TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Build Time line - what happened when???

S8MS-01904

OK, since the hunt is over, I'm curious to the build of these beasts.

My KR was built a AAI in 5/08 and the door post sticker states modified 11/08. What happen when??

I assume batch build at AAI, rail to SAI, then "convert". OK, I get that, but details....

Were these cars build as "knock down build" as no hoods, stripes, exhaust, base wheels so on so forth.... or stanard GT500's with stripe delete.

I was at SAI in January 2009 and saw some black KR's out back in mist of build (no grilles, stripes). I guess I'm looking for the Process Sequence Build Instructions if these is such a thing..

post-10785-0-29448900-1323024948_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-29448900-1323024948_thumb.jpg

OK, since the hunt is over, I'm curious to the build of these beasts.

My KR was built a AAI in 5/08 and the door post sticker states modified 11/08. What happen when??

I assume batch build at AAI, rail to SAI, then "convert". OK, I get that, but details....

Were these cars build as "knock down build" as no hoods, stripes, exhaust, base wheels so on so forth.... or stanard GT500's with stripe delete.

I was at SAI in January 2009 and saw some black KR's out back in mist of build (no grilles, stripes). I guess I'm looking for the Process Sequence Build Instructions if these is such a thing..

The KR build process is outlined in one of the Shelby Driving Experience magazines, available through the Shelby Store. I don't remember what year the magazine is but if you can see the covers, it's listed on the cover. I think it's the 2nd edition. If you can't find out which, e-mail me at phill.pollard@comcast.net and I'll look through my collection and give you the correct year (it's a annual publication).

I know they started out with GT500 "spoiler delete" cars but I can't remember if they arrived at Shelby sans hoods (hood delete cars) or not. Otherwise, everything was a regular production GT500 (IF I remember correctly). Oh, I think they were stripe delete cars too (I THINK). Someone recently posted a couple of KR window stickers (the FoMoCo sticker) and it shows the "deleted items" on it. If you can find that recent thread, it might help you out some.

HTH,

Phill

It was my understanding they were complete cars minus stripes and spoiler. There was a long wait until the CF parts were up to snuff. Someone told me the CF parts caused a 6-7 month delay with a LOT of cars sitting around Shelby with hoods missing. Correction, mine shows the following deleted: tape stripe delete, over the top stripe delete, rear spoiler delete and front floormat delete. This is from the invoice.

Correction, mine shows the following deleted: tape stripe delete, over the top stripe delete, rear spoiler delete and front floormat delete. This is from the invoice.

Yes, that's why I said I *know* it was a spoiler delte car. From seeing a window sticker that had the above information on it.

I forgot about the floor-mat delete but was pretty sure about the stripe delete.

And now I'm wondering why all of those Black KR's sitting at Shelby don't have front grille's in them. The KR grille is the same as the standard GT500, isn't it? I mean, other than the wings on the cobra and all you have to do is unscrew the stand-off from behind.

Phill

Geeze dude, I was correcting MYSELF! :rolleyes:

Uhhh, yeah...And? <??SHRUG??>

I was agreeing with you and telling you how I *know* the spoiler delete was part of the KR program.

So what's yer point?

Phill

Yeah, I was wondering that as well about the grille. It appears that the window on a couple of them have "additional" documents.

Also, would it be safe to say that the 2009 build KR's were through AAI before the end of 2009? Or shall I ask the question; at what date was the last KR through AAI and when was the last KR completed at SAI?

As Shelby said: "Make History, then Repeat It".

I'm trying to understand the build sequence to better enjoy my KR.

post-10785-0-60132700-1323041125_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-60132700-1323041125_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering that as well about the grille. It appears that the window on a couple of them have "additional" documents.

That might be the build sheet or the "check-off list". It's shown in the article I mention in a post above. They check off items as they install them, throughout the entire build process. At the end, all boxes must be checked indicating all add-on items were added.

I say..."Might Be".

Phill (makes sense to me!)

The way mine came off the truck, the dealership claimed to have removed nor added anything to it. The owner said that he knew several Shelby owners like to do all the sticker removal themselves and he wanted there to be a choice for the owner. I said he could leave it alone. No PDI even.

post-23756-0-74007300-1323042925_thumb.jpg

post-23756-0-74007300-1323042925_thumb.jpg

The way mine came off the truck, the dealership claimed to have removed nor added anything to it. The owner said that he knew several Shelby owners like to do all the sticker removal themselves and he wanted there to be a choice for the owner. I said he could leave it alone. No PDI even.

I like it, got any close ups of each "tag/sticker"? I would like to see more.

Importantly they were transferred to SAI as units "not for public sale".

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I'm wondering if maybe the arrived at Shelby minus the air filter assembly too since Shelby added the CAI/tune at their production facilty.

If they were missing the air box, filter and possibly the MAF housing, that would make them "non-smog legal" because the AC is part of the EVAP system and the MAF is part of the EEC system.

Pure speculation on my part,

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

The KR build was documented in the 2008 SHELBY Annual magazine. Thew article is titled Building the GT500KR and actually shows what happens to the car from start to finish and even shows a picture of the SHELBY GT500KR Build Process Flow Chart which I would love to get my hands on one of those I have tried to blow the picture up enogh to see it better so I can re create it but the copy I have is old. If anyone out there has a copy of this document I would love a copy and I am sure a bunch of KR owners would like one also..

Tim

The KR build was documented in the 2008 SHELBY Annual magazine. Thew article is titled Building the GT500KR and actually shows what happens to the car from start to finish and even shows a picture of the SHELBY GT500KR Build Process Flow Chart which I would love to get my hands on one of those I have tried to blow the picture up enogh to see it better so I can re create it but the copy I have is old. If anyone out there has a copy of this document I would love a copy and I am sure a bunch of KR owners would like one also..

Tim

Yeah, we need somebody to scan these pages in and make a sticky! I think I got that magazine if I remember where I put it???

It's my understanding, that like the SGT before it, the cars leave Ford as legally drivable and complete cars. The parts are added or deleted to create a KR at SA.

The grills were missing in the picture, from what I understand, due to the stripes which pass under the grill assembly, and while out, the grill emblems were swapped.

For the rest I refer you to the magazine article.

It's my understanding, that like the SGT before it, the cars leave Ford as legally drivable and complete cars. The parts are added or deleted to create a KR at SA.

The grills were missing in the picture, from what I understand, due to the stripes which pass under the grill assembly, and while out, the grill emblems were swapped.

For the rest I refer you to the magazine article.

+1. My understanding is also that the cars were fully drivable. The only item missing from the Ford factory was the rear spoiler. The standard GT500 spoiler was deleted on cars destined to KR conversions.

I found them (2007 & 2008 Shelby Annual Magazines), best reading material for sure.

Will try my best to scan what I can and post (won't happen overnight), cause I'm studying them first.

The 2008 Annual can still be had, see the Shelby American link at top of website.

post-10785-0-01054200-1324521604_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-89225700-1324524853_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-01054200-1324521604_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-89225700-1324524853_thumb.jpg

Archived