TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT FR500S(Ford Racing M-5230-S) Exhaust

stewarbc

Thanks to hours of listening to exhausts and MANY THANKS TO Grabber, I am now enjoying GT500KR axlebacks on my 2007 Shelby GT. I had the Shelby out all day today revving all around. These are simply awesome. They sound great at all levels. No drone.

Pict and amateur video below. Stock Shelby GT, stock manifolds, pipe. Just axlebacks. First video, cold start. Second video, revving after 5 minute warmup.

ShelbyGTKRFR500S-Copy.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am a new member as of yesterday. I have a 2008 Shelby GT 500/500hp convertible. Found it in Jun with 900 miles on it. I installed the Borla Axle Back Model 11750. I have terrible drone at 1600-2000 in 5 and 6. I was told that the 11750 was not for the GT 500. They recommended the 140210 cat back with x pipe. I was told by another member that it has drone. I saw your article about putting ghe 5230S on yours and is completely satisfied. I would like to know if u still like it and would recommend it for my car.

I am still COMPLETELY satisfied with the FR500S exhaust. I never had any drone. With the windows up, it's a little louder but not by much. Just right actually.

With that said, I have since installed ARH LT's, X-Pipe, FRPP Hot Rod Cams ----- and let me tell you, it woke up. Still zero drone.I love this exhaust....

I really don't see much of a difference. Friend of mine suggested lining my trunk with Dynamatt, a sound deadening material. I don't think think that is going to make a difference. Anyway that stuff is really expensive just to find out it won't help. I was wondering if the ratio of the KR of 3:73 would make a difference since mine is 3:31 and the RPM at 60-70 mph. Right now I am leaning toward the 5230-S and willing to take take the gamble. Got to get these 11750's off, the drone is painful.

I have an '08 with the 3.31 gears and there is no drone with the 5230-S mufflers. I installed them this spring and have enjoyed driving the car a LOT more. I also don't care for drone and the previous owner had aftermarket mufflers on that droned going down the highway.

I have an '08 with 2700 miles on it now, and just last week installed a set of #M-5230-S (KR's) and have had a devil of a time trying to find a rattle ONLY when the car is warm.

I have had the damn things on and off...the mid pipe bolts loose (to wiggle the pipes) and then tight again, several times... ALL to no avail!!!

I purchased them from AM Muscle and they have a feature on their site where you can give feedback. I read through the responses and there seemed to be a resounding complaint that often times the drivers side muffler rearest hangar welded near the tip is too long, and actually can 'poke' the underbody. Low and behold, that was definitely doing that on my car. Soooo, I removed the damn thing one more time today and cut about an inch off the tip of that last 'L' hangar brkt. Snugged it all up and went for a test drive to get it hot again.

Son of a $%#@ if it STILL rattles back there on decel and when I get out of the car and actually kick the tips (either side), you can still hear a metal on metal rattle somewhere underneath the car.

Then, when the car cools...kick the tips...NO rattle!!!

Anyone else experiencing this with these KR mufflers? I don't have much hair left to pull out!!

Thx,

BB

• 2 weeks later...

I had a rattle in my 2007 SGT from a hanger. When hot it would expand and rattle on something. When cool nothing, because the hanger would retract. Check hangers where the might hit something and look for a rub or wear spot.

• 5 weeks later...

Richard: I went with a couple different axle backs until I settled with the KR's, which are perfect. Great sound and zero drone, once had to drive on the freeway all day and zero issue. You can talk in the car without problems until you put your foot into it. Only qualifier is I have stock exhaust except for the mufflers. I finally went to these as so many guys were happy with them and I think they're perfect. Hope that helps.

I have an '08 with 2700 miles on it now, and just last week installed a set of #M-5230-S (KR's) and have had a devil of a time trying to find a rattle ONLY when the car is warm.

I have had the damn things on and off...the mid pipe bolts loose (to wiggle the pipes) and then tight again, several times... ALL to no avail!!!

I purchased them from AM Muscle and they have a feature on their site where you can give feedback. I read through the responses and there seemed to be a resounding complaint that often times the drivers side muffler rearest hangar welded near the tip is too long, and actually can 'poke' the underbody. Low and behold, that was definitely doing that on my car. Soooo, I removed the damn thing one more time today and cut about an inch off the tip of that last 'L' hangar brkt. Snugged it all up and went for a test drive to get it hot again.

Son of a $%#@ if it STILL rattles back there on decel and when I get out of the car and actually kick the tips (either side), you can still hear a metal on metal rattle somewhere underneath the car.

Then, when the car cools...kick the tips...NO rattle!!!

Anyone else experiencing this with these KR mufflers? I don't have much hair left to pull out!!

Thx,

BB

I have the KR's on my 09 Vert, no issues or rattles. Hope you can get it ironed out...

UPDATE:

OK, after lots of stress and stewing about this, I finally figured it out. With some help from other Mustang forums on the interweb actually.

Turns out the most rear (welded) hangar 'pin' on each KR muffler was too long for my car. That is a somewhat common occurance from reading on the web. The pin actually scrapes the backside of the rear bumper reinforcement, as the exhaust system heats up and expands. There is evidently enuf room for expansion of all the tubing that when cold, those pins were about an inch away from the reinf. After normal operating temp was achieved, they started "scratching" and therefore squeaking and rattling a bit back there! Very tough time finding it, but with the help of others' experiences on these sites......voila!

Back to topic here....... LOVE THEM!!!! :yahoo:

Archived