TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MIssed the Train, Missed the Truck...

stpracer43

All,

Was attempting to make this post last night, but my section of the block suffered a power outage... so here it is, as intended.

Mar 29th, 2007

Today is my 44th birthday! My many gifts include exceptionally good health, a 22 year marriage to Faye, my high school Sweetheart (whom I've known and Loved for 30 years), two wonderful kids (daughter - 18 & son - 11), and the great honor and privilege of serving Our Country as a member of the world's greatest Air Force for the last 22 years. I have been blessed with many excellent educational, travel, and financial opportunities over the years. Today... IS A GREAT DAY and another one of those wonderful opportunities for me!

My wife and I drove 120 miles from Ft Walton Beach, FL over to the Treadwell Ford dealership in Mobile, AL on Wed evening (28 Mar) after I received call from salesman the car would be arriving by truck that evening. We arrived a bit early and scoped out the lot, but the salesman said the truck is never early, so we checked into our hotel and got an early dinner... Right in the middle of dinner and an hour before the scheduled arrival I get the call the truck has arrived! It took all I could do to stay seated and finish my meal, but I figured another few hours wait wouldn't kill me. Thankfully, the salesman and owner were there to take pictures as it was unloaded and put away for the night for PDI the next morning.

After dinner we drove down to storage lot where they PDI all their new cars, just to see if I could get a look see. Found her hiding in the back behind a panel van. Sorry about the pic quality. Fast forward through a restless night of sleep and we're at the PDI first thing at 8:30 am. I got the chance to take a good look at the car before heading to the main dealership for the real paperwork. Odometer showed only 4.1 miles and I checked for all the little gotchas that the members of Our forum have shared and thankfully didn't find any major issues. Only one issue with a stripe (tiny air bubbles) and that's being worked already with the dealer. Otherwise, she looked perfect!!! Was disappointed not to find a lot of additional DOCUMENTATION in the car... but that feeling went away very fast. You'll notice in the pics, I'm wearing my uniform...I was serving in IRAQ last March when I ordered this car and told the dealer I'd proudly show up in uniform and present him with a flag worn/flown on a combat mission if he could help me get one of these cars...

Fast forward again through the official paperwork and we're off and running with my new GT500 for the 120 mile drive back to FL!!! The weather was beautiful so we made a few stops along the way to get some other pics as well. The stops included the USS Alabama Battleship Park, the Blue Angels static at a rest stop outside Pensacola, the Air Commando Air Park at Hulrburt Field, FL (Home of Air Force Special Operations), and the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, FL. The drive was amazing, and I managed to keep it under 75 mph most of the time. Shifting was a bit tricky with my combat boots, but I'll get better...

Only drama was getting hit by a small piece of flying re-tread tire kicked up but the truck in front of me... Thankfully NO DAMAGE as I put the massive Brakes and quick steering to emergency use... Whew!

Next is to pick up the Shelby car cover on Friday and order my specialty plate (going with MY STANG as top choice)! Then driving to Tucson on 7 April and looking for long term storage before heading to Korea for 2 years! To cap it all off, I'll gladly share my personal experience with my salesman, Mike Hatcher, and the manager, Bill Ford, at Treadwell Ford. I ordered this car with a deposit only (from the deserts of Iraq) and no discussion of price... We didn't even discuss price until the week before the car arrived! Mr. Ford gave me an initial price and I offered him less in my counter. He accepted! Yes, it was above MSRP, but a fair price in my book and a fair profit for him... If anyone is still looking for a chance to buy a GT500, I will recommend TREADWELL FORD in Mobile, AL. Ask for Mike Hatcher!!!

I'll stop typing and let you folks see the pics... Thanks to all who have shared your knowledge of these cars with the rest of us. I look forward to hearing and reading your stories as well.

After all that, I will only add What a GREAT car and birthday!!! Keith

UPDATE: 200 miles in 3 days...plus the SHELBY car cover and the Zaino wax kit!

over_the_fence.jpg

Finally_Arrived.jpg

All_Muscle.jpg

found_her.jpg

4_1.jpg

PDI.jpg

P3302610.JPG

combat_flag.jpg

P3292570.JPG

P3292581.JPG

P3293098.JPG

Mother_of_All_Cars.jpg

B17.jpg

USAF.jpg

over_the_fence.jpg

Finally_Arrived.jpg

All_Muscle.jpg

found_her.jpg

4_1.jpg

PDI.jpg

P3302610.JPG

combat_flag.jpg

P3292570.JPG

P3292581.JPG

P3293098.JPG

Mother_of_All_Cars.jpg

B17.jpg

USAF.jpg

Let me be the first to say congrats. :happy feet: You now own one of the coolest cars on the planet. Great story. Too bad about the stripe problem. Once it is fixed....you will be 100% happy. Thank you for serving our Country and protecting our Freedom. I am glad you got your car finally. Happy riding my friend. :shift:

Congratulations!! I know you're trying to hide a smile in those photos but underneath you seem ready to take off.

Above all, thanks for all you do for our country! Enjoy the stang while your still Stateside.

Great pics thanks for sharing - hope you join the FL get together

Congratulations Keith,

What a great birthday present and what a great story. I wish you well on your 2 year stay in Korea. It must be hard to dive a car like this for only a few weeks and know that it will the be a long time before driving it again. I know that I would certainly find it tough.

Congratulations Keith,

What a great birthday present and what a great story. I wish you well on your 2 year stay in Korea. It must be hard to dive a car like this for only a few weeks and know that it will the be a long time before driving it again. I know that I would certainly find it tough.

What a great story, Keith!!!

Happy Birthday and enjoy her in good health (even if you have to wait a couple of years)!

And thanks for doing all you do -- God Bless!!!

-Dan

Archived