TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insurance rate increase

I just got my BJ/Chartis collector car insurance renewal today in the mail. WTF :shrug: My rates more than doubled. I also got an email from them telling me about the increase and not to worry because the collector car insurance business is very competitive. They said they represent other collector car insurance companies and their rates are cheaper. They gave me a couple of quotes from American Modern Ins. and from Hagerty Ins. which were substantially higher.

I'm gonna call Heacock Classic tomorrow because that's who I was using before Barrett Jackson. Who are you guys using?

I just got both my 08 & 68 KR's on with the "Chrome" package at American National.

Heacock won't write the new car, at least that's what they told me, and I've been with them for 20 years on my 68.

Agent Tony Gay covers a number of TS members and is on here too, his number is 650-224-4993 and his email is, tony.gay@american-national.com

Good luck,

Tom

i have my insurance through

I just got my BJ/Chartis collector car insurance renewal today in the mail. WTF :shrug: My rates more than doubled. I also got an email from them telling me about the increase and not to worry because the collector car insurance business is very competitive. They said they represent other collector car insurance companies and their rates are cheaper. They gave me a couple of quotes from American Modern Ins. and from Hagerty Ins. which were substantially higher. I'm gonna call Heacock Classic tomorrow because that's who I was using before Barrett Jackson. Who are you guys using?
i have the same as yours and mine did not increase at all . but i was told if you have more than 1 auto insured with them they rates would not increase.

i have my insurance through i have the same as yours and mine did not increase at all . but i was told if you have more than 1 auto insured with them they rates would not increase.

I was also told that if I had two or more cars you'd get the .40 or .60 rate. Most are going to the 1.00 rate. I got the invoice for the FGT today and it is at the 1.00 rate. It is still about 400-500 less than the others, including several mentioned on this forum. Let's face it, the Chartis rate was an initial "set the hook" rate that was probably 60-70% of everyone else and was going to be equalized at some point.

OK, I got a quote from Heacock and their rate is cheaper than Chartis. Tomorrow I'm meeting with a local agent from American National. The agent told me I need an appraisel for my car. :shrug: I never needed one for Chartis and Heacock. :headscratch: I'm not paying someone :spend: to tell me what my car is worth. :nonono: I already know it's value. It looks like I may be going back to Heacock.

I had heard some time ago that CHARTIS was increasing their rates but they never did mine and now I see that some are saying that if you have more than one vehicle insured with them they won't raise you premiums; since I have 2 cars insured with them this might be the case. They definitely had the best rates that I could find.

What other vehicles can you insure through Chartis? The KR is the only "elite" vehicle I own. My other cars are nothing special and are all paid for.

I believe they will accept all "normal vehicles" as well. Give them a call.

I believe they will accept all "normal vehicles" as well. Give them a call.

Chartis is an agreed value policy for loss with regular liability attached. It's like insuring a diamond ring with an engine.

That said, Chartis does not cover daily driver vehicles on agreed value. However, it is true that TDC Risk Management (the broker who is selling the Barrett Jackson branded insurance) will write you an entire package. I move all my insurance to them and they write normal vehicles, homeowners and blanket policy through Auto Owners. I save a boatload of money by having two cars, house and blanket with them. They also write auto policies on an annual rather than 6 month basis and offer a substantial discount for paying for the full year's coverage up front. I saved a boatload of money.

I had heard some time ago that CHARTIS was increasing their rates but they never did mine and now I see that some are saying that if you have more than one vehicle insured with them they won't raise you premiums; since I have 2 cars insured with them this might be the case. They definitely had the best rates that I could find.

Multiple cars helps and if both are truly older vehicles your rates were probably not affected. My Cobra would still have been at the $0.40/100 rate. If you have a single newer vehicle your rate dd go up probably to $1.00/100. If you have a newer vehicle and an older vehicle (or similar mix) you probably saw the rate one one or more at $0.60 or $0.80.

Even at $1.00, I'm paying less than anywhere else on the Ford GT.

Archived