TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Weight finally disclosed for GT500 Competitor

TopCat501

Apparently GM has supplied dealer guides for the ZL1 and someone spilled the beans

OFFICIAL SPECS:

Wheelbase - 112.3

Length - 190.4

Height - 54.2

Front Track - 63.7

Rear Track - 63.7

Weight - 4120 pound

Weight distribution: 51/49

Compression ratio 9.1:1

HP 580 (427) @ 6000 SAE certified

Torque 556 (754) @ 4200 SAE certified

Exhaust - Cast stainless steel (exhaust manifolds), stainless steel with active valves and quad 3.5" bright tips

Looks like around an extra 300lb on the Camaro compaed to the GT500 (assuming the new model year doesn't gain too much weight from any improvements)

Likely the vert will be another 200-300 lb heavier

Apparently GM has supplied dealer guides for the ZL1 and someone spilled the beans

OFFICIAL SPECS:

Wheelbase - 112.3

Length - 190.4

Height - 54.2

Front Track - 63.7

Rear Track - 63.7

Weight - 4120 pound

Weight distribution: 51/49

Compression ratio 9.1:1

HP 580 (427) @ 6000 SAE certified

Torque 556 (754) @ 4200 SAE certified

Exhaust - Cast stainless steel (exhaust manifolds), stainless steel with active valves and quad 3.5" bright tips

Looks like around an extra 300lb on the Camaro compaed to the GT500 (assuming the new model year doesn't gain too much weight from any improvements)

Likely the vert will be another 200-300 lb heavier

I think everyone expected it to weigh that, so it's no real surprise. The big thing is the weight balance and at 51/49 it's far better than the GT500.

With it's power, weight distribution, traction system and 305's on the back Ford had better make some major improvements to the GT500 an increase in HP is going to do nothing to help it catch the ZL1.

I think everyone expected it to weigh that, so it's no real surprise. The big thing is the weight balance and at 51/49 it's far better than the GT500.

With it's power, weight distribution, traction system and 305's on the back Ford had better make some major improvements to the GT500 an increase in HP is going to do nothing to help it catch the ZL1.

Don't forget it also has Magnetic shock control for the track . Launch control for the 1/4 mile beginners.These are some amazing times for all of us.

Don't forget it also has Magnetic shock control for the track . Launch control for the 1/4 mile beginners.These are some amazing times for all of us.

Yes this will force Ford to put some technology into the GT 500 because this will not be pretty when they compare one to a 2012 like mine side by side. I am waiting for 0-60 and 1/4 times to see what I am missing. :drool:

So a 3500 lb Shelby with a 550 HP SC should wipe 'em off the track. :)

Yes it will and that is why if I were in the Market a Boss 302 would be my choice. Put a SC on that and it will smoke them all and will always weigh less like our GT/SC's. Even without the SC it will probably take them on the track.

Cars are getting way to heavy.

Going to be tough for the Shelby to drop 400lbs.

But I am very curious to see what Ford is going to bring to this fight.

I think it's funny when people with their "3500lb" GT's add a blower, intercooler, fluids etc and think the car still weighs 3500lbs. An 11+ GT500 and 12 GT with an intercooled Whipple are within 65lbs of each other. Not 400.

So a 3500 lb Shelby with a 550 HP SC should wipe 'em off the track. :)

What Shelby has 550HP and only weighs 3500 pounds?

My "lightened" 2010 GT500 weighs in at 3890 pounds with a 57/43 percent front/rear weight bias.

Phill

Tell that to the Camaro guys....like I said its gonna be fun. Chad said he encountered a Camaro at Brainard and it was very capable in the turns....maybe he will join in here soon.

Yep there is a guy with a 2010 Camaro SS that was very capable of keeping up with me at BIR (Brainderd International Raceway). He claimed he only had, race pads, race tires, cold air intake and changed the exhaust.......he also told me he owned a auto repair shop as well so I think he might have had more goodies on his car than he let on to but we were actually very equel on the track. I also asked him if he had been racing all his life and he said no he just started 3 years ago......which was also a little suspious. I think he had been racing for many years and he was just pulling my chain.

Needless to say I was impressed at how that SS Camaro was keeping up with my SGT with the Whipple 550 on it. I also have one-peice alumimum driveshaft, Shelby axle girdle, Baer 6P brakes with hawk DTC pads, full ford racing suspension, Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger, STEEDA caster and camber plates, NT01 Race tires...........but my car is a vert so that does slow it down a tad.

I think it's funny when people with their "3500lb" GT's add a blower, intercooler, fluids etc and think the car still weighs 3500lbs. An 11+ GT500 and 12 GT with an intercooled Whipple are within 65lbs of each other. Not 400.

Nobody mentioned a '12 GT.

All of the other posters are referring to real Shelbys..The 07-08 Shelby GT, and yes, I'll give you that the cars aren't exactly 3500, they're probably sitting at about 3700, with full tank.

Still about 200 lbs lower than the "lightened" 2010 Ford GT500 that another poster mentioned.

3605lbs with me in the car as listed in signature below as weighed at a state of WA certified scale....over 550 crank HP per dyno. And thats with the heavy saleen 19" wheels.....

Whose talking 12 GT's around here?.....:hysterical:

So thats the facts as I know em....like I said the new Camaro is going to be interesting.

Yep there is a guy with a 2010 Camaro SS that was very capable of keeping up with me at BIR (Brainderd International Raceway). He claimed he only had, race pads, race tires, cold air intake and changed the exhaust.......he also told me he owned a auto repair shop as well so I think he might have had more goodies on his car than he let on to but we were actually very equel on the track. I also asked him if he had been racing all his life and he said no he just started 3 years ago......which was also a little suspious. I think he had been racing for many years and he was just pulling my chain.

Needless to say I was impressed at how that SS Camaro was keeping up with my SGT with the Whipple 550 on it. I also have one-peice alumimum driveshaft, Shelby axle girdle, Baer 6P brakes with hawk DTC pads, full ford racing suspension, Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger, STEEDA caster and camber plates, NT01 Race tires...........but my car is a vert so that does slow it down a tad.

Actually its not the vert part its the blue part Chad, that and the guy psyched ya! :hysterical:

3605lbs with me in the car as listed in signature below as weighed at a state of WA certified scale....over 550 crank HP per dyno. And thats with the heavy saleen 19" wheels.....

Whose talking 12 GT's around here?.....:hysterical:

So thats the facts as I know em....like I said the new Camaro is going to be interesting.

The weigh scales must be wrong, either that or you weigh zero pounds.

Well perhaps WA state has an incorrect scale. I weigh 215 and I am 6 foot 3.

I am relating what the scale said. It was not a race scale. If anyone around Seattle wants to let me use a 4 corner race scale I'd love it.

I am just telling you what I experienced.

That and most cars are in my way, typically.

Well perhaps WA state has an incorrect scale. I weigh 215 and I am 6 foot 3.

I am relating what the scale said. It was not a race scale. If anyone around Seattle wants to let me use a 4 corner race scale I'd love it.

I am just telling you what I experienced.

That and most cars are in my way, typically.

I believe the 07 GT had a curb weight of 3450. Your weight would bring it in at 3665, then add the weight of the SC.

I believe the 07 GT had a curb weight of 3450. Your weight would bring it in at 3665, then add the weight of the SC.

Well I looked in my logbook, thats what the scale said....pre- BREMBO's though my error....this is a scale used to charge people money for weight so it is checked by the state, it may be wrong I have no idea....tell you what I will re-weigh the car as I am curious after the Brembos as well and take a picture of the reading. With me in the car.

Again if anyone has a race scale with 4 pads I will buy the beer...

The point is the SGT is lighter than a 500 and the new Camaro...my experince on track days (as limited as that has been) has been that a new "track pack" 500 is simply in the way...

The SGT/SC is a nasty little beast, try one...all the hp in the world don't matter until you can use it...the whipple makes the car really quick and I seriously cannot drive well enough to notice a degradation in cornering or the extra weight of the whipple whatever that is.

Remember you remove a lot of crap when you install a whipple as well, strut bar and those flap valves and motor under the intake. I have a Weiand 177 on a shelf and it is lighter than it looks even with the BB Chev manifold.

We will see I will re-weigh the car. Maybe its the helium in the tires...science its real...:hysterical:

Phew, good thing I didnt take my NA Mustang to brainard this year :drool:

Well I looked in my logbook, thats what the scale said....pre- BREMBO's though my error....this is a scale used to charge people money for weight so it is checked by the state, it may be wrong I have no idea....tell you what I will re-weigh the car as I am curious after the Brembos as well and take a picture of the reading. With me in the car.

Again if anyone has a race scale with 4 pads I will buy the beer...

The point is the SGT is lighter than a 500 and the new Camaro...my experince on track days (as limited as that has been) has been that a new "track pack" 500 is simply in the way...

The SGT/SC is a nasty little beast, try one...all the hp in the world don't matter until you can use it...the whipple makes the car really quick and I seriously cannot drive well enough to notice a degradation in cornering or the extra weight of the whipple whatever that is.

Remember you remove a lot of crap when you install a whipple as well, strut bar and those flap valves and motor under the intake. I have a Weiand 177 on a shelf and it is lighter than it looks even with the BB Chev manifold.

We will see I will re-weigh the car. Maybe its the helium in the tires...science its real...:hysterical:

With the wrong driver, maybe :D

With the wrong driver, maybe :D

Perhaps. But I think the average driver could lap faster in a SGT/SC.

Now your race prepped 500 thats a different story.

But I still like my car better than a 500. To each his own I suppose I also have a soft spot for old leaky vintage air cooled motorcycles...no biggie.

Everyone is on an on about the new body being so much better handling, yet it is based on the generation before so anybody know what makes it so superior?

Just curious?

I believe in 2010 the front suspension was changed slightly, I don't remember what the differences were, but I remember seeing illustrations of the underbody with redesigned parts highlighted.

I also believe that the 2010 is more structurally rigid than previous models, and the '11-12 even stiffer.

Perhaps. But I think the average driver could lap faster in a SGT/SC.

Now your race prepped 500 thats a different story.

But I still like my car better than a 500. To each his own I suppose I also have a soft spot for old leaky vintage air cooled motorcycles...no biggie.

Everyone is on an on about the new body being so much better handling, yet it is based on the generation before so anybody know what makes it so superior?

Just curious?

SVTP i believ has different spring rates and shocks along with the less weight over the front wheels. Its better handling from the factory, not something that cant be changed on earlier models

Archived