TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here’s my prediction for the GT500KR

Since they are not releasing this car until the spring of 2008, Ford & Carroll Shelby will once again auction off the rights to buy the first 2008 Shelby GT500KR #001 at the Barrett Jackson Auction in January 2008 & Ron Pratt will end up buying the car for MORE THAN 600K since only 1,000 are being made. Once this happens look for the 2008 Shelby GT500KR to be untouchable for under 175K

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since they are not releasing this car until the spring of 2008, Ford & Carroll Shelby will once again auction off the rights to buy the first 2008 Shelby GT500KR #001 at the Barrett Jackson Auction in January 2008 & Ron Pratt will end up buying the car for MORE THAN 600K since only 1,000 are being made. Once this happens look for the 2008 Shelby GT500KR to be untouchable for under 175K

Well it's pretty much a given that Pratt is buying it. I think I'm going to go and bid it up to an astronomical price (knowing I can never afford it, but yet knowing I' won't have to), and then see how that drives up the sticker price :hysterical:

You're absolutely right.

Yep, your dead on with this!

KC666

I have a humbly question for you have they ditched the regular 08 Gt500 in favor of this limited KR or is this the next shelby variant to go along side the regular 08GT500? You are correct on what is going to go down on the price its going to be out of any sense of reason. You know if you are that hard core into having to have a "Shelby" you could buy a really nice original for the kind of money you are talking about.

I read a post somewhere else that really sums up this whole thing. The heart and soul of the mustang is bang for the buck performance and fun. By getting away from that you start losing what makes mustangs really special the fact you can afford to own them and modify them to your own tastes. Just my thoughts :D

I have a humbly question for you have they ditched the regular 08 Gt500 in favor of this limited KR or is this the next shelby variant to go along side the regular 08GT500? You are correct on what is going to go down on the price its going to be out of any sense of reason. You know if you are that hard core into having to have a "Shelby" you could buy a really nice original for the kind of money you are talking about.

I read a post somewhere else that really sums up this whole thing. The heart and soul of the mustang is bang for the buck performance and fun. By getting away from that you start losing what makes mustangs really special the fact you can afford to own them and modify them to your own tastes. Just my thoughts :D

The GT500KR does NOT affect the 08 GT500

Trust me, Ford is not going to scrap 9k - 10k cars to build only 1,000 of a different car.

"175K"............ that just totally outrageous, talk like that is going to just give the greedy more incentive to do just that. Everybody should just refuse that kind of price.Taking out a mortgage to buy a car is just crazy.And I'm in love with that KR but not for that kind of money just for 4 wheels and a motor held together with a pretty package.

(if your lucky enough to pay cash more power to you)

Your right on . Ron just bought the first HertZ G.T Vert for a mere $250,000 at the Barrett Jackson Auction.He will probably buy the first 08` Shelby.

If you followed the history of the GT40's when they came out again & considering they made about 4,038 cars over a 2 year time frame, the price I picked is not out of line when dealers were wanting 100k over sticker & I think this will be a $75k car MSRP. This is a one year production run of only 1,000 GT500KR's & the dealers will hold this car for several years if they have to, to get what they want to make up for slow sales on other products.

The GT500KR does NOT affect the 08 GT500

Trust me, Ford is not going to scrap 9k - 10k cars to build only 1,000 of a different car.

What do you want to bet that this 1000 GT500 KR's reduces the total amout of cars that us normal guys and gals can get our hands onto. So if we thought we would get 8K to 9K GT500's...think again. Subtract a grand from that total.

That in itself will fuel the ADM's on base GT500's

If you followed the history of the GT40's when they came out again & considering they made about 4,038 cars over a 2 year time frame, the price I picked is not out of line when dealers were wanting 100k over sticker & I think this will be a $75k car MSRP. This is a one year production run of only 1,000 GT500KR's & the dealers will hold this car for several years if they have to, to get what they want to make up for slow sales on other products.

Is your wife still getting one? :rolleyes:

What do you want to bet that this 1000 GT500 KR's reduces the total amout of cars that us normal guys and gals can get our hands onto. So if we thought we would get 8K to 9K GT500's...think again. Subtract a grand from that total.

That in itself will fuel the ADM's on base GT500's

Fule?

Funnel?

Full?

You must have fell off the wagon :hysterical2:

That in itself will fule the ADM's on base GT500's

Being a non-GT500 owner, this is my fear, that Ford takes the 1,000 units off of the aggregate number of GT500s. Not impossible. Hopefully, if they have been reading these threads (they have) and can accomplish it, they will keep the number of GT500s the same, and add the 1000 KRs to that number.

This should not be impossible as Ford's vendors (read: Tremec) capacity has been upped significantly with the opening of the new plant, and producing these cars would appear to be a minor disruption to the production of the 'run of the mill' (if you can call it that) GT500 At FoMoCo.

I suppose when the allocations are finally handed down to the dealers, we will know for sure. Great. Another cliff-hanger for me. Talk about PPSDS!!!!! :drop:

Estmated year two production: 10,000 units.

KR production cap: 1,000 units.

Total 2008 GT500 production: 9,000 units.

GT500KR production:

-------------------> 1,000

GT500 production:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 9,000

GT500KR production:

GT500 production:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 9,000

You're right.

BTW this has been a tough car for Ford to build. I chatted to Ralph at the plant a couple months ago about this, and it has not changed. All it takes is a hick up here and there and the production tanks. We have seen this happen many times this year.

GT500KR production:

GT500 production:

*Phew* E, you may have given me back nights that I can sleep again! THANK YOU!

I owe ya one...at least ;)

I also saw the auction on Speed today; I think that's a given that VIN no. 1 will be auctioned at Scottsdale next January and that Ron Pratt wil bid whatever it takes to get it. However, and although I think the KR will be very expensive, I'm not sure about 175K. If it reaches that level, that would mean that the vast majority if not all of the cars are going to end up in the ends of car collectors and that very few will see actual use on the road, which I find sad. I bought my GT500 because I wanted to DRIVE it.

Other than as an investment, I find it hard to understand that someone would pay over 100K MORE than a regular GT500 for 40 more HP, a stiffer suspension and a fancy hood (although I must admit this hood looks great). With that kind of money, one can easily do mods that will make a regular GT500 perform way better than the KR, and have enough money left to buy a VERY, VERY nice daily driver (or two).

As far as the effect of the KR on the regular GT500 pricing, I'm not too sure. On one hand, the 1000 KRs that will be produced will likely reduce the GT500's production output, which could keep demand high. However, the fact that the GT500 will no longer be the ultimate Mustang may well reduce the car's appeal in some peoples' eyes (not mine though). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

$175k for a 540hp Mustang... WOW!

A car is a car - "special" "limited edition" "kissed by CS himself"... whatever. Future price may or may not increase... dangerous gamble. More power to those who CAN afford it... I would choose not to.

All this stuff is getting out of hand... why can't Ford make a high HP car, in the qty's demanded, and maximize THEIR profits instead of limited editions so that DEALERS maximize theirs?

I also saw the auction on Speed today; I think that's a given that VIN no. 1 will be auctioned at Scottsdale next January and that Ron Pratt wil bid whatever it takes to get it. However, and although I think the KR will be very expensive, I'm not sure about 175K. If it reaches that level, that would mean that the vast majority if not all of the cars are going to end up in the ends of car collectors and that very few will see actual use on the road, which I find sad. I bought my GT500 because I wanted to DRIVE it.

Other than as an investment, I find it hard to understand that someone would pay over 100K MORE than a regular GT500 for 40 more HP, a stiffer suspension and a fancy hood (although I must admit this hood looks great). With that kind of money, one can easily do mods that will make a regular GT500 perform way better than the KR, and have enough money left to buy a VERY, VERY nice daily driver (or two).

As far as the effect of the KR on the regular GT500 pricing, I'm not too sure. On one hand, the 1000 KRs that will be produced will likely reduce the GT500's production output, which could keep demand high. However, the fact that the GT500 is will no longer be the ultimate Mustang may well reduce the car's appeal in some peoples' eyes (not mine though). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

First of all can you all say MARKETING 101...and rest easy, the value of having the first 40th anniversary Shelby GT-500 to be built in 40 years holds the real value...this was and is the beginning of the comeback of the Shelby Muscle Car...can't put a price on that. It's like having the 65 Mustang. I rest my case.

All this stuff is getting out of hand... why can't Ford make a high HP car, in the qty's demanded, and maximize THEIR profits instead of limited editions so that DEALERS maximize theirs?

Yeah! That's what I've been saying! I'm all for having some limited edition stuff to keep the interest high, but THROW US A BONE!!! Give us a 400hp Mach 1/Bullitt/Boss/GTX/Whatever that has an MSRP in the high 30's before options, make as many of them as are ordered, and MAKE A BUNCH OF MONEY. Oh yeah, and MAKE A BUNCH OF CUSTOMERS HAPPY WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!

It's happened before, people: 1969 Mach 1. So wildly popular that it drove the GT to extinction.

I know, I know: :beatdeadhorse:

As far as the effect of the KR on the regular GT500 pricing, I'm not too sure. On one hand, the 1000 KRs that will be produced will likely reduce the GT500's production output, which could keep demand high. However, the fact that the GT500 will no longer be the ultimate Mustang may well reduce the car's appeal in some peoples' eyes (not mine though). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The +40 HP is an initial estimate....if it ended up being 100 HP more would that change your mind?

In addition, you talk about the suspension as if it's a bad thing by saying "stiffer". Why not say "better cornering"?

You are right that we'll have to "wait and see". :hysterical:

Ford & Carroll Shelby will once again auction off the rights to buy the first 2008 Shelby GT500KR #001 at the Barrett Jackson Auction in January 2008

I can see this happening, for sure

look for the 2008 Shelby GT500KR to be untouchable for under 175K

$175k - won't be the norm. Only diehard, gotta have it first day, take it to my country club types will consider buying at this price.

$175k??? Think about some of the other high-profile choices a person has (or will know about) with $175k to spend at the beginning of next year:

Mustang Shelby GT500KR (540hp or so)

Mustang Shelby GT500 modified with the "nastier" SAI package (600+ hp)

Camaro (will be one of the "it" cars to have initially)

Corvette Blue Devil (600+ hp)

Corvette Z06

Dodge Challenger (another one of the "it" cars to have initially)

Dodge Viper (600+ hp)

Aston Martin V8

Audi

Bentley Continental GT

BMW(s)

Mercedes

Porsche(s)

Pre-owned Ford GT, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Astons, big-block '60s muscle cars, etc...

Now, if a guy wants to brag to his buddies or girlfriend that he's just dropped 175 large on a sports car, which one of those is he most likely buying to impress them? Which is the least likely?

1,000 units may sound like a small number. How many Ron Fellow Z06's did Chevy make? What kind of ADM did they command? Ron Fellows is no Carroll Shelby, but 1,000 production will only make a profound difference many years from now. And how many original 2008 KR buyers are going to keep their cars that long? Personally, I'll be pushing up daisies by that time.

By the time the KR hits the showroom, there will probably be rumors of the next, best, gotta-have-it Mustang SE that's arriving soon. There might even be rumors of the KR continuing into the 2009 model year.

$175k? Not the norm. Not IMHO

I've had several customers contact me about getting a GT500KR already. I had one already offer $100K if we would guarantee that he gets one (heck, we don't even know if we'll get one! 1,000 cars for 4,000 dealers means some sort of lottery allocation within Ford).

The +40 HP is an initial estimate....if it ended up being 100 HP more would that change your mind?

In addition, you talk about the suspension as if it's a bad thing by saying "stiffer". Why not say "better cornering"?

You are right that we'll have to "wait and see". :hysterical:

Dave,

Reading your reply to my post, I realize that my initial post may have sounded like I didn't really like the new KR, which is far from the truth. I like this site a lot and like to express my opinion to other Mustang enthisiasts like me, but you see, English is not my first language. I grew up in a part of Canada where over 80% of the population use French as their first language, including me. I tried to learn English the best I can, but I'm far from perfect. Because of that, my choice of words may not always be the best, but I certainly didn't mean to bash the KR. My reaction was in relation to the initial post of this topic, where ColdwaterHotRod predicted that the car would go for 175K plus. If this prediction materializes, that means almost triple the current market value of a regular GT500. Respectfully, with what we currently know about the KR, I do not see any rational justification for a market price gap this huge between the KR and the regular GT500, other than a potentially greater value as a collector's item, due to exclusivity.

To answer your points specifically, you are right that my judgement is based at least in part on the fact that the car is supposed to be 540HP. I know this is only an estimate and that the initial estimate for the regular GT500 was conservative, but still, 540HP is currently the number provided by Ford. If indeed the rating is 600HP, which is totally possible, I still think 175K would be quite high, but somewhere in the 90-110K range could be justified by the power output and exclusivity (there are not a lot of 600HP cars with a 1,000 units production run in that price range).

As far as the "stiffer suspension" is concerned, I now realize that my choice of words may not have been the best; "firmer" might have been a more appropriate word. I did not mean it to be negative. My daily driver is an Audi S4, and I chose it over a regular A4 in no small part because of the "stiffer" suspension, and resulting cornering improvement.

Finally, on a lighter note, we had one of our first nice days of the spring here in Quebec City, which means my first extensive drive of the Shelby. :happy feet: One of the bad sides of living here is our VERY, VERY long and snowy winter. So even though I have had the car parked in the garage for almost a month, the weather would not cooperate. Now that I have driven it for awhile the only thing I can say is WOW! I knew it would be fast but what surprised me is how refined it feels. This is an amazing car and worth every penny. I'm sure the KR will be an amazing car also.

Eric

Archived