TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bondurant School

twobjshelbys

I'm planning on trying to kill two birds with one stone. After I took the Grand Prix racing class at Bondurant last spring I had planned on returning some day for the advanced class. It was especially interesting since in the advanced class you are allowed to drive your own vehicle.

I thought of trying to double up a 2 or 3 day advanced class with the week of the Shelby 50th. I just spoke with them and they have not scheduled their classes that far into 2012 yet, so they are willing to schedule a class with this in mind. I am expecting a quote for price in the next day or so. Basically they would schedule the regular class for that period. The classes are small - 3-4 people as I think they keep one instructor for the group. When I was there it was only two.

Basically, if I sign up they will schedule the class during this period and then open it up to fill it out.

Is anyone else interested in this? When they let me know we can try to build the class up as higher head counts affect the track rental fee [i believe they use the track at Thunderbird for most of it instead of the regular Bondurant track which is reserved for the other classes].

The great thing is that you get focused one-on-one instruction which would be a great prelude to the track time in Vegas.

As I said, you can drive your own vehicle. Their recommendation is that you do the last 1/2 day with yours and burn up the tires and brakes of their cars. If we get enough they would be willing to mix and match - 1(2 day class) or 2 days(3 day class) in Corvettes, 1/2 day in F-Mazda, 1/2 day in your own car.

My reason for doing this is to get at least 1/2 day of good time with an instructor with the Ford GT (I want to learn the limits of my car), not the short time that we'll get at the 50th - there are just too many cars and not enough instructors to really get quality track and instructor time. Imagine getting this one-on-one the day before Vegas!

This is an advanced class and requires the equivalent of their "Grand Prix Road Racing" or equivalent experience.

Just a warning, this is pricey. The 2 day class is estimated at about $4K. The three day class at about $7500+ (but there was something about track rental with more people being less or waived. I'm undecided about 2 or 3 days - the third day is incrementally more pricey but the opportunity to throw in some Formula Mazda time is a good thing.

Maybe if we get enough Shelby 50th participants the 3 day class could be just a little less than the full day on day 3 and then we caravan to Vegas in time for the evening checkin.

I'll post more info about the pricing and how the class can be structured when I get the info from Bondurant.

Love the idea! But i definitely wont be able to afford the bondurant class right before the bash. lol. Someone in my housing community has one of the bondurant cadillac cts-v's sitting in their driveway. If theres gonna be people down here in phoenix before the bash we should set up a meeting so we can all meet up and hang out and cruise up to vegas together!!

I have a buddy who will be doing the school next week. Only I think he'll be in a school house Corvette instead if his 2010 Shelby GT-500. :shift:

You can only drive your own vehicle in the advanced class. The first class has to be their vehicles. After he does it he'll want to do the second part (lots fewer people on the track, lots more instructor contact). Tell him about this one in case he wants a follow up class.

You can only drive your own vehicle in the advanced class. The first class has to be their vehicles. After he does it he'll want to do the second part (lots fewer people on the track, lots more instructor contact). Tell him about this one in case he wants a follow up class.

Believe me, he'd rather "tear up" a driving school vehicle that his garage queen Shelbly. :shift:

I would do a Track Day in your area and pay for 1 on 1 instruction in your own vehicle. You will be able to do quite a few before you make the $4k price of Bondurant. :shoppingcart_:

Yeah, but the cool factor involved here is that one of the instructors is Bob Bondurant :) If not seat time then for sure a hot lap in the GT. I'm told he likes them alot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

OK, let's try again. I couldn't make the trip last year...

I got a class from the Bondurant school at the September deal at the Shelby American Collection party.

I did the 4-day class (almost) 2 hears ago. It was 3 days of Corvettes and a totally bonus day on the Formula Mazdas - these are a wicked car; a mini formula car.

I had talked to them about scheduling the advanced class in the days before the Shelby Bash. I got a call late last week and was told there was an advanced racing class scheduled tentatively for 18-19-Mar. If we can get enough they might extend it to the 3 day class to the 20th. Then we would go from Phoenix to Vegas for the Shelby Bash.

So if you have done the class or have experience that qualifies for SCCA - this would be a class you to have.

The great thing is that you can (with the rest of the group) drive your own cars. Bob took me for a ride in his ZR1 and while we did it he told me that I shouldn't drive my car for the whole thing - use theirs for tires and brakes - and take yours on the last half of the last day.

Any one interested?

P.S. Even if you don't have the experience to qualify for the advanced class come on down and do one of the others. If scheduling permits do the 4 day class with the Mazdas. We can still hang out!!!

i might be interested in this class. I am not going to the Bash in 2013 (don't care for the distance of the new track and there is not, really, much it has to offer after doing it for the first five years) but this would be a good excuse to learn to drive better using someone else's tires and brakes. Let me know if it looks like we can get a group together. Thanks.

Jim

Just to be sure that everyone is on the same page. The advanced class requires the 3 or 4 day Grand Prix racing class (details on their web page) or equivalent experience. The first class is about the skills, this one is about "improving lap times". If not see if they have a Grand Prix class scheduled at the same time.

Would I contact them to see what qualifies as equivalent experience?

Jim

Current scca card is a given. Track experience would depend. Contact Bruce at Bondurant. We are still looking to see if the third track day is available (I think it is the thunderbird track). If it is and we get 3 or more the track fee is waived but the extra day is of course more. The third day might make it tight to get to Vegas wed night. What happens on the Shelby event on Thursday? Isn't it late registration and social gathering?

I'll pm you Bruce's contact info later tonight

I'm signed up for it now to get hotel for Vegas.

Current scca card is a given. Track experience would depend. Contact Bruce at Bondurant. We are still looking to see if the third track day is available (I think it is the thunderbird track). If it is and we get 3 or more the track fee is waived but the extra day is of course more. The third day might make it tight to get to Vegas wed night. What happens on the Shelby event on Thursday? Isn't it late registration and social gathering?

I'll pm you Bruce's contact info later tonight

I'm signed up for it now to get hotel for Vegas.

This year's Bash is 3/21 Thursday thru 3/24 Sunday.

The Shelby Run from Socal will start with a reception Wednesday evening 3/20 and the cruise will leave Socal Thursday morning 3/21 and arrive at Southpoint around 2:00PM.

Like last year, registration will be available at both the Shelby Run origin point and the Southpoint on Thursday afternoon.

The Shelby Run from Socal will start with a reception Wednesday evening 3/20 and the cruise will leave Socal Thursday morning 3/21 and arrive at Southpoint around 2:00PM.

Like last year, registration will be available at both the Shelby Run origin point and the Southpoint on Thursday afternoon.

Given this scheduling, and depending if the 3rd track day can be added (it depends on track availability and participation) those in Phoenix could go on Wed to Gardena from Phoenix and still have time to get there for the dinner and drive back to Vegas. Either way I will be going from Phoenix to Vegas but not to Gardena.

Any more details about the Run? Starting location, route, etc?

Any more details about the Run? Starting location, route, etc?

I don't want to jump the gun, we are still getting the details ironed out. I can tell you this, we will NOT be starting in Gardena this year.

We have a great itinerary planned and it will be rolled out shortly.

No problem but this place is a little far off the beaten path to post plans for the Bash!!! Still if anyone wants a really good high performance driving school this is the place!!!

I graduated form the school of Bob. Best $ spent!

No problem but this place is a little far off the beaten path to post plans for the Bash!!! Still if anyone wants a really good high performance driving school this is the place!!!

Will be on my Bucket list!

Which class(es) did you do? Before (with Mustangs) or after (with Corvetttes)?

I did the 3 day High Performance Driving class in my 87 911 Carrera, followed 6 months later by the 4 day Competition Road Racing (Fox bodied Mustangs and Formula Fords )class 6 months later. Both at Sear's Point Raceway in Sonoma (in the good old days)

Archived