TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LCA upgrade

Moncho

Seems as though when replacing the LCA you should replace the bolts & nuts that support the LCA's. Can someone confirm? If so, are there suitable replacements as the dealership wants quite a bit for them. Or do the replacement LCA's include them?

Cheers,

Moncho

When I was shopping for replacement LCAs, I do not recall that new mounting hardware was supplied by any of the manufacturers that I considered. I eventually purchased Steeda's billet aluminum LCAs and for sure these did not include new hardware. As far as should the hardware be replaced, Ford suggests this hardware is to be used only once. From what I have read on this site, some individuals use new mounting hardware and others do not. I have not heard of anyone who has had a problem as a result of re-using the mounting hardware. Regardless, I did use new hardware when I replaced my LCAs.

--KLG--

I don't know for sure what Ford's reasoning is, but I do know something about the fasteners. They're all flange head bolts and flange head/nylok nuts. The flanges have a curve to them that applies tension when tightened. After being tightened then loosened the curve is deformed. No more tension. Also, Nylok nuts are good for one use. The nylon doesn't grip as well after use. Therefore, the torque may not be maintained. Solution: plenty of blue Loctite on the metal threads, not on the nylon part.

Steve.

Thank you all for your responses, got some great information. Now I can make an informed decision on which way to go on this. Looks like it will be a compromise of using the bolts & replacing the nuts.

Excellent information!

Cheers,

Moncho

Hey Moncho,

A Nylock nut has both metal and nylon parts. If you use blue Loctite in the metal part of the nut you can reuse the nut also. I've done it many times.

Steve

Steve,

I'll go your route and use th blue Loctite, can't argue with success.

Thanks for for taking the time to respond!

Cheers,

Moncho

• 1 month later...

Archived