TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Well, I guess this answers the 2007-2009 functional hood question......................

Robert M

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah,where are you drilling the holes at?

The only option that I can think of (if the rear of the scoop in not also the inside/underside wall of the hood itself) would be to cut the hood open in the rear of the scoop area, again assuming there is a gap between the rear portion of the scoop area and the inner panel of the hood, use the void above the radiator area in the front portion of the hood for air flow, and cut holes over on the side ahead of the air filter. This would use the void in the hood above the radiator in the frontal area of the hood to get fresh air to the CAI? If the rear portion of the scoop area is against the inner panel of the hood, then the flow would be of no real benefit compared to a large open plenum, but you could say that the hood does function.

This is the method I mentioned to "possibly" make the 2010-up hood functional, but I have no hood here to closely examine.

This void in the hood, above the radiator would also include the hole where the hood latch fits, so that would be a place for ram air to escape, unless it was sealed.

R

Ok, so it is more of the function I outlined in post #5, fresh air inlets for heat extraction air flow more than directed/channeled air flow directly to the CAI as the ram air plenum previously provided.

R

Correct.

The pictures in post #1 is a raw SAI Super Snake 4th generation hood that is NOT finished.

I don't understand why the exterior ram air scoop "opening" is closed up.

I usually shy away from posting in here cause I'm not as familiar with the GT500 but I do remember stalling issues with the early SS hoods due to the flow of air into the CAI. I remember they added baffles but that there were still issues as, and this is getting over my skis, the car is tuned to the typical amount of air-flow and even with the baffles the large degree of change wasn't something a fixed tune could handle. I wonder then if SA just decided to forget the whole thing? CAI isn't a "ram air" system and forcing air into it just isn't a good idea.

This is all from memory and I could be totally FOS!

I usually shy away from posting in here cause I'm not as familiar with the GT500 but I do remember stalling issues with the early SS hoods due to the flow of air into the CAI. I remember they added baffles but that there were still issues as, and this is getting over my skis, the car is tuned to the typical amount of air-flow and even with the baffles the large degree of change wasn't something a fixed tune could handle. I wonder then if SA just decided to forget the whole thing? CAI isn't a "ram air" system and forcing air into it just isn't a good idea.

This is all from memory and I could be totally FOS!

+1

Good memory.

Correct.

The pictures in post #1 is a raw SAI Super Snake 4th generation hood that is NOT finished.

I don't understand why the exterior ram air scoop "opening" is closed up.

My guess is that since the hood opening no longer has the plenum for fresh air, and there is no option of opening it to make a fresh air function, they keep it closed because most owners would not want rain water entering through the scoops? <<This being an issue that has to be considered on any of these hoods that are open.

Notice I changed it from ram air, to fresh air. The outside air being fresh/cooler than the underhood heated air.

I still have had no issues with drivablity on my 2008 Super Snake, built early (Jan./Feb.) 2009.

R

I still have had no issues with drivablity on my 2008 Super Snake, built early (Jan./Feb.) 2009.

I saw a video on You-tube of a guy with a Super Snake showing how fast it would go. He had a Garmin GPS on the WS and a camera mounted so you could see it and past it trough the windshield.

Every time he got it up to top speed and put the clutch in to coast down, the engine would stall/die.

He wasn't complaining about the stall but did note it in his commentary...."huh, the engine stalled" (repeat when the 2nd stall occured).

My guess is, you have to get the car up in speed to get the "ram air" effect, which is what supposedly "blows out the candle" (the term I read in a post on TS).

Try that Robert. Take it way up in speed and push the clutch in to coast down to where the engine isn't being driven by the wheels. I don't know if that's the *only* condition where the SS hood causes problems but I know it's ONE of the conditions.

Phill

That post was by Jasit390, he got to 163 or so then it stalled. I was under the impression that he hit the speed limiter that comes with the cars from Shelby. He later had it retuned and did another video of his Supersnake at the Texas Mile where he did 186 there. Of course I've been wrong before.

I saw a video on You-tube of a guy with a Super Snake showing how fast it would go. He had a Garmin GPS on the WS and a camera mounted so you could see it and past it trough the windshield.

Every time he got it up to top speed and put the clutch in to coast down, the engine would stall/die.

He wasn't complaining about the stall but did note it in his commentary...."huh, the engine stalled" (repeat when the 2nd stall occured).

My guess is, you have to get the car up in speed to get the "ram air" effect, which is what supposedly "blows out the candle" (the term I read in a post on TS).

Try that Robert. Take it way up in speed and push the clutch in to coast down to where the engine isn't being driven by the wheels. I don't know if that's the *only* condition where the SS hood causes problems but I know it's ONE of the conditions.

Phill

Wasn't that the White Super Snake, run on a back road down here is Florida? I believe is was an early morning run if I remember correctly? maybe 2-3 runs made in the video? If so, his was the earliest design hood, and I believe that he added the Shelby provided baffle to the opening above the SAI. I believe I have pictures of his hood, and that baffle added, after the "blow out the candle" runs.

R

Wasn't that the White Super Snake, run on a back road down here is Florida? I believe is was an early morning run if I remember correctly? maybe 2-3 runs made in the video? If so, his was the earliest design hood, and I believe that he added the Shelby provided baffle to the opening above the SAI. I believe I have pictures of his hood, and that baffle added, after the "blow out the candle" runs.

I don't remember the color of the car but everything else you say is familiar.

Very likely the same vid/car.

I found it when I first bought my car, or started looking for a GT500 and really didn't know much about the cars. Even the difference between a Super Snake and a GT500..or that there was even such a thing as a Shelby GT, or any other Shelby model (KR, 40th, SS, etc.).

I know the vid I speak of was a Super Snake though because that was about the earliest I'd heard of a SS.

Phill

I don't remember the color of the car but everything else you say is familiar.

Very likely the same vid/car.

I found it when I first bought my car, or started looking for a GT500 and really didn't know much about the cars. Even the difference between a Super Snake and a GT500..or that there was even such a thing as a Shelby GT, or any other Shelby model (KR, 40th, SS, etc.).

I know the vid I speak of was a Super Snake though because that was about the earliest I'd heard of a SS.

Phill

This is the video I was thinking of..................

http://www.teamshelb...__1#entry421613

I just realized Jeff had linked the same video in his post above...........

R

Here is that same car shown at the drag strip in a video. Go to page 2 post #31, go to the 2:15 or so point in the video, the hood is open. Notice the "fix" attached to the bottom of the hood over the CAI. This leads me to believe that the original top speed runs were with a "first design hood", and the drag race video shows the "fix" installed for that first design problem.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68191-2011-functional-super-snake-hood/page__hl__ ram air plenum__st__20

R

This is the video I was thinking of..................

http://www.teamshelb...__1#entry421613

Yep, that's the one.

Phill

• 9 months later...

Hi guys. I'm confused on this....is the hood in post #1 different than the hood in dbackg's video? Are they both Gen4 hoods? Can the 4 holes be drilled in the hood in post #1 to allow air in like the hood on the video? I'm thinking of buying an SS hood but don't want a fake scoop :-( I had that on my previous Mustang GT.... Thanks.

Hi guys. I'm confused on this....is the hood in post #1 different than the hood in dbackg's video? Are they both Gen4 hoods? Can the 4 holes be drilled in the hood in post #1 to allow air in like the hood on the video? I'm thinking of buying an SS hood but don't want a fake scoop :-( I had that on my previous Mustang GT.... Thanks.

I believe they are both Gen 4 non-functional hoods, but I will let dbackg verify......

R

Archived