TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recaro Seats Now Standard?

Rachane

When the Recaro seats were offered as a 2012 option, I saw most dealership cars ordered with them. I then saw those cars sit around on the dealers' lots longer than usual, I suspect because of those seats - which look snazzy and are doubtless fine for high-performance driving, but are cramped and nearly non-adjustable for comfortable daily driving, especially for women, since the seats are low and pelvis-tight.

By contrast the regular Mustang seats are completely adjustable and comfortable. [i added the Ford electric seat adjustment machinery to the passenger seat too, which my wife appreciates.] You can also make the regular seats downright luxurious if desired.

Anyway I hope that Ford/Shelby doesn't make the Recaros standard, as I think it would detract from the car overall. [i also think that Ford should make the Mustang Comfort Package (the electric passenger seat) at least a factory option for the GT500. Through 2012 passengers in this top-end Mustang have been stuck sitting low on the floor in manual seats unless they are owner-updated.]

Any way to add the power adjust system to the passengers seat on a 2008 SGT?

I would really like to convert that seat in my SGT...I could not believe it was a manual adjust.

How did you get your set up done?

Thanks,

Andy.

When the Recaro seats were offered as a 2012 option, I saw most dealership cars ordered with them. I then saw those cars sit around on the dealers' lots longer than usual, I suspect because of those seats - which look snazzy and are doubtless fine for high-performance driving, but are cramped and nearly non-adjustable for comfortable daily driving, especially for women, since the seats are low and pelvis-tight.

By contrast the regular Mustang seats are completely adjustable and comfortable. [i added the Ford electric seat adjustment machinery to the passenger seat too, which my wife appreciates.] You can also make the regular seats downright luxurious if desired.

Anyway I hope that Ford/Shelby doesn't make the Recaros standard, as I think it would detract from the car overall. [i also think that Ford should make the Mustang Comfort Package (the electric passenger seat) at least a factory option for the GT500. Through 2012 passengers in this top-end Mustang have been stuck sitting low on the floor in manual seats unless they are owner-updated.]

Agreed don't like the Recaros at all...Can't see Ford making them standard on the GT500 though.

Any way to add the power adjust system to the passengers seat on a 2008 SGT?

I would really like to convert that seat in my SGT...I could not believe it was a manual adjust.

How did you get your set up done?

Here is the thread where I discussed my 2011 conversion. Previously I had a 2007 GT500 and converted that passenger seat similarly here. Read this thread, which has links back to the original procedure & parts list. It is not a complicated process, but as noted in this thread, you do have to run a power wire to it.

I would love to have them as standard. I have had both the base and the Recaro's. The Recaro's are hands down the better seat. I was total surprised by how comfortable they were on the last trip I took. The Recaro's are the best seats I have ever had in a Mustang or any car for that matter. First time sitting in the Recaro's I did not think they were as comfortable as the base, until I took a drive and I was sold on the Recaro's from then on. Would not have a Mustang without them!

I would love to have them as standard. I have had both the base and the Recaro's. The Recaro's are hands down the better seat. I was total surprised by how comfortable they were on the last trip I took. The Recaro's are the best seats I have ever had in a Mustang or any car for that matter. First time sitting in the Recaro's I did not think they were as comfortable as the base, until I took a drive and I was sold on the Recaro's from then on. Would not have a Mustang without them!

I sat in a 2012 w/Recaro's on the dealer floor. They were at LEAST equal to my 2010 "base" seats.

I saw one TS member report that they didn't recline. Uhhhh, oh yes they do. They also have a lever that you pump to raise or lower the seat height. And the standard "adjuster bar" across the front for front/rear movement.

If people weren't asking such ridiculous prices for a pair, I'd probably have them in my car. Since they're starting to be a option in Mustangs, I'll wait until the price comes back down to Earth and then buy a set.

And basically, just for the looks since they feel the same as my 2010 seats. I have heard that they feel MUCH better than a '07-'09 set so I'm ASSUMING that the '10+later seats are a improvement over the early models?

Nice looking but feel the same. And I'd transfer my power rack over from my OEM seat to the Recaro just for the 'creature feature' aspect.

Phill

Phill,

Recaro's for the Mustang are now available from Ford Racing Performance Parts...

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=13483

Wow, I actually like those more than the GT500 seats with the Snake in them.

I wonder if they have the side airbag incorporated in them? (it does not say).

Thanks for the link,

Phill

From my experience the Recaro's on a long drive are more comfortable than the base seats. I had a 2011 with the base seats which are comfortable seats it just the 2012 Recaro's are more so. Just sitting in them does no justice for the Recaro's you need to take a long drive in them. I use my Gt500 as a daily driver and I can tell you the Recaro's to me are worth the extra money. If it’s in the budget get them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought my car two weeks ago and sat in both before making a final decision. The Recaros fit me like a glove and the only way to go in my opinion. The seat bottom seems longer to me and offers more support whereas the standard seats seemed to stop 5-6" short of my knees. I would have to agree that they should be an option and not standard as not everyone is built the same.

shelby004.jpg

The seats are one reason I bought the car! They are very comfortable for long trips (1K a day). Can imagine that old fat people will have an issue because they are harder to get out of. The only issue I have is they are not heated lol...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived