TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heat Exchanger/Radiator Upgrade

Wanted to ask if any other owners out there installed a heat exchnager and radiator WITHOUT upgrading the resevoir tanks..

I have a 2010 Vert and am really considering the purchase but haven't been able to justify the extra $800+ to upgrade those two components in the process.. Has any of you gone that route and are you satisfied with the results?

Maybe this is a question that Van can answer. For the record, my GT 500 is completely stock but I would like to focus on the performance constratints from the factory first before I look down the road at performance Mods.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I did the heat exchanger (from van) without going to a bigger reservoir tank. Did not do anything to the cooling system side. It has worked great for me during some very spirited driving at the proving grounds on the trip to Dearborn. Have not tracked it hard however. Around town on the street seems to have "power" a little longer than it did before the swap but that might just be my imagination ;)

Wanted to ask if any other owners out there installed a heat exchnager and radiator WITHOUT upgrading the resevoir tanks..

I have a 2010 Vert and am really considering the purchase but haven't been able to justify the extra $800+ to upgrade those two components in the process.. Has any of you gone that route and are you satisfied with the results?

Maybe this is a question that Van can answer. For the record, my GT 500 is completely stock but I would like to focus on the performance constratints from the factory first before I look down the road at performance Mods.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I also have a 2010 GT500 (coupe) and if you look at my sig you'll see the list of mods I've done to it.

Although my mods are fairly extensive now, I kept the car stock for the first full year thru the "burn-in period", just in case I needed to use the factory warranty. But during the second winter when I "stored" the car, I used the opportunity to modify it a little.

With it dead stock, I never found the need to improve on the factory intercooler. I did however add a Roush high capacity Intercooler degass bottle because I saw one on a 427R and I liked the way it looked by mirror imagaging the factory coolant reservoir. I added the Ford Racing Whipple 2.9L supercharger to it and at first I never felt the need for the intercooler upgrade. Then my son came into town from CA and I took him for a ride to show him what the car could do. After 4 spirted runs (1st. run from 40mph to 100mph - last run I went through the first 4 gears and up to 140+ MPH) I got on it from a stop in 1st gear then 2nd gear, which usually just blows the tires off the car. This time, NO tire spin at all. Not in 1st, not in 2nd. The dreaded "Heat Soak" got me and it was OBVIOUS that I was lacking power. The 2010+ PCU pulls timing when the intercooler coolant temp reaches something like 120 d and I can say with some assurance that it pulls a LOT of timing from it, at LEAST 10 degrees (if not more).

It was at that point that I decided to purchase a C&R heat exchanger and radiator from the person who actually developed them for the GT500's, C. Van Collier at Revan Racing (contrary to what is advertised elsewhere). I already purchased and installed the Roush 3x Intercooler degas bottle so I was good there. I bought it directly from Roush Racing, through my Ford dealer who is also a Roush dealer, rather than spend $900 on a full set from Revan Racing or Shelby Performance Parts.

When I bought my IC degas bottle from Roush they were selling them for $55.00 ($45.00 dealer cost). They have since raised the price to something like $75.00 (they're on the Roush site). The Roush degas bottle gives you 3 times the amount of coolant in the reservoir than the OEM degas bottle does and as I said, it is a mirror image of the radiator coolant reservior so it looks natural, like it was meant to be, from the factory.

So you *can* have your cake and eat it too, without costing yourself $800-$900. $75 is a great deal considering some other vendors charge much more for the same bottle.

Hope That Helps/HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

I also have a 2010 GT500 (coupe) and if you look at my sig you'll see the list of mods I've done to it.

Although my mods are fairly extensive now, I kept the car stock for the first full year thru the "burn-in period", just in case I needed to use the factory warranty. But during the second winter when I "stored" the car, I used the opportunity to modify it a little.

With it dead stock, I never found the need to improve on the factory intercooler. I did however add a Roush high capacity Intercooler degass bottle because I saw one on a 427R and I liked the way it looked by mirror imagaging the factory coolant reservoir. I added the Ford Racing Whipple 2.9L supercharger to it and at first I never felt the need for the intercooler upgrade. Then my son came into town from CA and I took him for a ride to show him what the car could do. After 4 spirted runs (1st. run from 40mph to 100mph - last run I went through the first 4 gears and up to 140+ MPH) I got on it from a stop in 1st gear then 2nd gear, which usually just blows the tires off the car. This time, NO tire spin at all. Not in 1st, not in 2nd. The dreaded "Heat Soak" got me and it was OBVIOUS that I was lacking power. The 2010+ PCU pulls timing when the intercooler coolant temp reaches something like 120 d and I can say with some assurance that it pulls a LOT of timing from it, at LEAST 10 degrees (if not more).

It was at that point that I decided to purchase a C&R heat exchanger and radiator from the person who actually developed them for the GT500's, C. Van Collier at Revan Racing (contrary to what is advertised elsewhere). I already purchased and installed the Roush 3x Intercooler degas bottle so I was good there. I bought it directly from Roush Racing, through my Ford dealer who is also a Roush dealer, rather than spend $900 on a full set from Revan Racing or Shelby Performance Parts.

When I bought my IC degas bottle from Roush they were selling them for $55.00 ($45.00 dealer cost). They have since raised the price to something like $75.00 (they're on the Roush site). The Roush degas bottle gives you 3 times the amount of coolant in the reservoir than the OEM degas bottle does and as I said, it is a mirror image of the radiator coolant reservior so it looks natural, like it was meant to be, from the factory.

So you *can* have your cake and eat it too, without costing yourself $800-$900. $75 is a great deal considering some other vendors charge much more for the same bottle.

Hope That Helps/HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Phil thank you for the tip! I have been on Van's site several times and read many posts here as well about how much his heat exchanger makes a difference and want to make that purchase but didn't think to even look at the Roush site... His cooling res look amazing but I will most definitely look at buying the Roush product instead just because of cost effectiveness...

I used the 15% sale to ****can the exhaust manifolds and ordered the Kooks High Flow cat with x-pipe setup... Still trying to learn the GT500's as I am an old fox body owner by trade.. Guess you can say I am taking a different route than most new Shelby owners but still much to learn...

Thanks for all that have responded and helping out a newbie!

Archived