TEAM SHELBY FORUM

V6 to look like a GT

solidh2o

Hey all,

I haven't posted here before I dont' think, but it seems like a pretty knowledgable crowd here. I've been back and forth on getting a new pony for a while, but I just cant' seem to justify it to myself. For the most part the V6 is enough for me, but every time I see the GT's on the road, the front end just is so sexy.

So my biggest question is How hard would it be to either 1) put the fog lights on or 2) replace the whole front end body panel with the GT Panel? Is this somehting I could do myself, or would it be a shop only deal? I know my way around the garage, but I don't have a huge toolset as I just moved into our first house about a year ago.

Also, I know that it won't sound as good as the GT, but if I decided to go w/ the V6, what reccomendations would you make for the exhaust to maximize performance. A good sound is good, but not the highest on my prority. I plan on(over the next couple years) putting 5K or so into it as I get spare cash, but having the additional monthly overhead as a requirement dons't make much sense to me right now.

Thanks Guys!

Hey all,

I haven't posted here before I dont' think, but it seems like a pretty knowledgable crowd here. I've been back and forth on getting a new pony for a while, but I just cant' seem to justify it to myself. For the most part the V6 is enough for me, but every time I see the GT's on the road, the front end just is so sexy.

So my biggest question is How hard would it be to either 1) put the fog lights on or 2) replace the whole front end body panel with the GT Panel? Is this somehting I could do myself, or would it be a shop only deal? I know my way around the garage, but I don't have a huge toolset as I just moved into our first house about a year ago.

Also, I know that it won't sound as good as the GT, but if I decided to go w/ the V6, what reccomendations would you make for the exhaust to maximize performance. A good sound is good, but not the highest on my prority. I plan on(over the next couple years) putting 5K or so into it as I get spare cash, but having the additional monthly overhead as a requirement dons't make much sense to me right now.

Thanks Guys!

Let me be the first to say welcome to the site Solid!!!

As far as making a V6 look like a GT, it's actually a very popular mod. Check out this site, www.newtakeoff.com

They are a vendor on this site and actually sell kits to make a V6 look like a GT. You could order them in your body color or get them painted.

GT Front appearance package

GT Rear appearance package

Personally I'd have a body shop install them but it can be done if you know what your doing.

Hope this helps!!!!

Hey all,

Thanks Guys!

1) You can buy a GT front grille and foglamps for a V6. It's a kit. You can't just swap the lamps / grill with GT takeoffs - the v6 grill is narrower. You don't have to swap the bumpers or any other part of the front end - just the grill. It's sold as a "do it yourself" bolt on. If you get the foglamps / pony pack on the v6 I believe there's a lot less wiring involved. (I highly recommend the pony pack, anyway).

2) For performance on a V6 putting on a single GT exhaust is nearly as good as no exhaust at all. It's an easy upgrade, nets about 10hp.

3) CAI & Tune gets you another 10 or so, for around $500.

The v6 is a great car for the price. Still lots of fun, looks great, and a reasonable daily driver. You'll enjoy it.

- Tony

Welcome to our "family" here!

This isn't the largest forum on the net - but it's the friendliest one (well - at least until you have 10 posts - then we can unload on you!). :hysterical2:

Interesting. You want to make a V6 look like a GT - and I've done my best to make my GT look like a V6!

Hang around. We have good people here.

Ruf

post-4913-1175462055_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1175462055_thumb.jpg

Welcome to our "family" here!

This isn't the largest forum on the net - but it's the friendliest one (well - at least until you have 10 posts - then we can unload on you!). :hysterical2:

Interesting. You want to make a V6 look like a GT - and I've done my best to make my GT look like a V6!

Hang around. We have good people here.

Ruf

Ruf, the Rufstang looks awesome with those black rims and those louvers.

Fantastic.

- Tony

Sorry for the hijack, Solid!

Tony - thanks, man. The Stripe is going back on - but modified a bit.

I snagged a Top Fifty trophy at a car show yesterday. The show had 170 entries.

Felt good.

Chin spoiler is inbound.

Solid - keep us updated on what you decide on, you hear?

Ruf

post-4913-1175462812_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1175462812_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to an entire GT package from Saleen. They take them off at the plant and replace with their own stuff. Comes with the GT front-end including fogs, GT rear section, side skirts, dual exhaust and 17" tires and wheels all for $1199. Best thing is you get to choose your color, so you shouldn't be out any money on paint.

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...=99-xxxx-Cxxxx1

Here's a link to an entire GT package from Saleen. They take them off at the plant and replace with their own stuff. Comes with the GT front-end including fogs, GT rear section, side skirts, dual exhaust and 17" tires and wheels all for $1199. Best thing is you get to choose your color, so you shouldn't be out any money on paint.

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...=99-xxxx-Cxxxx1

Saleen also sells the GT front brake takeoffs cheap - an easy upgrade over the v6 front brakes. (Rears are the same).

- Tony

When the new body style came out ... lots of V6 owners had the same idea . OEM parts though wouldnt fit. We ordered a GT grill and it was slightly off for the V6

Think ford did this on purpose. Now with this said ... this was about 2 years ago .. and we figured someone would come out with a kit that would work .. obviously this has already happened.

Cost difference is significant .... about $6000 difference +/-

When the new body style came out ... lots of V6 owners had the same idea . OEM parts though wouldnt fit. We ordered a GT grill and it was slightly off for the V6

Think ford did this on purpose. Now with this said ... this was about 2 years ago .. and we figured someone would come out with a kit that would work .. obviously this has already happened.

Cost difference is significant .... about $6000 difference +/-

And then, down the road, you can always look at one of these... http://explorerexpresscom.nationprotect.ne...products_id=707

I do wish I could get a GT/CS or Shelby GT rear bumper in alloy.... love the look of those. A GT takeoff will do, though.

- Tony

You could buy a Shelby CS6. Good looking and has 300+ H.P. too. Check their website for details.

You could buy a Shelby CS6. Good looking and has 300+ H.P. too. Check their website for details.

A very nice kit, but pricey. $15k + shipping and labor.

Just read through the details of an install for it earlier today, though. Very sweet.

- Tony

Love the avatar, Tony!

"It's got cop tires - cop brakes - a 440 Plant...is it the new Bluesmobile?"

"'Fix the cigarette lighter."

Just watched it again last night with my wife. What a great movie.

If you haven't seen it, the "Stories behind the blues brothers" segment on the collector's edition is great. Definitely worth watching.

Years ago I did a "blues brothers tour of Chicago"... need to find a map online, and do that again.

- Tony

Archived