TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcoa Supersnake Wheels

Sudguy4

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question.....I remember reading sometime ago that Alcoa was discontinuing the current style wheel used on the SuperSnake. If this is so, what does the replacement wheel look like? This topic may have already been addressed, but with all the web updates to the site, I'm having trouble finding any information.

Thanks,

Sudguy4

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Scuba for the update.....I hate to see those wheels go. I hope they will continue with a nice polished wheel finish... I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but black, flat black and/or super dark colored wheels do nothing for me. They just look dirty from a distance. The DuraBrite was a great finish on the Alcoas, and I hope for something similiar.

Sudguy4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why are they discontinuing them? They must be losing popularity because only a fool would stop taking money if they are in fact still popular. For the record Id still buy a set if I could find them.

Don't know why they would drop them they're the best looking wheel on any Stang from the factory IMO.

Why are they discontinuing them? They must be losing popularity because only a fool would stop taking money if they are in fact still popular. For the record Id still buy a set if I could find them.

I heard a couple of months ago that Alcoa had posted some bad earnings to the investor world. I also heard that Alcoa wanted to raise the cost of these wheels to Shelby. I also heard that Shelby was not interested in paying more for each wheel, and selling them at a higher price.

All of this could very easily be the reason, and it has nothing to do with demand/popularity, or lack of..............

I know that Alcoa did post poor earnings because I heard it multiple times on TV and radio, and it may have been two consecutive quarters. The part about the production cost increase may, or may not be true?

R

So is there anyone making an aftermarket off brand wheel knock off, maybe without the lettering on the wheel?? Any photos of what Shelby is going to use on the 2013 Super Snake.

My "gut" feeling is that Shelby is just going to have a different mfgr. make the same wheel. The Dura-Bright process is a Alcoa exclusive so they couldn't use that but they can make the same identiacal wheel (since Shelby owns the license/rights to it) under another brand name.

JMHO,

Phill

I heard a couple of months ago that Alcoa had posted some bad earnings to the investor world. I also heard that Alcoa wanted to raise the cost of these wheels to Shelby. I also heard that Shelby was not interested in paying more for each wheel, and selling them at a higher price.

All of this could very easily be the reason, and it has nothing to do with demand/popularity, or lack of..............

I know that Alcoa did post poor earnings because I heard it multiple times on TV and radio, and it may have been two consecutive quarters. The part about the production cost increase may, or may not be true?

R

The poor earnings could be a reason from a business standpoint. Whenever a company has financial difficulties, it tends to center its efforts on its core business rather than on niche products (see what happened with Ford unloading Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin and Volvo to concentrate its effort on its core brands). I would suspect that specialty low volume aftermarket wheels do not contribute much to Alcoa's bottom line and it is obvioulsly not a significant portion of their business. They may have decided to allocate their resources in a way that they feel is more efficient. Looking at their website, truck/commercial vehicles' wheels seem to represent the bulk of their wheel business.

The poor earnings could be a reason from a business standpoint. Whenever a company has financial difficulties, it tends to center its efforts on its core business rather than on niche products (see what happened with Ford unloading Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin and Volvo to concentrate its effort on its core brands). I would suspect that specialty low volume aftermarket wheels do not contribute much to Alcoa's bottom line and it is obvioulsly not a significant portion of their business. They may have decided to allocate their resources in a way that they feel is more efficient. Looking at their website, truck/commercial vehicles' wheels seem to represent the bulk of their wheel business.

Those were also my thoughts.

R

• 4 months later...

Those Wheels look much better IN MY OPINION than those found on the Shelby 1000.

Modular wheels seems to be an alternative to the forged one piece Alcoas anyway...

pics-max-9910-491624-sema-show-2011-2012-shelby-gt500-super-snake-need-for-speed-edition.jpg

I like the look of those wheels. What 20" sizes do they come in?

R

Those Wheels look much better IN MY OPINION than those found on the Shelby 1000.

Modular wheels seems to be an alternative to the forged one piece Alcoas anyway...

pics-max-9910-491624-sema-show-2011-2012-shelby-gt500-super-snake-need-for-speed-edition.jpg

I disagree... Can't stand all those little rivets. What PIA to clean and they just look like all the other wheels with rivets. I think the 1000's are nicer..

I wish they still had the old Alcoas.

I like the look of those wheels. What 20" sizes do they come in?

R

I hope they learned their lesson by offering WIDEer wheels (11.5-12"?). I also hope they will be available with something other than flat black centers and try not to cheap out like the rest of the current Shelby wheel line (especially if they bring back an Alcoa copy).

The Alcoa's are still the best looking/quality Shelby wheel IMO.

These wheels appear to be HRE's and retail @ $1595.00 EACH!

I would be VERY surprised if SAI would be willing to increase the cost of the SS by over $4000.00.

I DO want quality but just don't want to pay for it, lol.

Guest markham51

Ditching Alcoas was bad idea. They worked perfectly on the Mustang. It gave them a unique modern and classy look all at the same time.

Ditching Alcoas was bad idea. They worked perfectly on the Mustang. It gave them a unique modern and classy look all at the same time.

+1. I'm glad I picked up a set last fall right after they were discontinued.

My "gut" feeling is that Shelby is just going to have a different mfgr. make the same wheel. The Dura-Bright process is a Alcoa exclusive so they couldn't use that but they can make the same identiacal wheel (since Shelby owns the license/rights to it) under another brand name.

JMHO,

Phill

Hey Phill,

What are you waiting for with your "purchased and awaiting installation" Dura Bright Alcoas?

By the time you mount them on your Shelby the new ones are going to be on the market! :hysterical:

Hey Phill,

What are you waiting for with your "purchased and awaiting installation" Dura Bright Alcoas?

By the time you mount them on your Shelby the new ones are going to be on the market! :hysterical:

I'm waiting for the tires to wear out on my KR wheels. When they do, I'll likely sell the 18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Brights for what I paid for my 20" Alcoas (~$2000). Or I may keep them on the shelf where my 20's are now.

I'm fine with Sheby releasing the new ones. I like the Alcoa's, regardless of what comes out. 18's or 20's.

Phill

I'm waiting for the tires to wear out on my KR wheels. When they do, I'll likely sell the 18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Brights for what I paid for my 20" Alcoas (~$2000). Or I may keep them on the shelf where my 20's are now.

I'm fine with Sheby releasing the new ones. I like the Alcoa's, regardless of what comes out. 18's or 20's.

Phill

I knew you were not far!

Yes I also kept my Alcoas.

They are just perfect to me.

Cheers :party:

I knew you were not far!

Yes I also kept my Alcoas.

They are just perfect to me.

Cheers :party:

I originally bought the KR Alcoa's because I wanted side-wall. The KR F-1 winged boot tires are HARSH on road seams. I get a ton of road noise from them. They "slap" the seams and in CO with snow, our roads have a lot of cracks and seams so they're not a good tire for out here.

My OE 19" F1 tires were fine so when the 18's wear out, I'll try the 20's and see if they're any better. If worse comes to worse, I see the 13 Boss 302 has 19" Pirelli P-zero's on it and those would go nice on my OE wheels, then I'll have two sets of Alcoa's up for sale (18" KR's and 20" SS's).

If I drop the rear tire pressure in the 18" KR tires to 20psi, they ride GREAT. And, they get GREAT traction. But 20psi is going to wear the sides out too soon.

Phill

I originally bought the KR Alcoa's because I wanted side-wall. The KR F-1 winged boot tires are HARSH on road seams. I get a ton of road noise from them. They "slap" the seams and in CO with snow, our roads have a lot of cracks and seams so they're not a good tire for out here.

My OE 19" F1 tires were fine so when the 18's wear out, I'll try the 20's and see if they're any better. If worse comes to worse, I see the 13 Boss 302 has 19" Pirelli P-zero's on it and those would go nice on my OE wheels, then I'll have two sets of Alcoa's up for sale (18" KR's and 20" SS's).

If I drop the rear tire pressure in the 18" KR tires to 20psi, they ride GREAT. And, they get GREAT traction. But 20psi is going to wear the sides out too soon.

Phill

When I sold my 2007, I mounted the original wheels & tires in place of the 20" Alcoas (with Vredestein Ultra tires 255/35/20 + 275/35/20).

I was very surprised at how uncomfortable and noisy they were...but the original, almost unused, Goodyears were kind of old also, I must admit!

Entirely new design and upgraded wheel will be appearing soon, at a theater near you. Maybe in different widths and offsets too! Made in the USA! :rockon: Please stand by. ;)

Roger

Thank you sir for that tidbit!

Will it look anything like the above?

Will they be available to non-SS owners as were the Alcoa's

What will be the finish?

Will there also be finish options?

It's ok Roger you can tell us, we won't tell......Promise!

Archived