TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here’s my prediction for the GT500KR

This is capitalist country were supply and demand sets the price, so the GT500KR can go for any price. In a global economy including now China there are many more billionaires and super rich car collectors in the world that can buy this car at sky is the limit price. So my point for those of us Mustang fans, seeing one at an auto show will be a privilege.

Looks to me that Ford is going into a specialty car manufacturer, but they will never come close to the Italian exotic car manufacturers. Sadly they may not exist 10 years from know if they adopt such manufacturing model.

Good thing that the CEO is into planes and not cars, there will be one more KR for a true car collector! :shift:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave,

Reading your reply to my post, I realize that my initial post may have sounded like I didn't really like the new KR, which is far from the truth. I like this site a lot and like to express my opinion to other Mustang enthisiasts like me, but you see, English is not my first language. I grew up in a part of Canada where over 80% of the population use French as their first language, including me. I tried to learn English the best I can, but I'm far from perfect. Because of that, my choice of words may not always be the best, but I certainly didn't mean to bash the KR. My reaction was in relation to the initial post of this topic, where ColdwaterHotRod predicted that the car would go for 175K plus. If this prediction materializes, that means almost triple the current market value of a regular GT500. Respectfully, with what we currently know about the KR, I do not see any rational justification for a market price gap this huge between the KR and the regular GT500, other than a potentially greater value as a collector's item, due to exclusivity.

To answer your points specifically, you are right that my judgement is based at least in part on the fact that the car is supposed to be 540HP. I know this is only an estimate and that the initial estimate for the regular GT500 was conservative, but still, 540HP is currently the number provided by Ford. If indeed the rating is 600HP, which is totally possible, I still think 175K would be quite high, but somewhere in the 90-110K range could be justified by the power output and exclusivity (there are not a lot of 600HP cars with a 1,000 units production run in that price range).

As far as the "stiffer suspension" is concerned, I now realize that my choice of words may not have been the best; "firmer" might have been a more appropriate word. I did not mean it to be negative. My daily driver is an Audi S4, and I chose it over a regular A4 in no small part because of the "stiffer" suspension, and resulting cornering improvement.

Finally, on a lighter note, we had one of our first nice days of the spring here in Quebec City, which means my first extensive drive of the Shelby. :happy feet: One of the bad sides of living here is our VERY, VERY long and snowy winter. So even though I have had the car parked in the garage for almost a month, the weather would not cooperate. Now that I have driven it for awhile the only thing I can say is WOW! I knew it would be fast but what surprised me is how refined it feels. This is an amazing car and worth every penny. I'm sure the KR will be an amazing car also.

Eric

Hey, Eric -- nice post! I'm sort of on the same wavelength on the prices the KR will likely 'average'. I'm also wondering if the new Eaton TVS hi-helix blower isn't going to be the KR's secret weapon -- I don't expect it to be on the NYIAS KR, but my gut just tells me this is where that S/C is headed -- 600HP without a pulley, no heat-soak, and the potential for much more make it an ideal choice for some real differentiation for the KR -- just a hunch but so compelling, imo.

Did you ever think you'd see this day come 'round again ? How cool is this????!

-Dan

Hey, Eric -- nice post! I'm sort of on the same wavelength on the prices the KR will likely 'average'. I'm also wondering if the new Eaton TVS hi-helix blower isn't going to be the KR's secret weapon -- I don't expect it to be on the NYIAS KR, but my gut just tells me this is where that S/C is headed -- 600HP without a pulley, no heat-soak, and the potential for much more make it an ideal choice for some real differentiation for the KR -- just a hunch but so compelling, imo.

Did you ever think you'd see this day come 'round again ? How cool is this????!

-Dan

I think I just pissed my pants thinking about the potential of this.

HSURB

I think I just pissed my pants thinking about the potential of this.

HSURB

:):):) ...and it likely fits right under the tower brace ...and right up to the JLT CAI! ;)

I wrote to the Eaton TVS engineers with a list of questions -- they never responded ...probably can't until the unit is officially annc'd/available.

Once this happens look for the 2008 Shelby GT500KR to be untouchable for under 175K

I think that's possible, but unlikely. I think it's possible if this second muscle car era gets the same kind of hype behind it as "the Internets" did going into 2000. In 1967 there were 200 million Americans; now there are 300 million. Still only 1000 KRs. I don't know what 100K 2007 dollars are in 1967 dollars, but one thing is for sure: the top 1-5% of this country have exploded in wealth since the early 80s. There's plenty of play money out there to pay for 1000 $175K Shelbys. And most of that money was either learning to drive during that first era or just missed it.

OTOH, I think after the initial hysteria and ADMs stabilize, it will be more in the $100K range. I think a lot depends on what this does to the GT500 sales prices; I see it as about equal chance it pushes them up or down.

I agree with everyone here who wishes Ford would put something in between the GT and these halo cars, and build the heck out of it. I can see arguments for keeping demand so high, but the more money Ford leaves on the table the less likely they'll survive long enough to gain financial stability again.

I agree with everyone here who wishes Ford would put something in between the GT and these halo cars, and build the heck out of it. I can see arguments for keeping demand so high, but the more money Ford leaves on the table the less likely they'll survive long enough to gain financial stability again.

+1. Ford should realize that although they currently have monopoly on this market, it will be over soon. It is very likely that when the Challenger and Camaro hit the market, both will have an engine in the 400HP range. It seems obvious to me that initially, the top of the line Challenger will have the SRT8 425HP Hemi found in the Charger and the 300. As far as the Camaro is concerned, it wouldn't be surprising to see the regular 400HP Corvette engine under the hood as the top engine option. I do not see either of them launching a 500HP version initially. Just like Ford did with the GT500, they will save it for later in the production run.

If Ford waits until these 2 cars launch to get its own regular production 400HP version, it may loose some potential sales, as initially, these 2 new competitors will get lots of attention, as is always the case when a new/totally redesigned model hits the market. By getting this "mid-level" Mustang to the market now (or at least in the 2007 calendar year), Ford could get a lot of additional sales IMHO.

If I were Ford, what I would do is use the 69-70 strategy and launch 2 new models. A new Mach 1, with a naturally aspirated 375-400HP engine, as a full production (not limited edition) model, priced somewhere between a loaded GT and the Shelby GT. This would come as a nicely equipped car, with a suspension set up striking a good balance between ride and handling. Remember that in 69-70, the Mach 1 sold in high volumes using that same formula. At the time, the Mach 1 was not a limited edition car, contrary to the limited edition Mach 1 that they had a few years back. The other car I would bring to market is a Boss. This would be about the same price as the Mach 1 or slightly higher, with less standard creature comfort, hence less weight, a bit more horsepower (about 25 HP) and a revised suspension set up with more emphasis on all out handling. Along with the GT, Shelby GT, GT500 and GT500KR (not to mention the long rumored limited edition Bullit), this would make a nice stable of Mustangs.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 1 2007, 12:23 PM) 124006[/snapback]
I've had several customers contact me about getting a GT500KR already. I had one already offer $100K if we would guarantee that he gets one (heck, we don't even know if we'll get one! 1,000 cars for 4,000 dealers means some sort of lottery allocation within Ford).

The 1000 cars is NOT correct! No number has been decided yet.

Tim

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 1 2007, 12:23 PM) 124006[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had several customers contact me about getting a GT500KR already. I had one already offer $100K if we would guarantee that he gets one (heck, we don't even know if we'll get one! 1,000 cars for 4,000 dealers means some sort of lottery allocation within Ford).

The 1000 cars is NOT correct! No number has been decided yet.

Tim

Tim, are you hearing anything you can share on the TVS in the context of a production Ford?

-Dan

Dave,

Reading your reply to my post, I realize that my initial post may have sounded like I didn't really like the new KR, which is far from the truth. Eric

Eric, no problems here...but thanks for clarifying your position. I think your english is very good mind you...we all have times we could have chosen a better word. Heck, I got on a guy once for calling the seat inserts red rather than crimson. :hysterical2:

We just need to take a "wait and see" approach.

I do have one philosophical question.....I think I'll start a new thread for it with a poll.

Dave

+1. Ford should realize that although they currently have monopoly on this market, it will be over soon. It is very likely that when the Challenger and Camaro hit the market, both will have an engine in the 400HP range. It seems obvious to me that initially, the top of the line Challenger will have the SRT8 425HP Hemi found in the Charger and the 300. As far as the Camaro is concerned, it wouldn't be surprising to see the regular 400HP Corvette engine under the hood as the top engine option. I do not see either of them launching a 500HP version initially. Just like Ford did with the GT500, they will save it for later in the production run.

If Ford waits until these 2 cars launch to get its own regular production 400HP version, it may loose some potential sales, as initially, these 2 new competitors will get lots of attention, as is always the case when a new/totally redesigned model hits the market. By getting this "mid-level" Mustang to the market now (or at least in the 2007 calendar year), Ford could get a lot of additional sales IMHO.

If I were Ford, what I would do is use the 69-70 strategy and launch 2 new models. A new Mach 1, with a naturally aspirated 375-400HP engine, as a full production (not limited edition) model, priced somewhere between a loaded GT and the Shelby GT. This would come as a nicely equipped car, with a suspension set up striking a good balance between ride and handling. Remember that in 69-70, the Mach 1 sold in high volumes using that same formula. At the time, the Mach 1 was not a limited edition car, contrary to the limited edition Mach 1 that they had a few years back. The other car I would bring to market is a Boss. This would be about the same price as the Mach 1 or slightly higher, with less standard creature comfort, hence less weight, a bit more horsepower (about 25 HP) and a revised suspension set up with more emphasis on all out handling. Along with the GT, Shelby GT, GT500 and GT500KR (not to mention the long rumored limited edition Bullit), this would make a nice stable of Mustangs.

I agree with your comment about the Mach I....but I think it would need to be either slightly higher in power rating or much lower in weight than the GT500 to be desireable.

If Chevy releases the Camaro at ONLY 400 HP, I think that would be a mistake. They are already behind (a la 1967 Camaro) and although I don't have exact weight figures...just looking at the Camaro...it looks pretty heavy. Now maybe they would allow it to be sub-Mustang performance...but then it would only sell if it were priced below the Mustang. It's interesting....but there's this trade-off between performance and price that can be played.

Dave

• 5 months later...
Since they are not releasing this car until the spring of 2008, Ford & Carroll Shelby will once again auction off the rights to buy the first 2008 Shelby GT500KR #001 at the Barrett Jackson Auction in January 2008 & Ron Pratt will end up buying the car for MORE THAN 600K since only 1,000 are being made. Once this happens look for the 2008 Shelby GT500KR to be untouchable for under 175K

How about this Pratt will not out bid me.

If I win the lottery :hysterical:

I thought it was a good time to bring up my original prediction so another one doesn't get started

Coldy, how are you -- miss you in here!!

Well, I think the KR will be all over the place in actual sale price. I think may will go in the vicinity of $100K and I think some will go for upward of $150K, but I also think some number will go for $5-25K over MSRP. Why? Because there are folks who have written deals and, on this car, litigation will be the norm, imo, for the dealer who tries to reneg on a written deal. So, fwiw, prices all over the map is my guess. We shall see.

I personally think it would be crazy if Ford built all 1,000 of these (if that's the final agreed number) in a row, and then held them all just after assembly in a warehouse or shipping yard and then once production was completed for all they then shipped them out to seperate dealers, each getting 1, and let them all arrive at the dealer's the same time, with no "cool-down" time allowed... That would ensure way high ADM'S and a rage/wave of excitement on this car and almost every one of these would sell on "impulse" and "gotta have it now" nervs.

....that would be exciting.

Coldy, how are you -- miss you in here!!

Well, I think the KR will be all over the place in actual sale price. I think may will go in the vicinity of $100K and I think some will go for upward of $150K, but I also think some number will go for $5-25K over MSRP. Why? Because there are folks who have written deals and, on this car, litigation will be the norm, imo, for the dealer who tries to reneg on a written deal. So, fwiw, prices all over the map is my guess. We shall see.

If this car ends up going for $150K range I will also bet those that got a $5K - $25K over deal will be selling them for the quick profit they stand to make on one as well.

If this car ends up going for $150K range I will also bet those that got a $5K - $25K over deal will be selling them for the quick profit they stand to make on one as well.

That could very well be... I'd rather keep it and drive it! Can always sell it later, but I think many will want to keep this car -- I would not want to sell it. It's just too cool! ;)

That could very well be... I'd rather keep it and drive it! Can always sell it later, but I think many will want to keep this car -- I would not want to sell it. It's just too cool! ;)

If I was getting one I would certainly be driving it. If I wasn't going to drive it and just keep it I would sell it if I stood to make a $50K + profit on it.

I could invest that $50K and parlay that into 20 times (being REAL conservative here) what the value of the KR would be in 10, 20, 30 years!

If I was getting one I would certainly be driving it. If I wasn't going to drive it and just keep it I would sell it if I stood to make a $50K + profit on it.

I could invest that $50K and parlay that into 20 times (being REAL conservative here) what the value of the KR would be in 10, 20, 30 years!

Agree... in 30 years we'll probably be driving electric hybrids and gas will be a black-market item :hysterical: .. then again, I'll be pushing up daiseys :hysterical2:

Reminds me of Ted Knight as Judge Smells in Caddyshack. :hysterical2:

A Mustang? Here? At Bushwood? :hysterical2:

That's absolutely hilarious because I just rolled through mine with my new exhaust screaming on my GT500. Our assistant pro affectionately calls me Judge now after I aptly named a couple of our real life members "Judge Smails". They seriously could have played Ted Knight's part in the movie and it's enough to make you :banghead: I only belong there for business.....it's true a lot of deals get done on the golf course. However, I'd much rather be driving my Shelby than knocking that stupid white ball around. :shift:

I chuckle to myself when I pull in by the Bmers and Mercedes in my Shelby with the racing stripes et al and see these guys in their polo shirts give you that look like (damn I wish I had the b***s to drive that) instead of this lame luxury car.

btw, the look on "Smails wife's" face when I stomped on it leaving the joint was absolutely priceless. :hysterical2: Must have a little Rodney Dangerfield in me. "Hey you get a free bowl of soup with that hat? Oh, but it looks good on you Judge!" :hysterical:

I just wonder if any of these cars will get into the hands of "regular" wealthy people rather than the just Ford elite, dealers and superrich. I doubt you will ever see a KR just tooling around. Too dam bad. Maybe im overestimating the exclusivity of them , but 1000 cars doesnt seem like it will go far.

I guess thats what the SS is for, the everymans KR.

KC666

2008 GT500KR M.S.R.P. $58,000 INCL. SHELBY MOD'S FACT

You think it's"Fact" that SAI is willing and able to make peanuts on a car that dealers will make in excess of 40K each for 40 minutes of work? Because at 58K and SAI overhead, that's about what it amounts to. That's really nice of SAI.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As an FYI, we do this to show the new car and raise $$$ for charity.

Of the last 4 cars we auctioned off, 3 of them, the total went to Shelby's foundation. The last one, was actually split between Carroll and Edsel's foundations. This GT500KR is for Edsel's foundation. Carroll and Edsel are lifelong friends/family and Carroll wants to help Edsel's Charity as much as Ford help the Shelby Children's foundation.

Amy

Archived