TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Introduction

Staff

Will it be seriously a 5,8-liter V8 paired with the 2.3L TVS or is this a clerical error and the 5.4-liter V8 will be ventilate from the 2.3 TVS?!

Nope, it's a 5.8 Liter (351 cubic inches) engine with a 2300 series TVS.

They keep saying it's a "New TVS" and the case does look a little different in that the ribs aren't all "V" shaped like the FRPP 2.3L TVS is (aside from the color).

Roush calls his TVS a R2300 series TVS and I'm pretty sure the FRPP unit is Roush's design. Just FWIW, Roush *is* Ford Racing's R&D.

I'm puzzled in that a 2010 GT500 with a 5.4L engine and a 2.3L TVS produces 660HP with a 50=State legal tune from Ford Racing. I'm ASSUMING that Ford took a larger displacement engine, put a 2.3L TVS on it and brought the boost down to get less HP than the Ford Racing unit produces for Warranty reasons.

There are two ways to make Torque (and HP is a product of Torque X RPM). Displacement and Compression, so the lager displacement engine (i.e. Displacement) with a 2.3L TVS (i.e. Compression) *should* make more power than a smaller displacement engine with the same size SC on it, provided the amount of boost (Compression0 is equal.

Or Ford is just playing with numbers and under-rated the engine at 650HP.

Phill

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, it's a 5.8 Liter (351 cubic inches) engine with a 2300 series TVS.

They keep saying it's a "New TVS" and the case does look a little different in that the ribs aren't all "V" shaped like the FRPP 2.3L TVS is (aside from the color).

Roush calls his TVS a R2300 series TVS and I'm pretty sure the FRPP unit is Roush's design. Just FWIW, Roush *is* Ford Racing's R&D.

I'm puzzled in that a 2010 GT500 with a 5.4L engine and a 2.3L TVS produces 660HP with a 50=State legal tune from Ford Racing. I'm ASSUMING that Ford took a larger displacement engine, put a 2.3L TVS on it and brought the boost down to get less HP than the Ford Racing unit produces for Warranty reasons.

There are two ways to make Torque (and HP is a product of Torque X RPM). Displacement and Compression, so the lager displacement engine (i.e. Displacement) with a 2.3L TVS (i.e. Compression) *should* make more power than a smaller displacement engine with the same size SC on it, provided the amount of boost (Compression0 is equal.

Or Ford is just playing with numbers and under-rated the engine at 650HP.

Phill

I was thinking the same thing Phill. I'm thinking there is quite a bit more than 650 available really easy with very few tweaks. It's going to be a monster for sure.

I just called my dealer and told him that I need to trade my Shelby if this car is in my future. He said that Ford is going to be offering current Shelby owners an extra rebate to trade. :worship:

I'm calling BS on this one. Not that you are lying but I highly doubt Ford is going to give current GT500 owners additional trade money.

I've never been to a Camaro forum, but after reading your post, I googled camaro forums, and found camaro5.com, .....lmfao, a number of the Bowtie lovers comment, the ZL-1 is dead before is has even arrived... :hysterical:

The are heaping props on the Shelby!

Same here, I came it across just simply reading the release about the ZL1 specs yesterday and found the comments to be very entertaining. I'm not a camaro guy, but sure am happy GM built that car. It has pushed Ford to deliver a incredible piece of machinery.

Jim

I'm calling BS on this one. Not that you are lying but I highly doubt Ford is going to give current GT500 owners additional trade money.

My dealer got tears in his eyes when I ask about this ^ (from laughing) !:hysterical2:

Anyone know when they will be out for delivery? I know orders start in early DEC. and really want one, sorry scratch that (AM GETTING ONE)!!!!!!!!!! BUt really need colors and prices. My dealership marks up prices, so i will have to go out of town for a DECENT deal. Hell the dealership still has 2012"s marked up 2k over sticker and BOSSes 5k over sticker. Any one in SAN ANTONIO,TX. know if the dealerships there are a good deal?

I had a sit down with the wife about this vehicle and it came down to her or the car. Do I have to tell you which one was picked !!! Now if she brings up my dog that may be a problem !!!:hysterical: But this is a dream come true ford has finally brang out the big guns !! I feel for the weak and the poor street pavement at every traffic light and stop sign. The blood from are beast will be left as a mark that we own Chevys A$$ :worship:

Anyone know when they will be out for delivery? I know orders start in early DEC. and really want one, sorry scratch that (AM GETTING ONE)!!!!!!!!!! BUt really need colors and prices. My dealership marks up prices, so i will have to go out of town for a DECENT deal. Hell the dealership still has 2012"s marked up 2k over sticker and BOSSes 5k over sticker. Any one in SAN ANTONIO,TX. know if the dealerships there are a good deal?

It sucks you have one of those dealers with a GM that likes to look at the same Mustangs all day!

As someone who just bought a 2012 Vert I am also going through the "should I have waited?" syndrom. I love my car but I keep thinking back to the '60's when the same scenario was going on. Every year seemed like a bigger, badder Mustang was coming out. Eventually it ended and the lucky few who got in at the end had a Boss 429. That doesn't detract from the guy with the '67 GT500, who still has an awesome car. When I purchased this car I started by looking at used '07-09's. Noticed the updates on the '10 and started looking at those. Saw the further updates to the '11 and decided I should get one of those. Ended up with a '12 due to color choice. I ended up paying $14k over what I had originally budgeted as well. I could have waited for the '13 but at some point you have to pull the trigger and quit waiting for the next big thing. Not to mention I paid $500 over invoice for it which I doubt many if any will get on a '13. It's much better to drive what we have and enjoy it than sit and wait for the end all be all before they go away due to emissions, economy, or whatever it will be. All those guys with the '07-09's were enjoying their cars while I was driving a GT trying to save up cash to get a Shelby period.

Now if you're one of the lucky few who can get out and get a '13, sounds like an awesome car. Of course Ford and Chevy forgot this isn't Germany and there is no place to actually drive the car at it's limit anyway without some jail time. Even with my '12 I've yet to find a road in the congested New England area I live where I can actually use the car to it's potential. For now I will be happy to drive what I have and when the time comes will upgrade to the latest and greatest. Not sure how you can get better than a 200mph Mustang with 650hp and 600ft/lb Tq from the factory for what sounds like $60k, but the 2015 will be either the pincacle, or a twin turbo V6 ecoboost hybrid and the end of the era.

As someone who just bought a 2012 Vert I am also going through the "should I have waited?" syndrom. I love my car but I keep thinking back to the '60's when the same scenario was going on. Every year seemed like a bigger, badder Mustang was coming out. Eventually it ended and the lucky few who got in at the end had a Boss 429. That doesn't detract from the guy with the '67 GT500, who still has an awesome car. When I purchased this car I started by looking at used '07-09's. Noticed the updates on the '10 and started looking at those. Saw the further updates to the '11 and decided I should get one of those. Ended up with a '12 due to color choice. I ended up paying $14k over what I had originally budgeted as well. I could have waited for the '13 but at some point you have to pull the trigger and quit waiting for the next big thing. Not to mention I paid $500 over invoice for it which I doubt many if any will get on a '13. It's much better to drive what we have and enjoy it than sit and wait for the end all be all before they go away due to emissions, economy, or whatever it will be. All those guys with the '07-09's were enjoying their cars while I was driving a GT trying to save up cash to get a Shelby period.

Now if you're one of the lucky few who can get out and get a '13, sounds like an awesome car. Of course Ford and Chevy forgot this isn't Germany and there is no place to actually drive the car at it's limit anyway without some jail time. Even with my '12 I've yet to find a road in the congested New England area I live where I can actually use the car to it's potential. For now I will be happy to drive what I have and when the time comes will upgrade to the latest and greatest. Not sure how you can get better than a 200mph Mustang with 650hp and 600ft/lb Tq from the factory for what sounds like $60k, but the 2015 will be either the pincacle, or a twin turbo V6 ecoboost hybrid and the end of the era.

GREAT POST, as I read it, it makes me think of what I have been thru in the past as well!

I finally put my hands on a MUSTANG GT for the first time in my life, whereas in the early 80's I professionally raced against MACH 1's with our tuned Chevrolet OPALA 4.1 and 250s back in Brazil, I just loved them all, but was never able to find and buy a nice Mustang back home.

Now I am here for the past 24 years and BOUGHT my GT last year, spend quite a bit in mods, made it beat any Cobras and Shelby's up to the year 2010 and had a lot of fun with it and sold it just a few days ago! with a great loss, but still better than what dealers wanted to pay for it!

Now the wait starts, no MUSTANG, just my other daily driver until I can actually put my hands in my first SHELBY, which happens to be a 2013.

You are completely right about ENJOY what you have now, tomorrow is another day, when possible, you go ahead and change it responsibly.

Take care,

safe ride

braztang (the mustangless)

Okay.....so I work midnights. Got off Tuesday morning late, ate some breakfast, and decided to look on Autoblog real quick. Saw the '13 and almost SHAT MY PANTS!!! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my car and the modsI have done to it to make it unique. And its a fair weather car, not a daily driver. I've had 6 Mustangs before, and my last was an '01 Cobra.- so this one is a huge difference . And I always have a big shit-eating grin everytime I drive it. But man did they really do their homework with this one - I love the back end, lack of plastic cladding, and of course the engine/suspension and packages that are offered. But maxed out, what are these gonna cost?

My wife isn't a car person - so as far as my Shelby?? Needless to say my wife is not fond of it..."you don't need that car". My response was "just remember, I need my dog, guns, etc. I don't NEED a wife, do I?" :happy feet: She enjoyed that comeback. So when she got home from work Tuesday, I told her "Take a guess about the 2013 Shelby" and she replied "650 HP!!" Well someone at work told her about it and that I would be looking at it! So I have been telling her maybe I should sell the Shelby, and she says its a good idea - clearly not getting that I would be thinking about a '13.

But here's the problem. Like we all know, there is always going to be a bigger and badder version in the future (at least we hope for awhile). While I love the huge improvements that have been done, is it worth taking a bath for probably 10-15K for them? Let alone spending what I have to figure is gonna be around $65K for a fully loaded one?? It was nice dropping a good chunk for my downpayment on my '10 - but that will be down the crapper if I unload the car after 2 years. And what happens when the total redesign comes in 2 years.......possibly back to just an SVT Cobra or another generation of Shelbys. Smaller, lighter, and I'm sure even more improvements interior wise to say the least. At some point you have to be content with what you got - at least content enough just to do you mods and not get rid of it every year. Right now, though, I just can't seem to decide. I started to post my car on Ebay for sale, but then started thinking I dont want to be doing this in another 3 years again. AAAAAAGHHHHHHH damnit FORD!!!!!!!!

Most have already built their cars to be as good or better than the new one. No need for more when most won't use what they already have.

Okay.....so I work midnights. Got off Tuesday morning late, ate some breakfast, and decided to look on Autoblog real quick. Saw the '13 and almost SHAT MY PANTS!!! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my car and the modsI have done to it to make it unique. And its a fair weather car, not a daily driver. I've had 6 Mustangs before, and my last was an '01 Cobra.- so this one is a huge difference . And I always have a big shit-eating grin everytime I drive it. But man did they really do their homework with this one - I love the back end, lack of plastic cladding, and of course the engine/suspension and packages that are offered. But maxed out, what are these gonna cost?

My wife isn't a car person - so as far as my Shelby?? Needless to say my wife is not fond of it..."you don't need that car". My response was "just remember, I need my dog, guns, etc. I don't NEED a wife, do I?" :happy feet: She enjoyed that comeback. So when she got home from work Tuesday, I told her "Take a guess about the 2013 Shelby" and she replied "650 HP!!" Well someone at work told her about it and that I would be looking at it! So I have been telling her maybe I should sell the Shelby, and she says its a good idea - clearly not getting that I would be thinking about a '13.

But here's the problem. Like we all know, there is always going to be a bigger and badder version in the future (at least we hope for awhile). While I love the huge improvements that have been done, is it worth taking a bath for probably 10-15K for them? Let alone spending what I have to figure is gonna be around $65K for a fully loaded one?? It was nice dropping a good chunk for my downpayment on my '10 - but that will be down the crapper if I unload the car after 2 years. And what happens when the total redesign comes in 2 years.......possibly back to just an SVT Cobra or another generation of Shelbys. Smaller, lighter, and I'm sure even more improvements interior wise to say the least. At some point you have to be content with what you got - at least content enough just to do you mods and not get rid of it every year. Right now, though, I just can't seem to decide. I started to post my car on Ebay for sale, but then started thinking I dont want to be doing this in another 3 years again. AAAAAAGHHHHHHH damnit FORD!!!!!!!!

I'm slowing beginning to pitch a tent in your camp. My car is for sale - now. But I'm starting to second guess my reasoning. Emotionally, I can't stand the fact that someone may have a better or faster car (the '13) than mine. But, if I get a '13, then I'm going to feel the same way as soon as the '14/'15 comes out. So, I'm beginning to think I'll keep mine, do some handling and engine mods (far cheaper than the bath I'll take on the first batch of '13's that comes out) and call it good until the new model come about.

I'm not worried about someone ELSE having the better/newer/faster......I'm just worried mine isn't it. But I really think it would be foolish to sell. Most of us will probably never use the full potential of the car, but that being said -- If I didnt have a Shelby at all, then absolutely I would get one. But having such a new one thats modded and still has a ton of potential?? I think it would be wise not to jump ship so soon.........again -- if Ford did this much for a mild refresh, just imagine what they already have up their sleeve for the 2015 model! It certainly won't be slower, less refined and less performance oriented. They are outdoing themselves year after year - Now if I win the lottery, .....................................................

I'm not worried about someone ELSE having the better/newer/faster......I'm just worried mine isn't it. But I really think it would be foolish to sell. Most of us will probably never use the full potential of the car, but that being said -- If I didnt have a Shelby at all, then absolutely I would get one. But having such a new one thats modded and still has a ton of potential?? I think it would be wise not to jump ship so soon.........again -- if Ford did this much for a mild refresh, just imagine what they already have up their sleeve for the 2015 model! It certainly won't be slower, less refined and less performance oriented. They are outdoing themselves year after year - Now if I win the lottery, .....................................................

What about the '14 model? As far as I know there will still be another model year of the S197 to go before the all new one. I'm thinking they will make some further changes to that seeing as it will be the last one. As I said in another post I keep going back and forth on this. I already have a '12, and I'd hate to buy a '13 only to find out the '14 is even better still. I think I'm going to hold off another year and just enjoy what I have. The shock of the '13 is starting to wear off and I'm beginning to see sense. The new Boss 302 is looking pretty good too though.

Colin

What about the '14 model? As far as I know there will still be another model year of the S197 to go before the all new one. I'm thinking they will make some further changes to that seeing as it will be the last one. As I said in another post I keep going back and forth on this. I already have a '12, and I'd hate to buy a '13 only to find out the '14 is even better still. I think I'm going to hold off another year and just enjoy what I have. The shock of the '13 is starting to wear off and I'm beginning to see sense. The new Boss 302 is looking pretty good too though.

Colin

Totally agree.....I think I have a bit too much time/$$$ invested to take such a hit.....knowing that theres even more in store in 2 years. And also according to the Ford website:

SVT Performance Package

3.31 axle with TORSEN differential, unique wheels, R-Compound tires, Bilstein adjustable dampers, unique springs, unique interior touches, front fascia dive planes

SVT Track Pack

External oil cooler, transmission cooler pump, differential cooler, fog lamp delete, brake cooling ducts

R-compound tires are nice, but I wonder what the "unique interior touches" are.......and I don't like the idea of fog lamp delete

Archived