TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Benefits of UCA swap

NMAv

I've spoken to several performance shops in town and have been told I should upgrade my UCA for a BMR. When asked why, I really didn't get a real answer. Can someone please provide me with an explanation of what benefit there is in replacing the UCA on a 2011?

I don't have any wheel hop, and the rear is more planted -- all the time. I changed both the upper and lower control arms to the Shelby pieces.

Once you remove that stock UCA and it's mounting bracket, you will be shocked that all the power is being pushed into the chassis via that flimsy sheet metal piece with big rubber bushings.

It's a little more work to change the UCA and it's mounting bracket compared to the LCAs. But not that big a deal. I certainly recommend it.

The purpose of a UCA is for the prevention of having your rear end torqued when under a heavy launch. Also adds rigidity to the car. If I may give you some input on this, if you've already started your suspension work, then go with an adjustable UCA. With this you can fine tune your car to accommodate your ride height.

then go with an adjustable UCA. With this you can fine tune your car to accommodate your ride height.

And launch.

A UCA is just another tool to fine tune your suspension and get your Instant Center (IC) placed in exactly the right position.

The IC is defined as the point where the two axis (LCA & UCA) intersects. You can't do it ALL with just lower control arm locators.

HTH,

Phill

Archived