TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil?

RUFDRAFT

How often should I change the oil in my V8?

And what oil should I use?

Thanks

I've been sticking with every 3 months, and having the dealer do it. Using motorcraft. Going this route because I've read it's the best for resale.

I've heard royal purple is top of the line performance oil out there. http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html Ford says a 5 month schedule is fine, a lot of people seem to be sticking with a 3 month schedule.

- Tony

Thanks

Mr. Rufdraft,

You should always follow the manufacturer's recommendation for both oil change intervals and type of oil. The Owner's Manual will list 2 schedules, one for normal maintenance and one for severe duty. Given the type of driving we see on your posts, the severe duty may be more appropriate for your particular car.

You can change your your oil more often than the recommended intervals, and should if racing or if the car drive short distances where the engine does not fully warm up. When the engine does not fully warm up, moisture builds up in the crankcase or shortens the oil life significantly. Fine dust can also find its way into the crankcase.

Some people prefer and some manufacturer's recommend in some of their models, the of use synthetic oil. Synthetic oils are considered by most experts to be better than fossil derived oils, although most synthetics really have some fossil derived bases.

That fact is that all oils breakdown with time and contamination. Contamination can be water, unburned fuel that leaks past the piston rings and particles in the air. The oil filter will help to capture some contaminants but not all.

So keep your oil changed at an interval that suits the way your car is driven, where it is driven and conditions that effect it. Don't forget to use a good filter at every oil change.

Happy motoring Mr. Rufdraft :hyper:

Can I just rinse out my old filter - and save a few bucks?

I used to do that, but it was kind of dirty. I bought one of the cartridges sold by JC Witney, it takes a paper tissue roll. It gets everything out of the oil.

So yeah, you can rinse it out, use gasoline not water to rinse it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Oil has inproved so much that Ford recommends changing the oil and filter every five (5) thousand miles. Ford oil is produced by BP (Castrol) so it is good stuff. Changing your oil before the recommended interval is wasting your money and time. However, if it makes you feel better go ahead and do it.

By the way. I work for BP. Go ahead and change that oil every 3,000 miles. It will help my 401K!!!!

Thanks!!!

OMG you are such a :ninja: :devil: :fan::stirpot: and people fall for it too...

Archived