TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR front wheel/tire question

I put the 285's up front and drove the car around for a day. Didn't corner heavily, though. My car is lowered.

There was no rubbing. i want to get rid of the stagger. It's time for tires, and I'm researching. I'll be doing something soon. Rear tires are about shot.

The other option is wider rear tires which means I won't be able to get rid of the stagger. Hook vs cornering. I've spoken with a lot of people about tires and there's a lot of options. Rims, tires, sidewall, width, and on and on.

But to answer your question, on the day that I swapped my stock front and rear tires and drove around for the day, on a lowered KR, there was no rub.

Hope it helps! I'll be doing something soon....well....after I recover from the spare parts sale for KR owners. But tires is next on the list.

Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is because I have an extra KR wheel (for a spare). I want to buy a tire for it, but not sure what size. I've seen threads on this subject. Some are using a 255 front tire for a spare because it fits in the trunk. However, I can get a deal on a rear 285. Wouldn't a 285 be better than a 255 for a spare especially if used in the rear? I've read that using different height size tires in the rear will mess up the rear end assembly. Aren't the front 255s slightly taller than the rear 285s?

Thoughts?

Doing the math, 285/40/R18 is 26.98 inches tall and 255/45/R18 is 27.04 inches tall. So yes they are slightly taller, by 0.06 inches which is about 1/16th of an inch. No telling what the manufacturing tolerances are, so I cannot imagine the difference is significant.

Obviously the 285 tire is wider than the 255 by about 1.2 inches. I wonder if you can get a 285 tire thru the trunk opening?

I've been running 285's on the front now for several months, no problems.

I was wondering if 285s would fit the front of the KR without any issues. I've seen 2007-2009 GT500s run this combo without any problems, but the KRs are slightly lower. Has anyone on here run this combo before?

• 2 months later...

Archived