TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Registration

So the new ride should be here in a couple weeks. I was wondering what others have done when getting their cars registered in their home state. I bought the GT thru a dealer in Vegas and have not paid sales tax. When I get my tag here in FL I'd sure like to only pay tax on the GT, not the Shelby 350 upgrades. Do you think this is possible? All they should look at is the VIN, right?

Thanks fellas.

T

T

Have your dealer give you a bill of sale for the Mustang GT donor car without the 350 upgrade package. I know for me and others, we did not pay tax on the 350 upgrade package. I know for my previous purchase in 2007, Shelby was charging tax, but not anymore for out of state. I'm in Florida, too.

Hope this helps.

In Hawaii instead of a sales tax there is an excise tax, so the entire delovery amount is assessed including both the Mustang GT and the GT350 charges. Price of paradise.

This I did not know and this changes things! I should be out to Oahu about a month and was waiting to order a car after I got there instead of where I'm at so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice so to speak but that excise tax will probably be more than shipping if car is above $75,000 wouldn't you think?

This I did not know and this changes things! I should be out to Oahu about a month and was waiting to order a car after I got there instead of where I'm at so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice so to speak but that excise tax will probably be more than shipping if car is above $75,000 wouldn't you think?

Probably true. If you are looking to get a GT350, there is one still for sale here at the dealership. It is a 2011, 525 HP with painted stripes.

In Hawaii instead of a sales tax there is an excise tax, so the entire delovery amount is assessed including both the Mustang GT and the GT350 charges. Price of paradise.

And we appreciate it when we visit! :camera:

John

You need to calculate the difference between your current state tax, up to the value of the base mustang, vs the Hawaii excise tax, and then compare that to Matson's shipping charge. Its REALLY expensive to ship a car to Hawaii so check it out first. Matson will give you quotes. They are the big player. Might be more but they are the one I am familiar with. I use to live out there and paid a lot to ship my car back over 10 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I shipped my car by Pasha, drive on/drive off. Lower rate than Matson and arrived in perfect condition. They go through San Diego (lower dock rates). The car was sent by closed transport to the coast. I have used Matson and Horizon lines a number of times as I a have lkived here all my life but had to get cars back and forth to the mainland. No serious issues in any shipment. The only hassle is the time it takes for drop off and pick up. Pasha was fast and thorough and is used by almost all the exotic car dealers and car owners.

Archived