TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front splitter - removal / shipping

S8MS-01904

OK, if and when I find my KR, do you recommend removing the front splitter so the ya'who's at the shipping company doesn't scrap it up???

How "easy" is it to do if say I'm at a stealership with limited time & tools to remove. Is there easy access to the mounting hardware from the back side? Pictures help as I'm a visual kind of learner.

Thanks.

My car came from South Carolina to Washington, some 2400 miles in an enclosed trailer with a new Ferrari 599 and other little beauties. My splitter was left in place. Since it was winter it took a while but came in mint condition. I used FedEx Auto Transport, the whole ramp drops to the ground, not just the back part, so the car is loaded onto a flat surface and raised level. They used thin ramps just to make sure for safety sake. As I recall, the driver told me the trailer alone was about $250K. I'd use them again in a second, shipping 2 years ago was $2400.

My car was also shipped with the splitter on and was not damaged. They come off rather easy, around a dozen or so screws, if I remember correctly. I swapped mine out for GT500 one for driving around town but will probably put it back on since SPP has them on sale for $750 I stead of the regular $3k.

Definitely take it off! Very easy to remove! There are approximately 10 bolts holding it up. I just went underneath the car and there are two sizes. This is odd, but these are the two sizes that work. One is a 10mm bolt and the other is a 7/32 bolt. The 7/32 may be a metric size, but my metrics are either too small or too big.

Gary is right on! Also Fia cobra I believe took his off for transport. Not hard at all to remove . Lay on your back remove twelve small bolts and 4 phillips screws and you are done. 15 mins tops. It will add peace of mind because they while not crazy low they are not hard to scrape.

Gary is right on! Also Fia cobra I believe took his off for transport. Not hard at all to remove . Lay on your back remove twelve small bolts and 4 phillips screws and you are done. 15 mins tops. It will add peace of mind because they while not crazy low they are not hard to scrape.

As soon as I bought my KR I took mine off too, and put on a stock GT500 splitter which I consider Sacraficial just like the zinc anodes on my boat's outdrive. I have scraped my splitter numerous times and am glad my CF is sitting in the box the sacraficial splitter came in. It is very tempting to buy the extra though.

Yes, eagledriver is correct. I took mine off several times. Only takes 15 minutes or so to remove the dozen bolts/screws.

I use a plastic splitter from the GT-500 for daily driving. It's a part your local dealer can get for you for $90 or so. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Archived