TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gap In 2010 Hood?

roanry

OK I maybe a bit picky, but I love this car.

So I noticed the other day I have a noticeable gap in my hood on the passenger side.

I took it to the local Ford dealership here and the could explain it. I checked the inside the hood and nothing appears to be pushing the hood up, I think something is pushing or pulling the front bumper down. Thoughts? Ideas? Do any of you have this same gap?

Also I noticed the hood latch is some what flimsy. Do you think we should add the SuperSnake hood pins?

post-35165-0-54431400-1323497000_thumb.png

post-35165-0-54431400-1323497000_thumb.png

So I noticed the other day I have a noticeable gap in my hood on the passenger side.

I took it to the local Ford dealership here and the could explain it. I checked the inside the hood and nothing appears to be pushing the hood up, I think something is pushing or pulling the front bumper down. Thoughts? Ideas? Do any of you have this same gap?

Also I noticed the hood latch is some what flimsy. Do you think we should add the SuperSnake hood pins?

Not a great lover of the SS hood pins

On mine Chris I tuck them in the gap on the hood to stop the wire from flapping around

The KR ones look better no wires

mustanghome020.jpg

20090125_7.jpg

I'd never noticed before but mine is like that too......

OK I maybe a bit picky, but I love this car.So I noticed the other day I have a noticeable gap in my hood on the passenger side.

I personally wouldn't let that bother me. Much more important things to concern myself with. There's a bunch of uneven stuff on cars...maybe a scratch here...a bolt or screw missing here. Eh.

Maybe quit going 190 miles an hour and letting all the fast rushing air get in under the hood to distort your hinges :hysterical2:

I have a small gap about 1/16" in my rear quarter panel where the bumper cover connnects and it really bothered me at first. Now I'm almost over it and if someone was to ask I'd say it's from all the torque these cars have and lifting up the front tires on takeoff :rockon:

Since I already know you have one on your car, pull your Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) Strut Tower Brace (STB) off of the car and see if the hood closes all the way.

I had one on my 2010 GT500 and I had the same problem you have but on both sides. Ironically, *I* didn't notice it, a neighbor who is not even "a car guy" pointed it out to me. I was bull-headed and refused to belive the STB was the problem and in fact I looked with a flashlight with the hood closed as far as it would close and still allow me to see under it and it looked like the STB had room between it and the hood. It wasn't until after driving the car for awhile with the STB installed that I saw rub marks on the STB and the hood blanket and captulated that it was in fact, hitting the hood.

I pulled my hood blanket off and it went from being about 1/4" high to about 1/8" high.

I pulled the STB off and the hood now closes flush to the fenders, on both sides (ARGH!).

FRPP says they fit without interference. Some Team Shelby forum members have them on their cars without any problems. Some others (including me) found the same problem as I (and you) did and have pulled them off. I don't believe it's a tolerance issue with the CAR, I belive it's a production tolerance difference with the BRACE. Some are apparently high than others.

I suggest you try that *first*. It's real easy to do and only takes a few minutes. All it requires is the removal of 4 nuts and lift the STB out of the engine bay. If it doens't close all the way after removing the STB, put the STB back on with the 4 nuts.

Easy peasy.

Otherwise, it's a bent/warped hood. They are aluminum and seem to bend VERY easily. But thank goodness I didn't bend it enough to take a "set".

EDIT: Upon viewing your photo, I think I just wrote all of this for naught. My hood was "high" on the SIDES, next to each strut tower along the side seam. Not the same as yours. I believe what you are showing it pretty typical of the new style GT500 front facia fitment.

HTH,

Phill

I recommend adjusting the rubber stoppers in the front corners of the hood. I didn't think these would actually make a difference but my dad talked me into it. I should have known not to doubt a wise man. :) They screw inward and outward (right hand threaded). Make small adjustments to keep from messing anything up. I put the FRPP Strut Tower Brace and did the aforementioned adjustment. Worked like a charm. Hood fits really well.

Ford tolerances - ignore it. Mine was the same. No amount of bumpstop adjusting fixed it. It's not a Veyron.

When I first saw the design of the 2010, I knew this would be a problem. It is more a design flaw, that a good designer would have known would be an issue with the tolerance and tolerance stack up Ford has on a car such as the Mustang. I would just accept it as an "it is what it is", and just enjoy they car for what it is. A super cool, super fun, modern day muscle machine. Like ChrisSD said, it is not a Veyron.....

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this old thread up again. But today I was in the garage and noticed the exact same thing as roanry did.. I left everything i had in my hand and went to google and found this thread. I have no mods that would affect the front bumper/hood to do that, so I guess it's just normal.

Shout out from Sweden

Mine been like that since new. I can show you original condition gtos that also came that way. These are not zero tolerance cars bu far. I have to say though the 12 vette vert is almost perfect fit

Archived