TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires on 2013 GT500

309grovest

Always end your statements like above with the word, "yet". Because you can always hope be a future owner. (LOL)

Good luck and stay interested. :salute:

Funny you said that, because a long time SVT dealer has agreed in writing to sell me his first 13' GT500 at MSRP.

Left a small deposit to hold my place until he is ready to order the car

they said larger rear would force them to use larger front which would create understeer issues and less turn input and they are focusing on reducing understeer but the zr1 and viper both use larger front and rear so why the difference? cause the gt500 is much heavier than those cars? not trying to compare the gt500 with those cars just wonder why they use a larger tire and ford isnt

they said larger rear would force them to use larger front which would create understeer issues and less turn input and they are focusing on reducing understeer but the zr1 and viper both use larger front and rear so why the difference? cause the gt500 is much heavier than those cars? not trying to compare the gt500 with those cars just wonder why they use a larger tire and ford isnt

The one thing you forgot to add is that he said the new gearing along with launch control it will hookup. Ford will be releasing a video showing the difference between a pro driver and just using launch control.

Great video about why Ford went with the 285 again. I feel very confident about this car putting power to the ground better then my 2011.

Thanks for the links BpMurr. Very good stuff and you can tell that Jamal is really passionate about the car...and not some rented suit and tie guy.

Thanks for the links BpMurr. Very good stuff and you can tell that Jamal is really passionate about the car...and not some rented suit and tie guy.

+1

Sort of disappointed in all the heat he has taken for his "um" habbit. Much better hearing from him than some slick spokesmodel type pretending to care about the car for the length of the interview.

I found the mention of the tradeoffs between the 3 types of GT500 buyers, cruiser, 1/4 mile and road track types, interesting. Ford probably needs all 3 to justify the GT500's existence and so can't specialize the GT500 as much as any single type of buyer of would like. Fortunately a large Mustang aftermarket exists for that.

I suspect the 285s are the right compromise; the 1/4 mile guys and the road track guys who really care are going to go out and get the tires they need for their particular kind of racing. 285s with the addition of launch control and gearing changes, assuming the changes all work together in the real world as advertised, should satisfy most cruisers/stop light to stop light type warriors, not add a ton of cost to the car, and provide the numbers Ford needs to beat Chevy in the mag. comparos. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out in the real world.

"Great video about why Ford went with the 285 again."

Not so great...i am locked out of youtube...why did they stay with 285 again?...anyone...

Thanks

ME163

Bottom line was that making the back tires wider without doing something with the front would result in too much understeer. He said they have been battling the understeer issue for years on this chassis and the only way to bring the handling back in line would then be the addition of wider front tires. But in their testing, they found that wider front tires compromised steering feel and other aspects of handling and ride quality too much.

Another possibility that wasn't mentioned was that a larger set of tires may have compromised fuel economy bringing the guzzler tax back into the picture and raising the overall cost. I know it would be minimal and talking fuel economy sounds crazy considering the car but anything messing with the CAFE average wont get any coporate love. How they avoided the guzzler tax with the numbers this engine makes is astonishing! Just a thought.

Both the Viper and Vette where designed from the ground up for wider tires than Ford probably ever envisioned putting on the Mustang when it initially designed the chassis.

I think Jamal Hameedi's explanations for the design decisions in the videos are reasonable, but probably not complete. I'm sure engineering/manufacturing cost also factored into the decision. It could well be that getting wider front and rear tires on the current chassis, and meeting Fords standards for clearances and ride quality, would have required additional changes to the chasis and suspension that SVT wasn't willing to make given the programs budget and expected length.

It is pretty much a given that SVT doesn't have the charter to create a supercar level $100K+ Mustang. (Note the lack of carbon fiber body panels...) No reason to emphasize that in the PR videos. They do seem to have a charter from Ford upper management to be at the top of the muscle/pony car heap. Looks like SVT is suceeding at that.

Sort of disappointed in all the heat he has taken for his "um" habbit. Much better hearing from him than some slick spokesmodel type pretending to care about the car for the length of the interview.

I suspect the 285s are the right compromise; the 1/4 mile guys and the road track guys who really care are going to go out and get the tires they need for their particular kind of racing.

Yeah...that "umm" stuff is a non-issue for me...and I probably wouldn't have even noticed if it were not brought up. People love to put other people down...just the way it is.

I agree too about all the talk about the "285's" being too small...if you are really going to push the car and need that big of a tire...you make the modifications yourself. The majority of the mustang owners aren't constantly going down the dragstrip with their cars or participating in illegal street racing. So the 285 is a beautiful size to strike a balance...and I found it very interesting about the side effects of going to larger front tire. I was thinking about putting 285's all around...to be able to run all-seasons - but after hearing that it changed my mind and I'm just going to stick with the stock configuration.

• 1 month later...

Notice on the vid he said the 013 GT500 will feel less torquey than the 012 !!...Less brutal more like the Ford GT!!...Well if i'm buying a Stang

with 650 hp and 600 ftlbs of torgue I want brutal...And bigger tires to add to the muscle car look heck even the 12 Maro has 305's on the rear.

Did you ever look at the size of a 305 compared to a 285? For that matter, compare 2 285 tires from different manufacturers. Size is only one factor when it comes to traction and handling. Im sure, as someone has said here, this is a compromise for all three drivers. To get maximum perfomance on a road course or, a drag strip requires different tires in two different directions. Im not an expert on the matter but, from the experience I do have, traction is much more affected by compond than by size (if sizes are within a couple sizes)

Archived