like. So they do a buyback (maybe just to get rid of a customer that couldn't be satisifed), they added a 12m 12k bumper to bumper, I drove that car as a daily for almost 4 years, ZERO issues...only reason why we traded it was our family grew, so we jumped into an SUV.

Good luck, and keep us posted, hope it works out for you,

Let me introduce myself.. I am Patrick, from Covington, Georgia, and I may be joining you all here very soon...

I am a long time german engineering fan and have owned all of the modern Audis (except for the important one...R8), and I am now thinking of trading in my Lotus Exige S240 on a GT500. I drove several cars recently, and tonight, I was able to talk the dealer into driving the KR on their lot. It is the GT500 KR in question in one of the other topics here ("17K miles for $40K").

I have recently driven a"standard" '08 GT500, a new GT mustang, a new Boss 302, and a few other makes of american muscle cars. After driving the Boss this morning, I started thinking that I should just stay with my car or go looking for something different (Porsche, Evora, etc...), but I really want a "cheaper" toy. (I realize that this exact car may be the only "cheap" KR out there.)

Luckily, I stopped by the dealership here in Covington on the way to get some dinner, and I drove the KR for a brief stint. As I pulled out of the dealership and made it down the hill, I heard the brrrrapppp as I came off the throttle, and I fell in love. The exhaust note has to be one of the most intoxicating sounds I have ever heard in a "street" car. I looked over at the salesman with me, and I told him, "This is the first car in a few years that has made me smile... er, have a stupid grin, er, giggle...."

I hope this is all stock, and it is the way that the KR is supposed to sound, though I almost cannot believe it to be true that something that sounds the way I expect Hell to sound, rolled off the assembly line at Ford.

This gets to my point after a long intro made longer by still being giddy. How can I be sure that all of the parts are genuine, and how can I be sure that the car has been truly fixed after being returned for the Lemon Law? What recommendations do you all have for someone who is new to american muscle and completely out of his element in this situation to make sure I don't make a very stupid mistake?

I appreciate any advice out there, and I realize that (assuming the car is "Fixed"), I have a very unique opportunity to join a very exclusive club without really having to pay my dues. Because the car already has 17K miles, I would also have a unique opportunity to be able to drive this beast without worry of the repercussions of putting miles on an exclusive collector's item.

Thank you all in advance, and please let me know what you think.

Patrick

Did you get it? You better hurry... I may put in a bid for it! :hysterical2:

I haven't bought it, yet. I am talking with a few people about selling the Exige. Seems not too many country people have ever seen a British car...

I have done a few more drive-by's (I have to keep changing cars, so they don't know it's me), and I am trying to see if it has the screen in the hood scoop. That may be another one of those "hmmm" moments if it's not there. Luckily, they're closed on Sunday, so I can go and stalk the car all I want, tomorrow.

I will report back to what I find. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement!

Here is Tom's GT500KR video taken at Infineon last summer for the SAAC Mini-Nats. Good stuff...

That video is awesome. I only wish it had telemetry. Can't believe it was shot with an iPhone.

Imagine what HD with a GoPro would look like. Maybe it's time for a 40th anniversary remake of C'était un rendez-vous :spiteful:

That video is awesome. I only wish it had telemetry. Can't believe it was shot with an iPhone.

Imagine what HD with a GoPro would look like. Maybe it's time for a 40th anniversary remake of C'était un rendez-vous :spiteful:

Need pics of car. We can then comment on whether its stock ... at least from what can be seen.

That video is neat. Was that a KR passing a new GT350? Whoa!.

Impressive.

The link below is from the same session with a GoPro mounted in the rear window...I don't think they're all that. Not intuitive to operate, no playback ability (unless you want to haul a laptop to the track, anope). The Track Pro App starts on its own as soon as you go over 20mph, and then shuts itslef down 2 minutes after you stop, better sound, and immediate ability to show off to your friends, while timing every lap, and marking your line! All that for $29.95.....GoPro = overrated...

yes I did pass the GT350, but in fairness to John (driver of the 350), he was new to the track whereas I've driven it over 2 dozen times...These KR's though, get the rubber heated, and hang on, cuz they haul the mail :superhero:

OK, :backtotopic: now, thank you for this short intermission

• 2 weeks later...

Cali_KR, please, give me a link where I can buy the video camera which is rotated to a video of the car?

Welcome to Team Shelby Rodrigez. Where in Europe are you? Post up some pix of your car in the GT500KR photo thread, speaking for all here, we'd love to see them.

The camera mounted in the rear window is a GoPro, just go to www.gopro.com

The other videos I have are shot with my iPhone4 mounted inside the windshield

Tom

Thank you for the welcome.

Sorry my English. Sentences I write through Google Translate :-)

Thank GoPro know.

I'm from Slovakia. Even today, I will picture the "2008 GT500KR Owners".

My car is 08KR0745. Probably the car previously belonged to members of the "Livestrong" according to what I read here.

Archived