TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kenne Bell or Whipple supercharger ????

elanore

Want to SS my2012 GT 500 but don't know wich supercharge is the best for my need ??? Can somebody help !!!

What is, "your need"?

Phill

There's a reason why Ford Racing picked the Whipple.

And why the Cobra Jet uses a Whipple....

Having said that, Superchargers are like politics and religion. You'll be hard pressed to find everyone in agreement on all of them.

I like the Whipple but more for the "retro" look over the KB. And as Justin Starkey and SD Chris pointed out, "boost is boost".

I don't *completely* agree with that but it's as close to the truth as you could get. The pulses generated vary from SC to SC, which is why a TVS is *supposed* to be better than a traditional Roots or Scroll type Supercharger.

And why the NHRA banned the screw-type blowers that Austin Coil developed.

Phill

I'm digging my Whipple 2.9 blower, didn't have to lower the engine, didn't have to notch the hood.

Good points, both of them.

I too LOVE my Whipple 2.9L blower. I can't wait to get it down into some good air.

Phill

• 5 months later...

Just got done checking out a Kenne Bell 3.6 and 2.9. I personaly like the Whipple better. I think it looks cooler and tuff. It just looks like it belongs on that engine. I'm goin with the big Whipple. :rockon:

I have a Whipple 2.9 in my 08 GT-500 and a Kenne-bell in my 07 SGT.Feeling the need for more power in the SGT, everyone told me that Kenne was the best, so Kenne it was,Then I bought my GT-500. I went with whipple because, i got a super deal for a stage 2 package...Ive had a couple problems w/ the Kenne and their cust. support sucks and its hard to get a hold of anyone..on the other hand, no problems with the Whipple, run like a champ..Installation is a hell of alot easier too. It took me almost a day and half to drop in the K/Bell, I Spent no longer than 4 hours plus another 2 for the afco heat exchanger upgrade, for the Whipple...

It seems the the Whipple is a little quieter too. which it is a plus for me...

Here in Hawaii, Whipple seems to be more popular among the Mustang and Camaro crowd...

just my 2 cents....

Here in Hawaii, Whipple seems to be more popular among the Mustang and Camaro crowd...

just my 2 cents....

When I first got my GT500 a very knowledgeable friend asked me what blower I was going with. I told him it was between Whipple and Kenne Bell.

He said, "When I hear 'Whipple', I automatically think Ford and when I hear 'Ford' I automatically think Whipple."

They are darn near synomyous.

I went with Whipple more for the 'retro' look, because it looks so close to a Detroit Diesel/GMC 4, 6 or 8-71 Blower of days gone by. Their reputation and professionalisum didn't hurt any either.

Is professionalisum a word???

Phill

And why the Cobra Jet uses a Whipple....

Having said that, Superchargers are like politics and religion. You'll be hard pressed to find everyone in agreement on all of them.

I like the Whipple but more for the "retro" look over the KB. And as Justin Starkey and SD Chris pointed out, "boost is boost".

I don't *completely* agree with that but it's as close to the truth as you could get. The pulses generated vary from SC to SC, which is why a TVS is *supposed* to be better than a traditional Roots or Scroll type Supercharger.

And why the NHRA banned the screw-type blowers that Austin Coil developed.

Phill

Screw type blowers have always been banned for Top Fuel Dragster and Top Fuel Funny car. Roots style only since the begining of time. Force and Coil tried to put one over on the NHRA with their own in house product but NHRA took one look at it and said, Nope! Screw type OK for alcohol cars though and pro mod.

I do see a great deal of support for the Whipple here, but would be interesting to hear more from the Kenne Bell side of the group too. Anyone have any info pro or con as to the Whipple vs the Kenne Bell in the 3.6 size range. I see Shelby doing quite a few builds with the KB 3.6LC, so there must be a reason?

I do see a great deal of support for the Whipple here, but would be interesting to hear more from the Kenne Bell side of the group too. Anyone have any info pro or con as to the Whipple vs the Kenne Bell in the 3.6 size range. I see Shelby doing quite a few builds with the KB 3.6LC, so there must be a reason?

Shelby has done testing with GT500's and Kenne Bell. I remember very impressive HP numbers. K. B. does not always state a specified torqe number.

I am no engineer or racer, just a weekend driver. My '07 SS came with either the KB or the Ford Racing sc. I chose the KB because of it chrome finish. I also believe during the early released cars, the KB had a bit more hp. That said I Googled KB vs Whipple. There is an article involving a pretty in depth chat with Dustin Whipple and Jim Bell comparing their sc's. One other thing. I know the newer Bell sc's have the liquid cooled option. Same with Whipple?

Archived