TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Price comparisons from Canada to USA on GT500

SHELBYCS6

Wow..that's quite a savings...

will the dealers in the USA finance the vehicles through Ford etc. or do you have to bring your own for the purchase ?

BTW..where do you get the information on the paperwork required ?

Sorry for the delayed response. As already mentioned start with the source for importing info - RIV.ca. There is also lot of info on this topic avaialble through various online forums if you search. To import a vehcile there are 5 must haves:

1) Make sure the car is listed on the Transport Canada admissible link,

2) Copy of the invoice or Bill of sale,

3) The Title for the vehicle or, if its new, a certificate of onwership (I beleive it was called a CoA),

4) A Recall letter from the manfacturer stating taht all safety recalls have been performed on the vehicle (details on this are avail at RIV.ca), and

5) The US safetry compliance decal in the driver door jam (usually has the tire pressures on it as well).

I may not have all the terms correct, as its been a while, but all of the items above are key (unless they have changed). You will also need to get insurance (some insurance companies will cover you for the drive home from the US others dont), temp plates (most states will issue but some dont - just ask the dealer), and make sure the state you are going to buy in will not charge you tax if you are exporting [most states don't - again just ask the delaer) (dont worry though.. you will pay Cdn tax (Federal) when crossing the border and when you get your plates, if applicable (Prov)].

As for financing - no you are not eligeable for financing at a US dealership if you live in Canada. You can use a line of credit from home instead (if required).

I hope this helps.

Ford does and will warranty their product inside North America no matter where they are purchased from. The dealership gets paid by Ford to do warranty work. Once you own the car, a decent dealer will perform ALL warranty work on your because Ford pays them to. If a dealer told me this story, I would immediately find another dealer to buy my car from OR another dealer to perform warranty work on a car I already owned. There are plenty of excellent Ford dealers around.

Completely right. I made more than just a few phone calls on this one before pulling the trigger. The bottom line is that Ford treats the warranty as a North American warranty regardless of where in NA you bought it or need it repaired.

Archived