TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Oil change Question

Moncho

So I've got an '07 GT500 that was purchased by the original owner sometime mid to late '06. The car now has 1400 miles and the oil hasn't been changed to this point. Being that our engines use synthetic there shouldn't be a shelf life concern as in traditional oil. I've been reading that it may be a good idea to make the 1st oil change within 1000 or so miles. Does this have any validity? Or should I just wait until the normal interval based on mileage? :headscratch:

Cheers,

Moncho

Wow, I would change it. The by products of combustion is just a piece of what makes oil dirty. Cheap insurance and easy to do. Just my 2-cents. I am sure there are more technical people that will give their perspective. Non the else, due to the time interval, I would say its over due.

You need to change the oil once a year even if you only put a few hundred miles on the car every year. The oil starts to loose its viscosity after one year.

This is the best thread out there to help give you tips on changing it yourself:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/685466-how-i-change-oil-my-2007-gt500.html

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I always change the oil every 6 months if I don't meet the recommended milage interval. So far I have changed the oil in the Shelby five times with only 6500 miles on the clock. Like it has already been said " cheap insurance."

My 2007 Maintenance Schedule from Ford has an Exceptions page that says:

In addition, there are several exceptions to the Normal Schedule.

Maximum Oil Change Interval

Normal Schedule: 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

With 5 years on the same oil, I'd say change it.

Wow - Never saw such a uninimous response on anything I've posted before.

@ TexasShelby - You made your point for sure.

Thank you all for your responses! :salute:

I'll take her in this week.

Cheers,

Moncho

Careful where you take it.

Demand that they use the right oil and ask that they only put in 6.5 qts and ask for the extra 1/2 qt to take home.

Also make darn sure they lift the car by the pinch welds only.

Take note of this or you will end up with the wrong oil over filled in your car and they will lift the car by the suspension and crush your unibody. Seen it many times !

Careful where you take it.

Demand that they use the right oil and ask that they only put in 6.5 qts and ask for the extra 1/2 qt to take home.

Also make darn sure they lift the car by the pinch welds only.

Take note of this or you will end up with the wrong oil over filled in your car and they will lift the car by the suspension and crush your unibody. Seen it many times !

Grabber - You are a wealth of information & thanks for watching my back. Now to find your thread on jack placement. :worship:

@ Torch40 - I'll be taking it into a shop that has done work for me on my other vehicles. I'll be avoiding dealerships as much as I can.

Cheers,

Moncho

Grabber - You are a wealth of information & thanks for watching my back. Now to find your thread on jack placement. :worship:

@ Torch40 - I'll be taking it into a shop that has done work for me on my other vehicles. I'll be avoiding dealerships as much as I can.

Cheers,

Moncho

Nothing to add, but Rob's posts are priceless if you own a shelby. Used them everytime I did something to my car.

Texas Shelby... I gotta meet you dude... You crack me up! :hysterical2:

OH MY GOSH!!!!

Five years old and no oil change. It should have had four changes by now. Oil is too cheap to not change. I change mine every 6 months no matter how many miles are put on it. Condensation builds up and like said before the oil breaks down over time.

Wow - Never saw such a uninimous response on anything I've posted before.

@ TexasShelby - You made your point for sure.

Thank you all for your responses! :salute:

I'll take her in this week.

Cheers,

Moncho

LOL...no, that wasn't pointed at your situation....I was just saying, that's what I say....

You need to change the oil once a year even if you only put a few hundred miles on the car every year. The oil starts to loose its viscosity after one year.

This is the best thread out there to help give you tips on changing it yourself:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/685466-how-i-change-oil-my-2007-gt500.html

My owners manual says every six months maximum length. So I do it every spring and fall...

Cheers,

Moncho

Allot of the Ford dealers have a "fast lane" center for services such a s oil changes. Some of the mechanics there3 are not familiar with where to lift on our cars. Where ever you go, tell them you want to make sure that they are lifting your cars by the proper lift points on the car. There are 4 points located where the body of the car is seamed together. Those points also have a small notch in them for a scissor jack to place there.

Here is a photo of my car up on a hoist the proper way so you can take note.

Shifterinstall020.jpg

Here is that thread on the jack points:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29264-the-ford-factory-jack-and-where-to-place-it/page__view__findpost__p__470251

A friend of mine has a GT500 that has been in several shops getting mods done. The mechanics have been lifting on the front end supports and NOT using the pinch welds as Ford recommends. The front end supports are bolted into the uni-body. When you lift on those black steel supports, the weight transfers into the uni-body and point loads the sheet metal. The sheet metal at those locations is not strong enough to lift the car and by overloading this location....the black steel supports crush into the uni-body. If that happens you will need to take your car to an alignment shop to see if some alignment adjustments need to be made.

Here's some photos of that kind of damage when you lift the car incorrectly (notice how the sheet metal is con-caved inwards).

Jacking1-1.jpg

Jacking-1.jpg

Grabber - As usual excellent pics on the exact placement of the jacks as well as the hydraulic lift. Hadn't seen that felt type material on a jack before, excellent idea. It's also very noticable on the pics you provided to point out the damage of an improperly placed lift. Certainly want to avoid that at all costs. I'm starting to lean more towards changing out the oil myself.

BTW - Your chassis looks amazing, no rust at all from the looks of it. I've got some rust on a few areas, however I'll post that on a different topic. Also, noticed an after market LCA on your rig, your sig doesn't appear to mention it.

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers,

Moncho

Yes I have the BMR rear LCA's on my car.

If you need some tips on dealing with the rust, see the attached thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11229-i-am-going-after-my-rear-end-rust/page__view__findpost__p__215711

Excellent thread on eliminating that nasty rust under what appears to be on most '07 GT500's (thanks for sharing & documenting). This will definately help in my journey to clear that rust I have, although my car doesn't appear to have as much, possibly due to living in dry Colorado. Here are a few pics of what I'm up against, doesn't seem to be too bad.

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

Thanks big time Grabber!

Cheers,

Moncho

Your rust is not all that bad. Looks like you have a winter project to do. There is lots of informative people on this site to help each other and that's what it is all about. We all help each other here on the site. We have a nice group here. What comes around goes around. Or there is another saying "what you do....come back on you". ;) Glad I could be of some help.

Thanks Rob for sharing. I know the only time mine has been on a lift was at my local Chevy dealership for an oil change and I watched them closely. I even printed off the instructions for the thread on this site. That's awful to bend your car up from not knowing where to lift.

Your rust is not all that bad. Looks like you have a winter project to do. There is lots of informative people on this site to help each other and that's what it is all about. We all help each other here on the site. We have a nice group here. What comes around goes around. Or there is another saying "what you do....come back on you". ;) Glad I could be of some help.

Looks like projects are starting to stack up on my rig, just going to pace myself & if my attention to detail is half as good as your's I'll be content.

BTW - I fully understand what you mean and appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Moncho

Nothing to add, but Rob's posts are priceless if you own a shelby. Used them everytime I did something to my car.

Texas Shelby... I gotta meet you dude... You crack me up! :hysterical2:

+1

TexasShelby has his own unique way of enlightning us. Like you said priceless.

Cheers,

Moncho

Archived