TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barn Find GT500

Bushmaster

Someone just posted these on Yellow Bullet. Apparently it's been sitting in a building (not a barn) in Illinois since '75. No details, other than that it's in good hands now and will be treated right.

Barnfind1.jpg

Barnfind2.jpg

I'll keep an eye on the thread and see if more comes out about it. Here's a link - if you aren't familiar with YB, you might want to don that hazard suit. They can get a little rough around the edges. Unfortunately the poster isn't the owner, just a friend - otherwise you could PM him and get some details. I guess you could PM him and get the owner's contact info if you were interested enough.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425827

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting pics. The extra wide front tires with the alpha tire size is just like what someone would run on a musclecar in 1975. Notice that the left front tire has dirt/mud caked in the tread. Perhaps it was in a barn at some point.

The other thing that catched my eye is that this GT500 has the 1970 front spoiler but i don't see the 1970 black paint on the hood.

Steve

Interesting pics. The extra wide front tires with the alpha tire size is just like what someone would run on a musclecar in 1975.

Heh heh.....I had to chuckle at the memory that comment brought back. My last '66 GTO, bought in '75 (for $550!!!) had G60-14s on the front with manual steering and a small 12" chrome-and-foam steering wheel. That damn steering wheel nearly removed fingers on several occasions when I'd pull into a driveway at an angle. To say that I avoided parallel parking situations would be an understatement. Once rolling, though, it was just fine. The manual brakes, on the other hand......

Here's the old Goat, somewhere in downtown Long Beach, CA, in 1976. Sold that car for $750 in '76 - it would easily be worth 50 times that much today in the condition it was in then. 35 years later and I'm still not over that car.

GOAT.jpg

Nice find OP.

Bushmaster, car looks familiar (see Goat in sig...though a '67)!

Very cool! I like your bike, too. I've got a Sting Ray knockoff I bought a few years ago to use as a pitbike when I was drag racing. I spent many hours on an original (but not a Krate) back before I was old enough to start spending money on GTOs.

Funny story about my '66. When we went to sell it in '76, my ex was working at the VA hospital in Long Beach, so she put an ad up on the bulletin board there. A few days later she was contacted by a patient there at the hospital, so I took the car over one afternoon to show it to him. Turns out he had just had his left foot amputated and was still in a wheelchair so he had to roll out to the parking lot to look at the car. Needless to say, he was in no condition for a test drive, and even though I warned him about the mega-stiff competition clutch, he went ahead and gave us what we were advertising it for. He lived in Iowa and was going to take it back there - no idea how he was going to manage that clutch/four-speed without a left foot. If I had a dollar for every time I've wondered what ever happened to that car......it's probably still around in someone's collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!

In storage since 1975?

Can anyone make out what year the front license plate says in the right corner?

Pretty sure it says "75". If you look at the pic on Yellow Bullet it's larger and clearer.

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!

In storage since 1975?

Can anyone make out what year the front license plate says in the right corner?

Pretty sure it says "75". If you look at the pic on Yellow Bullet it's larger and clearer.

Its is a "79" printed. Illinois plates were yellow in 75

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived