TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DO GT500-KR tires have better grip in the cold?

skiph

Even though I know it's gonna happen, it's a bit shocking every winter when the temp drops down by the lack of traction the stock 18" GT500 tires have when it's cold.

I took advantage of the liquidation sale of the stock "KR" tires a while ago, so they are sitting there waiting...but it will be forever before I really need new tires due to ware.

The KR tires are rated to be a lot more "sticky" and of course, will not last as long. But wondering if anybody has experience with if they have any more grip that the stock GT500 tires.

Not when the gas pedal is all the way on the floor! lol

All kidding aside I've had a regular GT 500 and a KR and I think the KR tires are a little stickier. They also seem to pick every pebble up in the road and flip it up into the fender well because the tires are a little softer.

SVT

Fantastic when heated up on the track (just check my in car vids)...but slip, slidin' away..during the cold...if you want to spin your rears all day, you'll have a blast..

I dropped mine down to 20 psi (from 32) and it made a HUGE difference.

In ride quality and in grip. Normally I will blow the tires off in 2nd gear, just from the throttle. Not at 20 psi though. 1st is still a 'peddle fest' but 2nd plants me back in the seat and makes my head spin (literally, from the G-force).

But I'm also up here in the clouds at 6,100' ASL so I'm down by 20% from you guys down there at Sea Level. I can't wait to get my car down there in good air.

Some day,

Phill

I have 20" Alcolas w Toyo Proxies 4 tires. I also have the original KR wheels and tires in the garage. The former owner said the KR tires were really slippery and he spun out w/ slightest acceleration. My question perhaps best for Cali_KR is what would you use at the Shelby Bash in March? My KR rear tires look like the tread is about half way down. Probably the first owner did a lot of burning out? My proxies have about 3000 miles on them and still have a lot of tread and are quite sticky on the road. I did take them to the drag strip and spun like crazy trying to get out of the hole. At Miller Motor Sportspark, the road course on the Proxies was quite stable. I worry a little about the low profile and all the cornering, is that a problem?

I also have the original KR wheels and tires in the garage. The former owner said the KR tires were really slippery and he spun out w/ slightest acceleration.

I wonder if he replaced the KR tires with GT500 tires???

Look at the sidewall of the tires. You should find a "nickle sized Winged Boot" on the sidewall. If you do, they're KR tires. If you don't, they're GT500 tires which ARE NOT THE SAME compound as the KR's.

FWIW, my KR tires LIKE HEAT.

Phill

I dropped mine down to 20 psi (from 32) and it made a HUGE difference.

In ride quality and in grip. Normally I will blow the tires off in 2nd gear, just from the throttle. Not at 20 psi though. 1st is still a 'peddle fest' but 2nd plants me back in the seat and makes my head spin (literally, from the G-force).

But I'm also up here in the clouds at 6,100' ASL so I'm down by 20% from you guys down there at Sea Level. I can't wait to get my car down there in good air.

Some day,

Phill

Does decreasing tire pressure like this increase risk of a blow out?

Does decreasing tire pressure like this increase risk of a blow out?

Ehhhh, it *might* increase the risk of blow-out SLIGHTLY. It definately increases the 'risk' of wearing out the outer edges of the tread faster.

I say it might increase the chance of a blow-out only because it will increase the heat generated (from more rolling resistence) by the tires and allows the inner belts to flex more so it'd kind of like bending a coathanger back and forth more than just a little...eventually it builds up heat then eventually breaks.

I don't run mine all the time at 20. Mainly just around town and mainly when I'm gonna "go out and play".

I wouldn't take the car on a trip at 20psi, that's for sure. Maybe down to Pueblo (about 38 miles) and back but probably not a lot farther than that....MAYBE Denver (about 80 miles ea. way). I would NOT think about taking a trip out to LV or CA with only 20psi in the tires. It'd probably kill what little gas mileage I have now and wear the tires out in the process.

A blow-out is the least of my worries regarding running the tires @20psi. Tire wear is my primary concern.

Phill

• 1 month later...

Agree with previous statement about cold weather and lack of grip. If it is below 60, keep it below 60 in the corners and forget about hooking up off the line, downshifting and romping on the power and be careful when the boost kicks in. Here is my story about cold tires:

I must admit to an embarrasing spinning of my car 180 degrees at about 45 - 50 mph in January 2011. It was 17 degrees that evening and my wife and I had just finished a nice dinner with friends and a few cocktails. :tequila: Needless to say my reaction time was a little slower than normal. We left the restaraunt about 11:30 PM and I accelerated to get onto the freeway when the boost kicked in and the back end kicked out. :peelout:

Normally I would have kept my foot in the pedal and turned into the skid to straighten up, but the Makers Mark in my system took over and I took my foot off the gas when the back end broke loose. Of course then the suspension unloaded and the car kicked the other direction. We were both passengers at that point. It was one of those moments where time slows down and you know something bad is about to happen. As we were spinning and I was working feverishly to regain control I recall having the time to reflect and kept thinking to myself, "you dumb ass... you know better." I had not spun a car in years on the street or track for that matter. Fortunately I caught the car before we hit anything and we ended up going backwards into the grass before coming to a controlled stop. Our friends who were behind us got a front row seat to witness my embarrasment. So much for all those performance driving schools. It was clear I didn't learn a damn thing.

My wife was PISSED. She still gets scared when I give the car the beans in warm weather. :club:

I don't think there is a tire on the market that can put down 500+ horsepower in cool to cold temps. Best advice is to stay out of the throttle until it is warm outside.

Archived