TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chartis - Barret Jackson Insurance

shelbypt

When I bought my KR two years ago, I got the Barret Jackson apporved Insurance through Chartis. My rate increased from $476 to $880 per year. What are you guys seeing with your insurance??? Of course no claims have been made too.

Thanks,

When I bought my KR two years ago, I got the Barret Jackson apporved Insurance through Chartis. My rate increased from $476 to $880 per year. What are you guys seeing with your insurance??? Of course no claims have been made too.

Thanks,

Gary,

Yep, this is about right. There is a thread in the general TS forum about this from a few months ago. Basically the .40ish cents per 100K rate was a loass leader to get people signed up and now that they have a full roster the rates are increasing to the new .80ish cents per 100K. It's really a crappy thing to do and some suggestions have been made on that thread on where to switch to. The days of cheap insurance for the KRs are over :(

A bit different here for me in Canada. My KR cost me around $250 per year. In fact, my 3 cars (KR, 07 GT500 and daily driver Audi S4) cost me slightly less than $1,000 per year, with the Audi accounting for about half of the total, due to its much higer annual mileage.

You're doing good if you get the 0.80 rate (and it's per $100) on a newer car. My Cobra was at the .40 rate and renewed at that rate. I just added the Ford GT and the rate on it is 1.00/100. It's still cheaper than anyone else as it includes the collision /comp plus required liability.

You're doing good if you get the 0.80 rate (and it's per $100) on a newer car. My Cobra was at the .40 rate and renewed at that rate. I just added the Ford GT and the rate on it is 1.00/100. It's still cheaper than anyone else as it includes the collision /comp plus required liability.

Yep, my mistake got carried away with zeroes.

I pay 785/year for the Shelby alone with USAA. I have 2 additional cars that are on the policy.

I pay 785/year for the Shelby alone with USAA. I have 2 additional cars that are on the policy.

USAA IS TERRIBLE ON THESE CARS. THEY WANTED 700 FOR MY COBRA AND I GOT IT AT ALLSTATE FOR 400. MY HOUSE INSURANCE WENT FROM 450 TO 950 AND I QUIT AND WENT WITH ALLSTATE. AFTER ALMOST 50 YEARS WITH USAA, THEY LOST ;ME AS A CUSTOMER.

USAA IS TERRIBLE ON THESE CARS. THEY WANTED 700 FOR MY COBRA AND I GOT IT AT ALLSTATE FOR 400. MY HOUSE INSURANCE WENT FROM 450 TO 950 AND I QUIT AND WENT WITH ALLSTATE. AFTER ALMOST 50 YEARS WITH USAA, THEY LOST ;ME AS A CUSTOMER.

I think I will check out all state. I'm paying 7000 for two cars and the house.

I will check with Allstate as well. We used to have them when I was stationed in Va. Beach. Feel like I'm paying a lot based on a clean history.

In a conversation with the folks at TDC (formerly Delp) it sounded like Chartis wanted to get back more into the real collector cars and cull out the high risk "modern" high performance cars (which are not really collector cars). My Cobra was at the .40/100 rate as were the Shelby GTs when I had them - the rates for multiple vehicles are really good. If I had kept the Cobra it would have been at .40 (it's "old") and the GT would have been at .60. I told them the Cobra was going away and then the GT became 1.00/100. That's still about $400 less per year than others.

Additionally, everyone says that BJ/Chartis limits miles. They do not. They assume that since it is not a primary vehicle that it is used for "casual" use - not daily commuting, etc. (and they want to be sure you have a daily driver.) Their expectations are <5000 mi/year but don't check anything. You probably don't want to be in an accident with the car full of groceries though. Simply put, they said they would have no issues with a pleasure trip to Vegas and back (1600 miles). That was the case with the SGT is so now with the FGT.

A bit different here for me in Canada. My KR cost me around $250 per year. In fact, my 3 cars (KR, 07 GT500 and daily driver Audi S4) cost me slightly less than $1,000 per year, with the Audi accounting for about half of the total, due to its much higer annual mileage.

It must only be different in Quebec. My GT500 cost me 1k a year, and the Boss LS cost me $960. I cannot believe you can get coverage for a KR for only $250!!??

It must only be different in Quebec. My GT500 cost me 1k a year, and the Boss LS cost me $960. I cannot believe you can get coverage for a KR for only $250!!??

Yes I do. I was actually quite surprised myself. I expected aroud $500. However there are several factors that helped lower the premium, according the the person I spoke to at the insurance company. I do not drive the car for work and plan to drive the car no more than 5000km par year; I have 3 cars on the same policy with no other drivers (which entitles me to an additional rebate under that company's fee structure), and I have made no claims over the past 20 years.

I must point out however that Quebec is a no fault jurisdiction, where insurance coverage is limited to car damage and liability for material damage to third party property. The govenrment takes care of indemnification as far as physical injuries are concerned; the cost for that is built in the fees for car registration and driver's license. There is a surcharge for cars with bigger displacement engines (over 3,0 liters). My Shelbys cost me roughly $500 each to register on an annual basis. My Audi, which is not subject to the surcharge, cost me $255.

Archived