TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Team Shelby "Like" System

robertlane

At the end of each forum post, you'll notice a "Like" button. The "Like" button, as promised replaces the +/- reputation system.

At this point, we don't have it setup to count all of the "Likes" a user receives, however, we can do that if the community wishes such.

Let me know your thoughts.

yea i dont understand likes, not a fan that Facebook does it, if TeamShelby forums wants to be Facebook-ish, its cool

I think "likes" should be used for Pictures. but then you might get people, why dont anyone like this, blah blah blah, I am on some other forums and they do points, and some people cry about the point system isnt working right, and they want their points to be recorded, im like seriously, what you going to do with your points, or do you want a trophy?

o Well that is my rant for today

I think members should put their thoughts in writing rather than clicking a button.

How about being able to do both? That's what a "Like" button would allow you to do, "Like" a certain post AND respond to it in writing. There could be a whole bunch of people a particular post helps out but they really don't have anything to say about it other than "+1" (or some other such indication) so all they do is take up space in the thread. A "Like" feature would allow them to get the same point across, without adding to the Signal/Noise (S/N) ratio.

Personally, I think the old "rating system" that was in place sucked. For instance, I had a "Negative 1" rating for some reason and quite honestly, it kind of pissed me off a little. My thoughts on it were, "Oh, I see. So one bonehead who doesn't like me (or what I say/said) clicks on a button to give me a negative rating...but what about the other 10-20-30-80-etc. who LIKE what I've told them or helped them with but either don't give you (me) positive feedback, or aren't able to?" AND, the person that gave me negative feedback was able to do it annomyously. I just felt "that sucked". And I got a PM from someone who also got a Negative 1 feedback wondering if it was due to a particular thread that we didn't join in the "Fanboy/Fanfest" on and spoke our honest word AND the honest TRUTH.

IMO, that feature just made TS into a popularity contest, not a true indication of your ability to help others (or not). Can you say "American Idol"? In other words, it's not a indicator of talent/skill but more of a indicator of likeability or unlikeability. Me personally? I could really care less if someone likes or dislikes me but if that's the case, tell me to "my face" (via PM, on Forum or e-mail if you like)! Don't be a coward about it, just TELL ME (i.e. if I don't know I'm being a ass, I can't change the fact!)

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

YEAH Phill I also was NOT a fan of the old system. I had a negative rating of -70 at one point just because I created a thread asking people to help me remove my negative rating which was only I think a negative -6 at the time I created the thread. People thought it was funny to keep clicking the - button but in the end all it did was make it impossible for me to sell my SHELBY GT guitar because I had some fools PM me saying they would buy the guitar but they were concerned that I had such a high negative rating......TALK ABOUT BEING PISSED OFF......I am glad now that the system is changed and I do like now that you can click LIKE if you like something.

People who are dishonest and have taken advantage of others on here get called out pretty quick when they do try to sell something so to have the old rating system that was not accurate was just useless.

How about being able to do both? That's what a "Like" button would allow you to do, "Like" a certain post AND respond to it in writing. There could be a whole bunch of people a particular post helps out but they really don't have anything to say about it other than "+1" (or some other such indication) so all they do is take up space in the thread. A "Like" feature would allow them to get the same point across, without adding to the Signal/Noise (S/N) ratio.

Personally, I think the old "rating system" that was in place sucked. For instance, I had a "Negative 1" rating for some reason and quite honestly, it kind of pissed me off a little. My thoughts on it were, "Oh, I see. So one bonehead who doesn't like me (or what I say/said) clicks on a button to give me a negative rating...but what about the other 10-20-30-80-etc. who LIKE what I've told them or helped them with but either don't give you (me) positive feedback, or aren't able to?" AND, the person that gave me negative feedback was able to do it annomyously. I just felt "that sucked". And I got a PM from someone who also got a Negative 1 feedback wondering if it was due to a particular thread that we didn't join in the "Fanboy/Fanfest" on and spoke our honest word AND the honest TRUTH.

IMO, that feature just made TS into a popularity contest, not a true indication of your ability to help others (or not). Can you say "American Idol"? In other words, it's not a indicator of talent/skill but more of a indicator of likeability or unlikeability. Me personally? I could really care less if someone likes or dislikes me but if that's the case, tell me to "my face" (via PM, on Forum or e-mail if you like)! Don't be a coward about it, just TELL ME (i.e. if I don't know I'm being a ass, I can't change the fact!)

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Phill,

With your professional working career automotive knowledge, now in retirement you are invaluable to the Forum. Keep up the good work. We "like" it.

YEAH Phill I also was NOT a fan of the old system. I had a negative rating of -70 at one point just because I created a thread asking people to help me remove my negative rating which was only I think a negative -6 at the time I created the thread. People thought it was funny to keep clicking the - button but in the end all it did was make it impossible for me to sell my SHELBY GT guitar because I had some fools PM me saying they would buy the guitar but they were concerned that I had such a high negative rating......TALK ABOUT BEING PISSED OFF......I am glad now that the system is changed and I do like now that you can click LIKE if you like something.

People who are dishonest and have taken advantage of others on here get called out pretty quick when they do try to sell something so to have the old rating system that was not accurate was just useless.

NordicShelby,

This is very true, but sometimes criticism has gone overboard as well...

Archived