TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI Interior Upgrade Color Suggestions

terumi71

Hello All,

I have been considering for some time now to do the SAI interior upgrade. I have a black on black KR. I have always felt that the interior of the car was very drab. No pop.

I want to make the interior pop, but am concerned with too much pop.

I would also be doing the center console cover and the shift boot in matching.

Any input would be appreciated.

My car is all black on black. I haven't changed the brake covers to any colors. The fender hash marks I put on are black. No stock colors have been changed.

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

Copy of P1030381.JPG

Copy of P1030376.JPG

Copy of P1030381.JPG

Copy of P1030376.JPG

Steve,

On a black on black car, I think less is more...perhaps gray (leaning towards a darker shade, but enough to see the contrast) on either the seat inserts or strips in the inserts. If doing seats, leave center cover to provide separation, (you could have embossed, put I wouldn't change color to)

As a thought (i'm on the fence on this one, but with seat inserts, this could be a nice compliment), but as the steering wheel isn't unique to the KR (stock GT500), doesn't even have a unique KR center cap, replace with this wheel (see attachment to match gray insert. (your stock center cap would then be installed)...

Much to ponder though when doing a change like this. And you gotta get it right, as unlike a pair of pants, can't return it if it doesn't fit.

Good luck

Tom

Grant_wheel.jpg

Grant_wheel.jpg

Thanks Tom!

The steering wheel was something I considered. And might still consider. I like the idea of an embossed the center consol without changing the color for separation.

Keep the suggestions coming as they are much appreciated!

Steve

I have a black/black 08 and love the way the whole car is understated. It's not flashy like a normal gt500 or boss 302. It is because of this understatment, that it is sophisticated and magnificent. This is why it draws the looks. Most people think this is the most beautiful mustang ever built.The front end is pure sex, the lines flow and the interior matches the exterior's elegance. IMHO, trying to make the interior pop is to change the nature of the car. This car was not supposed to be flashy, just gorgeous. but, it's your car, so make it what YOU want.

I hear you Rick. Probably my white 07 SGT, which had a nice bright interior and in particular a nice bright dashboard to give the car some pop inside affects my desire to do this.

And like Tom posted, it's not like a pair of jeans that you can just return. It's a lot of money and it's gotta be right.

Your not the first person I've spoke with over these months of consideration that have said do nothing.

Keep the ideas coming and Thanks!

Steve

Steve, I'm another who thinks the interior doesn't need changing; at least not the seats. Change the shifter, add a gauge pod or cup holder bezel, different floor mats, get the ol' boy's sig. on your dash... I'd just do stuff that's easily reverted to stock.

I think the original seats are fine, except the height and angle of those damned ugly headrests... I wouldn't mind replacing them with some shorter, rounder ones. If you're road tracking or autocrossing, then just swap in some lightweight aftermarket seats for better support.

Being used to the red inserts in my '07, I agree that the interior looked quite dark when I first sat in the KR. However, I would still keep it stock, save maybe for a signed airbag cover. As oldlugs just mentioned, if I decided to add some brightwork, it would be something that I can easily remove and return to stock. Also, I believe that the car has a better chance of maintaining its resale value with the stock interior. Any interior upgrade will please some and not others, narrowing the pool of potential buyers.

Having said that, this is your car and if a certain interior upgrade looks good to you, that's what you should go for, regardless of resale value.

The signed airbag is something I keep coming back to.

How do you get that off? Buehler, Buehler....?

Thanks Very Much for all your inputs. It really is greatly appreciated.

You know the color I like?

Red.

Lol. Talk about narrowing the field on resale!!

I think a black sports car with a red interior is pretty classic, no? Too pimpish? I've bounced between red and dark silver. Dark silver is winning out though. A more moderate approach.

Less is more keeps ringing in my head too though. So maybe just a lot of embossed stuff, with silver or red accents. Not the full seat inserts. Redo them in black.

Does anyone feel thatthe stock seat leather is sort of cheap? I think the upgrade, and I do have to check on this, is a little more luxurious. And not the same quality of stock. But I have to check.

Flame away!!!

I don't have a problem with red seat inserts. In fact these look real nice; probably much better quality than stock. Red inserts were actually an option on black GT500s from 07-09, but not on the KR. My reference to the resale value had less to do with the actual color chosen for the upgrade than with the fact that on a car like the KR, many potential buyers may prefer an all original car versus one with upgrades, even if these upgrades are tastefull and of a high quality level. Personally, I would have hesitated before purchasing a KR that is not 100% stock but maybe its just me. However, the fact that the upgrades are performed or authorized by SAI are a plus.

Steve,

We added Gary's interior to #535 when it was at SAI for it's mods. It's a really nice upgrade and the materials he uses are excellent; better than stock IMHO.

My wife Gail was as persistant/insistant about the interior color combo as I was about the TVS and Fays2 Watts link. We went with blue perforated Alcantara and blue contrast stitching. The front seats have deeper foam bolsters and lateral support and feel great sitting in them. The Alcantara is very nice if you choose it.

We've never regretted getting the interior done. It get's tons of compliments as well. One warning: the installers will cut the stock KR headrest covers off to put the new ones on. I just about died when I saw that originally. Not ruined, but not pretty. I have the entire standard interior now in storage to go with the car someday.

Needless to say, when SAI offered original KR headrests for sale we snapped a set up (along with a replacement KR splitter and stripe kit). You may want to consider how you'll handle that, as the black leather in the new interior would not be a match to the original headrests.

But otherwise, great stuff and Gary Disney is a wonderful guy to do business with.

Included are a couple of shots of our interior.

I'd go with black leather with silver seat inserts and silver contrast stitching.

Cheers!

Mark

post-29099-0-47296700-1326157903_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-49506700-1326157925_thumb.jpg

Viking,

That was some great feedback. Everyone has had some great nuggets in this possible event.

Good warning about the headrest, and the futility of it in the end as it's not going to match the new interior anyway.

I'm pretty much on the page of silver with silver stitching. I'd like to have the sac to do red. And I think red would have a pop. I'm just worried about too much pop. And once it's done, it's done. No returns. I think the red would look really cool. But I'm afraid. I want the car to have a balance overall, not just be riveted to the red and the rest of the car fades.

The thing that is pushing me to do it as this goes along, is the quality of the leather itself. I've always felt that the stock interior felt somewhat cheap. Not critically so. But it's there, none-the-less.

My thoughts, as a compilation of inputs here, and getting my head around what I had in mind to begin with (pop without too much pop), is boiling down to redo the leather in black. Emboss any badging in silver. Silver stitching.

Now deciding on how much is too much badging. Having the Shelby badging on the seatback, on the headrest, on the backseats, and on the center console leaves....let me think....7 Shelby logos of some sort. That might pop out a little much.

Also thinking of the horizontal silver line at shoulder height on the seat back.

And would like to do the air bag cover. That would make 8 badgings if I did all of them. Found the link on how to remove it.

Still some details to work out. But the increase in the quality of leather is attractive. And It's a lot of money. And as always, the wife is full body blocking most all of it. I have to check my path at neck height constantly, looking for a clothesline supsiciously strung! She questions doing this stuff with a car I barely drive.

It's going to cost me the triple, I'm sure. She has her way of passively and aggressively standing her ground. I get the interior, but she gets x3!

Now deciding on how much is too much badging. Having the Shelby badging on the seatback, on the headrest, on the backseats, and on the center console leaves....let me think....7 Shelby logos of some sort. That might pop out a little much.

And would like to do the air bag cover. That would make 8 badgings if I did all of them.

Going back to what I said before....less is more...how many times does it need to say Shelby, or GT500KR. Trust me when I say I'm a HUGE, HUGE fan, been my whole life, got pics from 1970 to prove...but too many Shelbys (unless they are actual cars) isn't necessarily a good thing...jmo

That being said, its your money and your car, so let your freak flag fly...lol

All,

These responses I am really grateful for. They resonate with truth and experience. I'm still new to this whole car thing and learn so much here and from people off line involved with these cars, all having much more experience than I do.

I think in summation, what everyone is saying, is that if you want pop, you don't buy a black car. You buy a red one, or a blue one, or a silver one with blue stripes. And pop away.

A black car is a different concept. Stealth. Understated power. Let the stealth speak. Not the pop. If you have a black couch, you can have a red throw pillow on it for contrast. But, when you get tired of the pillow, you chunk it. Give it away. Sell it.

So I'm getting it. And I needed ya'lls experience. As much as i like the red, and knowing I'm free to do it, I don't know what I'd do on receiving the car if I didn't like it. So I'm trying to avoid that. I want to open the door and say YEAH! PERFECT! SPOT ON! Not oh....I'll get used to it.

Thanks again!

Steve

Steve,

I had a black on black truck in the late 80's and wanted some POP so I removed the black interior and added red seats and red carpet it looked outstanding I was so happy I did that. I had allot of people telling me not to do it but in the end I was glad I did it and once they laid eyes on it changed their mind.

I have a red KR and keep thinking about upgrading the interior. To me it just does not feel like I think the KR interior should I would like something more comfortable.

I would also recommend the signed air bag cover I installed mine last winter and it was allot easier than I thought it would be, very simple to do.

Tim

The signed airbag is something I keep coming back to.

How do you get that off? Buehler, Buehler....?

Thanks Very Much for all your inputs. It really is greatly appreciated.

You know the color I like?

Red.

Lol. Talk about narrowing the field on resale!!

I think a black sports car with a red interior is pretty classic, no? Too pimpish? I've bounced between red and dark silver. Dark silver is winning out though. A more moderate approach.

Less is more keeps ringing in my head too though. So maybe just a lot of embossed stuff, with silver or red accents. Not the full seat inserts. Redo them in black.

Does anyone feel thatthe stock seat leather is sort of cheap? I think the upgrade, and I do have to check on this, is a little more luxurious. And not the same quality of stock. But I have to check.

Flame away!!!

I would absolutely go Red over dark gray, you only live once, going dark gray to me you should just leave it stock. I agree Red has a classy look when done right.

Archived