TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500KR Upfit Package

COGT500KR

I purchased a 08 KR this past summer and would love to get some feedback from you guys. Has anyone purchased the Upfit Package thru Shelby for the GT500KR? Would anyone know if this would "depreciate" or increase the value of the car since it is a limited edition? I would love to upgrade a few things thru Shelby in Vegas, but at the same time I do not want to do something that would depreciate it's value. Thanks for your input!

I purchased a 08 KR this past summer and would love to get some feedback from you guys. Has anyone purchased the Upfit Package thru Shelby for the GT500KR? Would anyone know if this would "depreciate" or increase the value of the car since it is a limited edition? I would love to upgrade a few things thru Shelby in Vegas, but at the same time I do not want to do something that would depreciate it's value. Thanks for your input!

Welcome to TS, great folks and loads of good info here. Congrats on the purchase of your KR. Make sure your register it SAI, you can email all of your info Name, addy, vin & csm to stevent@shelbyamerican.com

MOD: Please send this thread to the correct GT500KR sub-forum

To answer you're question, I have a few friends that have purchased this package, and it looks great. However, at this time this is something you would do for yourself. As It is way too early in the game to see what (if any) impact it would have in future values. I just brokered a 08KR with the upgrade package, and the price of the car was inline with current market condition, no more, no less.

Hope this helps, be sure to check into the KR sub-forum for more info.

COGT,

Welcome and congrats!

This topic has been discussed often here in this forum. Here is one that I went into depth on the mod thing of KR's.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70801-2009-kr-pricing-suggestionsfor-sale/

It's goes in depth, but it's all there in the thread.

I'm assuming you are talking about the interior upfit package? I could have sworn SAI used to have a performance upfit package for the KR in addition to interior upfit. But can't find the performance one anymore. You are talking about the interior upfit?

Gary Disney is the guy that does the interior upfit. Super nice. He owns a KR himself and realizes that some might be concerned about the, "pedigree", being marginalized. As so, he packages up all your original seat material so you have the original parts.

Personally, I don't think any upfit packages done directly by SAI affect the, "pedigree" for sale 20 years down the road.

Do anything you want to with your KR and enjoy it today. Not 20 years from now. Just be able to return it to 100% stock with whatever you do. What you do in upgrades is for your enjoyment in the here and now. That will probably be money lost on resale. You go to sell the KR, and you've put say 20k in mods, expect pennies on the dollar for those mods, if any. As long as you have the original parts to have the capability to return it to stock, the car will sell just fine, as Cali described above, But it will be priced as a stock KR. You'll lose money on the mods. They were done for your enjoyment.

Now, whether you would get a 1 for 1 return on your dollar with an interior upfit package done directly by SAI? I would say that you would be likely to get MORE of a return in an upfit package. Whether it's dollar for dollar I dunno'. I see the SAI upfit as a good thing...adding value to the car. Again, if it adds a dollar for dollar value increase, I don't know.

The most, and I mean the MOST important thing if you are looking strictly towards the future and the sale of your KR....20+ years from now, is to be able to document the life of the car from day one. This, besides crashing/damaging the car, is the single most important thing that you can have available to keep the value of the car. All the documents/certificates, etc, that came with the car. Everything to proof positive document the life of the car. REally valuable.

Mod as you want and be able to return it to 100% stock. Keep all the documentation. And enjoy today. That's my .02!

Welcome to TS, COGT

I agree with terumi71 that a package installed by SAI should not negatively impact the value of the car. Not sure though that the additional $19K (cost of the package according to the online brochure) would bring a dollar for dollar return, but cars (and mods) are meant to be enjoyed.

The KR upfit package seems to include more than just interior from what I understand. In fact the two tone interior seems to be an option rather than part of the original package.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/catalog/#/18

I also thing that being able to return the car to 100% stock is the key. When I bought mine, I planned to do only two mods: Alcoa 20s (done) and FRPP TVS (likely next spring). I will obviously keep the original parts and put them back on when I sell the cars. Hopefully, this will be many years from now.

Interesting how they show a fire extinguisher mounted to the pass side seat adjuster bar. I would like to mount one in my KR but not there.

Archived