TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best New Feature

Madlock

I'm personally thrilled at how Ford seems to have been VERY deliberate in the changes they made - offering GT and V6 the kinds of cosmetic freshening they needed, but not denying them terrific new items that add even MORE value for that segment's owners - like SelectShift automatics and the Performance Computer.

People make the mistake of thinking Mustang's success is judged ONLY relative to Camaro sales - when NOTHING could be less true.

Ford is DELIBERATELY leaving business on the table to keep itself of the right side of the demand curve and ONLY doing business it can do most profitably. Remember, Detroit imploded selling nearly 40% MORE cars than they make BILLIONS selling today.

Furthermore, Ford deliberately pulled V6 engines from Mustang to give them to F-150 and sell more $35K trucks than the cheapest version of the Mustang - a decidedly brilliant move in ALL respects. Camaro also lacks (prior to ZL1) the kind of huge-margin monster Ford has in GT500 which it deliberately sells at limited volumes.

Yes, everybody at Ford would love Mustang to outsell Camaro - and Camaro's Transformers look appeals to those who don't realize what they do and don't want (automatics in the ZL1 and lack of navigation make that clear). There's also more business to be won, but it's not worth winning if it COSTS rather than MAKES money, which makes the kinds of purposeful improvements so sensible.

It's why GT500's specific improvements were all about power and handling - and not allowing BOSS to offer what GT500 doesn't (Torsen/Launch) to preserve its product hierarchy's integrity. Few are likely to buy (or not) a GT500 because of color or cupholdet alone.

Ford's not only proving itself to make terrific cars, it's proving itself to be a terrific car maker - even IF GT500 doesn't get full power and heated seats and a backup camera.

However, I DO wish Ford would offer - AT LEAST through Ford Racing, the one option it lacks most - transparent vinyl cling stickers with a head-on picture of a brand new ZL1 to stick to the side and rearview mirrors to help owners become accustomed to what they'll be seeing.

I'm personally thrilled at how Ford seems to have been VERY deliberate in the changes they made - offering GT and V6 the kinds of cosmetic freshening they needed, but not denying them terrific new items that add even MORE value for that segment's owners - like SelectShift automatics and the Performance Computer.

People make the mistake of thinking Mustang's success is judged ONLY relative to Camaro sales - when NOTHING could be less true.

Ford is DELIBERATELY leaving business on the table to keep itself of the right side of the demand curve and ONLY doing business it can do most profitably. Remember, Detroit imploded selling nearly 40% MORE cars than they make BILLIONS selling today.

Furthermore, Ford deliberately pulled V6 engines from Mustang to give them to F-150 and sell more $35K trucks than the cheapest version of the Mustang - a decidedly brilliant move in ALL respects. Camaro also lacks (prior to ZL1) the kind of huge-margin monster Ford has in GT500 which it deliberately sells at limited volumes.

Yes, everybody at Ford would love Mustang to outsell Camaro - and Camaro's Transformers look appeals to those who don't realize what they do and don't want (automatics in the ZL1 and lack of navigation make that clear). There's also more business to be won, but it's not worth winning if it COSTS rather than MAKES money, which makes the kinds of purposeful improvements so sensible.

It's why GT500's specific improvements were all about power and handling - and not allowing BOSS to offer what GT500 doesn't (Torsen/Launch) to preserve its product hierarchy's integrity. Few are likely to buy (or not) a GT500 because of color or cupholdet alone.

Ford's not only proving itself to make terrific cars, it's proving itself to be a terrific car maker - even IF GT500 doesn't get full power and heated seats and a backup camera.

However, I DO wish Ford would offer - AT LEAST through Ford Racing, the one option it lacks most - transparent vinyl cling stickers with a head-on picture of a brand new ZL1 to stick to the side and rearview mirrors to help owners become accustomed to what they'll be seeing.

Do we know now or is it speculation that the GT500 will not get heated seats and a rear view camera

Do we know now or is it speculation that the GT500 will not get heated seats and a rear view camera

All the pictures I've seen of a GT500 rear end show it with the current spoiler and *no* camera. The Mustang does show a rear view cam and I would assume if the GT500 were going to have one, they'd be showing it in pics.

The heated seats, I can't comment on. I have yet to see a pic of the lower radio and even if it *does* show buttons, they showed them on previous MY GT500's that never made it to producton with heated seats.

My guess is, "no" on both counts.

Phill

Archived