TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Team Shelby Mid America June 13-17, 2012

doc scott

Unfortunately Mid America, the home of the Team Shelby Nationals has fallen between the cracks in all the 50th celebration brouhaha . The oldest and the home of the largest gathering will celebrate it's 38th year in June. The website for Mid America is open, drag racers will be taken care of, and as usual several unveilings will take place during the event.

Please check out

MidAmericaFordMeet.com

Doc Scott

Unfortunately Mid America, the home of the Team Shelby Nationals has fallen between the cracks in all the 50th celebration brouhaha . The oldest and the home of the largest gathering will celebrate it's 38th year in June. The website for Mid America is open, drag racers will be taken care of, and as usual several unveilings will take place during the event.

Please check out

MidAmericaFordMeet.com

Doc Scott

I cannot imagine Mid America falling between the cracks...

Where is that coming from Scott? With all of the discussions of 50th tour we have had, southern plains has belonged to Mid America without question. Each region is planning a big event, and since SP time slot was always June/July, it was a no brainier to make it the Mid America event for this region.

If you are referring to not being as involved with the bash, or some other issue, I guess I am not getting your full

story. But I know Shelby plans to be at Mid America, trailer and all as usual. :happyfeet:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to that event many times but because of the changing insurance BS for HPDE the Hallet days have priced out of reason. No longer will your auto insurance cover driving schools or HPDE. Seperate insurance is now an absolute requirment and currently stupid expensive...over $1k a day. Yet one more thing the lawyers have screwed us out of. Yes, I am bitter. Had really wanted to take my new GT there this comming year.

I have gone to MidAmerica since 2009 and I love it but my issue is my little 5 year old HATES that I am not home for fathers day. She has made me promise to NOT attend this year because she says that NO OTHER KID's dad is gone year ofter year on Fathers day. I have begged them to come year after year but for some reason they don't think that Tulsa and 100 degree temps would be of interest to them.

I am still trying like H$LL to get them to go but I will wait to the last minute to buy my ticket this year in hopes that they will all want to come.

Putting a 180k car on the track without insurance protection from the risks of other drivers just is not going to happen. In years past, State Farm covered driving schools as part of its normal full coverage package. As did most other major carriers. As of about 3 years ago the do not. Specific event coverage is about $1200 a day. Sucks. The legal profession has done this sort of thing to all kinds of former privledges.

I never have bought the track insurance and have been on a road course over 30 times and never needed it.

You just keep saying that when the guy that pushed it just a bit too hard into a corner nudges you off the track. Enjoy your pile of scrap metal. Over, done, pay again to play.

I will not drive on a public street without insurance why would you undertake the considerable higher risk at the track? Almost every year I have gone to Hallet, at least one car has gone on a trailer with significant body damage. Sometimes very bad.

I have gone to MidAmerica since 2009 and I love it but my issue is my little 5 year old HATES that I am not home for fathers day. She has made me promise to NOT attend this year because she says that NO OTHER KID's dad is gone year ofter year on Fathers day. I have begged them to come year after year but for some reason they don't think that Tulsa and 100 degree temps would be of interest to them.

I am still trying like H$LL to get them to go but I will wait to the last minute to buy my ticket this year in hopes that they will all want to come.

+1 ALways wanted to go, I'm only 2 hours away, but my wife has enough issues with the car and being away on Father's day and not with the family isn't in the the cards.

You just keep saying that when the guy that pushed it just a bit too hard into a corner nudges you off the track. Enjoy your pile of scrap metal. Over, done, pay again to play.

I will not drive on a public street without insurance why would you undertake the considerable higher risk at the track? Almost every year I have gone to Hallet, at least one car has gone on a trailer with significant body damage. Sometimes very bad.

Good point I didn’t realize you were driving a GT. I’ll change my comment. Buy the insurance and get that bad boy on the track. :drool:

Several TS members here have had "accidents" while on private property and enjoying the capabilities of their cars and their insurance companies covered them. You do need to check your individual policy to be sure of what your restrictions/limits are however. I have used Locton Affinity at my events and they are super easy to deal with and have very fair rates and you can even specify extra coverage for specific parts like your engine or your brakes.

I can tell you that there is NO WAY I would insure a Ford GT with State Farm or Allstate or any other "regular" insurance company. I would absolutely go with Grundy or Hagarty or some other speciality insurance company.

Several TS members here have had "accidents" while on private property and enjoying the capabilities of their cars and their insurance companies covered them. You do need to check your individual policy to be sure of what your restrictions/limits are however. I have used Locton Affinity at my events and they are super easy to deal with and have very fair rates and you can even specify extra coverage for specific parts like your engine or your brakes.

I can tell you that there is NO WAY I would insure a Ford GT with State Farm or Allstate or any other "regular" insurance company. I would absolutely go with Grundy or Hagarty or some other speciality insurance company.

Really don't understand your comment on State Farm Insurance. I have insured a number of performance and antique cars with them over the years. Without the limitations on driving that the 'specialty' carriers impose. I have had some claims over the years and they have always been decent to deal with. They were also VERY helpful in dealing with a claim with Farmers from another driver hitting me. I ended up getting the repairs done in my preferred shop done MY way and then a $5000 reduction in value payment after. They also covered the rental of a pretty nice replacement for 12 weeks all after SF got involved on my behalf. My local agent is very responsive and always available to discuss 'correct' coverage for my situation. With my long history with them and numerous policies, Hagarty could not touch the rates. My one exception was my wife's Harley. My SF agent flat told me to go buy a policy from Progressive for the bike for half the price. SF does not compete on motorcycle coverage.

I will look into Locton for event coverage. Do you have an agent you work with?

Jim, I have the Shelbys and vette insured thru Grundy. 1/2 the price of regular insurance and you also state your value. No mileage limitations either. Only stipulation is that you have a daily driver other than what you are insuring. They reason they are cheaper is that they only charge you once for pl and pd. Then you pay the comp and collision based on each car. Iirc, the 40ths are about 1k/year. They are very easy to file a claim on and do not close it out until the car is back to what it was.

Really don't understand your comment on State Farm Insurance. I have insured a number of performance and antique cars with them over the years. Without the limitations on driving that the 'specialty' carriers impose. I have had some claims over the years and they have always been decent to deal with. They were also VERY helpful in dealing with a claim with Farmers from another driver hitting me. I ended up getting the repairs done in my preferred shop done MY way and then a $5000 reduction in value payment after. They also covered the rental of a pretty nice replacement for 12 weeks all after SF got involved on my behalf. My local agent is very responsive and always available to discuss 'correct' coverage for my situation. With my long history with them and numerous policies, Hagarty could not touch the rates. My one exception was my wife's Harley. My SF agent flat told me to go buy a policy from Progressive for the bike for half the price. SF does not compete on motorcycle coverage.

I will look into Locton for event coverage. Do you have an agent you work with?

Here is the info on the guy I use. You just have to get MidAmerica to apply first, then you can apply.

Fredric A. Knuth

Assistant Vice President

Account Executive

Lockton Affinity

7300 College Blvd., Suite 500

Overland Park, KS 66210

Phone: 913.652.7529

Fax: 913.652.4529

E-mail: fknuth@locktonaffinity.com

Jim, I have the Shelbys and vette insured thru Grundy. 1/2 the price of regular insurance and you also state your value. No mileage limitations either. Only stipulation is that you have a daily driver other than what you are insuring. They reason they are cheaper is that they only charge you once for pl and pd. Then you pay the comp and collision based on each car. Iirc, the 40ths are about 1k/year. They are very easy to file a claim on and do not close it out until the car is back to what it was.

Since you are in the same insurance market, the rates would be similar. And this roughly aligns with what I was quoted by Hagerty a few years ago. SF is charging me less than half that. About $30 a month for the GT500 with an apraised value of $50k.( which was high based on current sales prices) The GT will run me just under $50 for a stated $200k value. SF is one of those companies that once you have a long term relationship with, they make it worth your while to stay. New customers would get much more comparable rates.

Oh and the GT500 has a new home out of state. My empty nest sure is sad. I can't wait for Jan to go GT shoping.

Guess I'll have to hot dog my wife's Ecoboost MKT for a few weeks to tide me over :-)

• 2 months later...

I will be there! 1st time since '06 when I was there with my '66. Since then the '66 (SFM6S1507) has been sold but I'm finally back in a Shelby (CSM07SGT4789) and can't wait to be back. This is one of the best shows of the year! I've been attending since the early '90s.

Everyone is ready for this event! our mild winter has let us get our cars out, lets hope our mild weather carries over to June, its going to be a tremendous time!!

Doc Scott

West Coast Guys don't forget Pomona April 19-21!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived