TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcoa Supersnake Wheels

Sudguy4

We have discussed the engraving also. Since appears that the Alcoa finish is a coating/plating, engraving after the fact would break though the Durabright and look.............well, engraved after the fact, chipped around the edges, generally look like crap.

And you SURE as hell couldn't take 'em down "to the mall" and get 'em engraved for $50!

They aren't "engraved" in the sense that a wedding ring is. They are MACHINED.

They were worth every penny of $5K. Those were the very FIRST true Super Snake wheels I've ever seen for sale, from anyone. AND...they were brand new, not used.

I question how someone got a brand new, unmounted set of Super Snake wheels in the first place (oh, and with the "Alcoa" center caps). Even if you own a Super Snake, you have to give up your old/damaged wheel to get a new one, let alone a new SET of them.

I have a feeling those came out of the Alcoa plant (new w/Alcoa caps???). EDIT: AND, being sold in the same city as Alcoa factory resides??? Hmmmmmm!

Phill

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this case your paying 15k for the parts and 15k for the CSM number. Now granted if you pay that extra 15k given by the current super snake market your parts will not depreciate but your car will. As oppose to paying the 15k yourself to make it look the same, not only will the parts depreciate but the car will as well.

You have the concept down on how this works, but the motive is flawed. Most of the people selling supersnake wheels are not selling them to other supersnake owners. Supersnakes come with the wheels, and if they are buying another set well then thats on them to spend what they feel comfortable... This being the case, the value of the mods do not help appreciate the value of the non supersnake GT500. So the whole idea is these wheels should only be worth $4,000-5,000 to ACTUAL supersnake owners because there is no appreciation or added value to any one else.

Oh and the comment below about the durabright finish being destroyed, what about all the guys with flat black supersnake wheels. They have to be powdercoated anyways. no one will know the difference. I know, haters gonna hate... But I am not a hater... I am a realist :)

And you SURE as hell couldn't take 'em down "to the mall" and get 'em engraved for $50!

They were worth every penny of $5K. Those were the very FIRST true Super Snake wheels I've ever seen for sale, from anyone. AND...they were brand new, not used.

I question how someone got a brand new, unmounted set of Super Snake wheels in the first place (oh, and with the "Alcoa" center caps). Even if you own a Super Snake, you have to give up your old/damaged wheel to get a new one, let alone a new SET of them.

I have a feeling those came out of the Alcoa plant (new w/Alcoa caps???). EDIT: AND, being sold in the same city as Alcoa factory resides??? Hmmmmmm!

Phill

Phill - If they came with the caps shown below, disregard any of my comments of them coming with "correct Super Snake caps", I though the owner of those new $5K Super Snake wheels told me they included correct Super Snake caps also when he called me. <<I could be wrong........To be honest, I did offer $3500, or $3800 for the set.....when the owner called me. That would have been a 3rd set of correct wheels for me, and I really didn't have the extra coin to spend, but I could have come up with it if my offer would have been accepted, but it was not.

Picture1933-1-1.jpg

Believe me, I keep my "Alcoa" caps stored away. The only time that I had seen them is when I found my spare set of Alcoa's...........not before, and not since. I put them on sometimes, just for a change.

R

You have the concept down on how this works, but the motive is flawed. Most of the people selling supersnake wheels are not selling them to other supersnake owners. Supersnakes come with the wheels, and if they are buying another set well then thats on them to spend what they feel comfortable... This being the case, the value of the mods do not help appreciate the value of the non supersnake GT500. So the whole idea is these wheels should only be worth $4,000-5,000 to ACTUAL supersnake owners because there is no appreciation or added value to any one else.

Oh and the comment below about the durabright finish being destroyed, what about all the guys with flat black supersnake wheels. They have to be powdercoated anyways. no one will know the difference. I know, haters gonna hate... But I am not a hater... I am a realist :)

I am not sure, but I believe that $5K set of Super Snake Alcoa's did go to a Super Snake owner................on the east coast I think?

I do agree with you that a non-Super Snake owner spending "Super Snake" money on correct Super Snake parts is not going to enhance the $$$ value of their car, however, when the time comes to sell their car, if the Alcoa's are still in nice condition, they may see a return on their investment........maybe? The next buyer may be an actual Super Snake owner willing to spend Super Snake $$$?

On the flip side, if a Super Snake owner needs/wants a set of spares for widening etc., they will most likely want a set of correct originals and will step up with the $$$, especially since these wheels are a unique part of what makes a "Super Snake" a Super Snake.

The dark finish (powder coated) is offered by Shelby as an option for a Super Snake build, but then again, I am talking about Super Snake Alcoa's, powder coated while the car is at Shelby as ordered by the owner for their build. <<These would be Super Snake engraved wheels with dark finish as shown on the documentation as part of the original build at Shelby. I think 2011 is when this was first offered? but I would think that it may be an option now for any 2007-up Super Snake build? <<Not sure?

R

2ea 20x9 "Super Snake" scripted wheels

2ea 20x10 "Super Snake" scripted wheels

8ea "Super Snake" scripted center caps

1ea "Super Snake" scripted faux gas cap (not alum gas cap cover)

Total: $5000

Currently available "50th" Alcoa's incl center caps=$2449.99 (plus shipping)

Recently, Standard Alcoa's were selling for $4000 (plus) w/o the extras

Was it a gamble for the buyer? Yep, but the "50th's" will eventually run out as well and these will (arguably) be more valuable than the others whether it be to SS owners or anyone else trying to do what they're trying to do.

Sooo..... The market will dictate the worth NOT disgruntled individuals wishing they would have jumped on the deal but just couldn't bring themselves to whipping out that kind of cash and the worth or the product cannot be assumed by anyone 'cept the buyer as there are no laws (that I'm aware of) requiring that the value of this particular purchase be exclusive to a Super Snake owner.

Crazy? Like a fox?......... Time will tell but if Shelby collectables of the past are any indication, the buyer most likely will not come out too bad. Of course that's just one man's opinion lol.

Total: $5000

Currently available "50th" Alcoa's incl center caps=$2449.99 (plus shipping)

Recently, Standard Alcoa's were selling for $4000 (plus) w/o the extras

Was it a gamble for the buyer? Yep, but the "50th's" will eventually run out as well and these will (arguably) be more valuable than the others whether it be to SS owners or anyone else trying to do what they're trying to do.

Sooo..... The market will dictate the worth NOT disgruntled individuals wishing they would have jumped on the deal but just couldn't bring themselves to whipping out that kind of cash and the worth or the product cannot be assumed by anyone 'cept the buyer as there are no laws (that I'm aware of) requiring that the value of this particular purchase be exclusive to a Super Snake owner.

Crazy? Like a fox?......... Time will tell but if Shelby collectables of the past are any indication, the buyer most likely will not come out too bad. Of course that's just one man's opinion lol.

From what I hear, the 50th's have already come to the pre-order limit.

Were these for the 50th anniv. of Shelby Automobiles?

R

Phill - If they came with the caps shown below, disregard any of my comments of them coming with "correct Super Snake caps", I though the owner of those new $5K Super Snake wheels told me they included correct Super Snake caps...

I've seen more than one set of genuine SS wheels since that first set went up but I can say with 100% certainty that he had the Alcoa center caps (like you pictured) because I tried to get him to sell them to me separately.

I do kind of remember another set being offered that had the genuine Shelby Super Snake caps too.

The set that had the Alcoa caps was brand new, never mounted but I can't remember if the other set/s were.

I'm surprised at how many SS wheel sets suddenly became avaialable because like I said, I have NEVER seen a set of SS wheels for sale before that. I have seen a few sets of KR wheels both new and used but NEVER any Super Snake (badged) wheels.

And like I said, how the heck does someone get a NEW, UNMOUNTED set of SS wheels? If you get them on your car, they've been mounted. If you curb one you can get ONE new one but you must exchange your OE one (i.e. Warranty issue type of sale).

So how did a guy get A: A brand new SET that were B: Never mounted and C: With the Alcoa center caps....other than directly out of the Alcoa factory???

Phill

The dark finish (powder coated) is offered by Shelby as an option for a Super Snake build, but then again, I am talking about Super Snake Alcoa's, powder coated while the car is at Shelby

And I thought that was only a option on a '11 or newer Super Snake...

Phill

I've seen more than one set of genuine SS wheels since that first set went up but I can say with 100% certainty that he had the Alcoa center caps (like you pictured) because I tried to get him to sell them to me separately.

I do kind of remember another set being offered that had the genuine Shelby Super Snake caps too.

The set that had the Alcoa caps was brand new, never mounted but I can't remember if the other set/s were.

I'm surprised at how many SS wheel sets suddenly became avaialable because like I said, I have NEVER seen a set of SS wheels for sale before that. I have seen a few sets of KR wheels both new and used but NEVER any Super Snake (badged) wheels.

And like I said, how the heck does someone get a NEW, UNMOUNTED set of SS wheels? If you get them on your car, they've been mounted. If you curb one you can get ONE new one but you must exchange your OE one (i.e. Warranty issue type of sale).

So how did a guy get A: A brand new SET that were B: Never mounted and C: With the Alcoa center caps....other than directly out of the Alcoa factory???

Phill

My spare set of Super Snake engraved wheels w/Alcoa caps also came from a seller in the city where the Alcoa wheel plant is.....but let's keep that between us!

Mine were $2100 including shipping.

R

You can get a brand new set of SS wheels directly from Shelby, if you have a CSM number, you do not need to send a damaged wheel or wheels back to them. My friend has a set of Black ones new in the box, he ordered them for his 2009 SS that currently has Durabright ones on it. I am sure other SS owners have done the same.

You can get a brand new set of SS wheels directly from Shelby, if you have a CSM number, you do not need to send a damaged wheel or wheels back to them. My friend has a set of Black ones new in the box, he ordered them for his 2009 SS that currently has Durabright ones on it. I am sure other SS owners have done the same.

I know of one person who has done what you have mentioned above...........he did not have to send damaged wheels back, but he did have to lie and say he had damaged wheels (which he did not).

R

Thoses days are long gone Robert.

Roger

Those days should of never happen. Since you seem to be someone important at Shelby answer 1 question for me. If I damage one of my wheels on my Super Snake can I get a replacement or not? I've been told not anymore......and if that is truely the case it would of been nice to buy a set from Shelby before they were discontinued. Kinda like the KR wheels that were left over from that program

Those days should of never happen. Since you seem to be someone important at Shelby answer 1 question for me. If I damage one of my wheels on my Super Snake can I get a replacement or not? I've been told not anymore......and if that is truely the case it would of been nice to buy a set from Shelby before they were discontinued. Kinda like the KR wheels that were left over from that program

+1

How does a CSM Super Snake owner now get a replacement Alcoa?

R

Phill

The plant in which Alcoa wheels are made is (I believe) Cleveland, Oh and the wheels in question came out of California.

The deal was for the following:

All new in the original boxes I might add but with no "Alcoa caps".

So you were probably right in mentioning that it was worth the $5G's. Again, time will tell but probably a worthwhile investment.

And you're right about the 1 for 1 exchange policy as that "was" the standard especially now that inventory on SS rims @ Shelby has got to be dwindling.

BTW, did we get any snow yet in the Springs?

BTW, did we get any snow yet in the Springs?

Not yet. Or at least not right IN The Springs.

We went from 87d on Weds. then we got 2 real cold days (hi 20's to lo 30's) and now we're heading back up for a warming trend (low 70's).

I drained my sprinkler manifold but will turm my sprinklers back on until about 31 October (which is traditionally when we get our 1st 'real' snow).

Had a little excitement in the area over the past week. All across the street from you. A drive-by on Allison and another (in my HOA) on Tail Spin, withing days of each other.

You ain't missin' anything! <lol>

Phill

Not yet. Or at least not right IN The Springs.

We went from 87d on Weds. then we got 2 real cold days (hi 20's to lo 30's) and now we're heading back up for a warming trend (low 70's).

I drained my sprinkler manifold but will turm my sprinklers back on until about 31 October (which is traditionally when we get our 1st 'real' snow).

Had a little excitement in the area over the past week. All across the street from you. A drive-by on Allison and another (in my HOA) on Tail Spin, withing days of each other.

You ain't missin' anything! <lol>

Phill

The weather: typical (but I still miss it).

Drive By's??? Holy cow, I hope it wasn't my tenant!Lol.

Like I said, call Shelby, give them your CSM number, they will verify it with the registry, then pay for it and they will ship it to you.

10 posts above (post #103) Roger from Shelby customer sales/service says that the days of Super Snake owners buying spare Alcoa's for their Super Snake are "long gone"?

So then I asked my question..................If the Shelby sales/service representative (Roger) is saying that the Super Snake Alcoa's are no longer available in the way that your 2009 friend had bought his dark Alcoa's, what is the current way? Apparently calling Shelby and providing a CSM number no longer works........

R

10 posts above (post #103) Roger from Shelby customer sales/service says that the days of Super Snake owners buying spare Alcoa's for their Super Snake are "long gone"?

So then I asked my question..................If the Shelby sales/service representative (Roger) is saying that the Super Snake Alcoa's are no longer available in the way that your 2009 friend had bought his dark Alcoa's, what is the current way? Apparently calling Shelby and providing a CSM number no longer works........

R

From everything I've seen in the past and with Rogers most recent post, I believe you can still get Super Snake wheels as a WARRANTY item only.

I don't know if that means you can get one if you ruin it (with core exchange) or if it means you can only get one if there's a Mfgr. defect (for instance, on a 2011 or 12 Super Snake) but maybe Roger can clear that up.

I took his post to mean, someone isn't going go get a new set by lying about theft or damage. A Police report or the damaged wheel exhange is the only way...At least, that's how *I* understand it.

I know of a couple other Super Snake owners that have tried to get a pair to widen and still have the SS logo on it but they were denied. I believe they were told to buy a plain set and have them widened or to widen their existing SS wheels but unless they sent SAI two in exchange, they weren't gettin' two new ones.

But let's let Roger be the final word, not ME!

Phill

Not someone important Butch, just someone able to provide factual information, we do have wheels specifically for warranty purposes. As with any manufacture, we hold some for that purpose. On the other hand I don't believe any manufacture provides advanced notice when they change the specification, vendor or design as a running model change.

To address your KR comment, owners were notified, through this forum of the KR wheel availability and the option to purchase extra wheels and tires. There are still some that will remain here at Shelby American specifically for warranty purposes as per the agreement with FMC.

Roger

Archived