TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need stiffer suspension

Rev Dennis

I recently bought a 2008 Shelby GT.

Driving that makes me realize what a freakin' "Boat" my GT500 is with stock suspension. It's like driving a Cadillac!

If I want a suspension commensurate with the engine performance what is the preferred route to go?

Stiffer Lower Springs

Will the above help or do I need a complete suspension redo?

What is this FR-3 they talk about?

I live in SE PA so names of shops that do this kind of work in my area are appreciated.

Thanks to all.

:)

I recently bought a 2008 Shelby GT.

Driving that makes me realize what a freakin' "Boat" my GT500 is with stock suspension. It's like driving a Cadillac!

If I want a suspension commensurate with the engine performance what is the preferred route to go?

Stiffer Lower Springs

Will the above help or do I need a complete suspension redo?

What is this FR-3 they talk about?

I live in SE PA so names of shops that do this kind of work in my area are appreciated.

Thanks to all.

:)

Go to www.fordracingparts.com, select your model year and spend money. The FR-3 kit is the suspension pack, located in the Chassis tab, first or second item depending on convertible or coupe. I'm not sure if it applies to the GT500 though...

I have a 09 and a 2011 Super Snake I have been trying to get an answer to this question for over a year. I would suggest researching Griggs Racing suspensions and Reven Racing on line. I have looked at the shelby Eibach and Ford racing suspensions and the Fays Watts link. I would recommend a Watts link but there are different types. Apparently Eibach makes the Ford Racing suspension and to upgrade to an Eibach may be marginal for dollars spent. I have a Ford Racing with Fays Watts link on Super Snake. It is much stiffer but some say the Eibach is better and others say not that much difference. Unfortunatly when you ask any one from Shelby about Griggs racing they will tell you Griggs is not in business. I'm installing a complete front and rear GR 40 TT, go look at it on line , I will know more in a couple days when I pick it up. So they are in business and doing well.

Here is some things to think about, The new shelby's come with a performance suspension upgrade option they call the SVT Performance package, At shelby of America in Vegas they replace some of that with the Ford Racing Racing suspension or for 1000.00 you can upgrade to the Eibach System and you can add the Fay's Watts link to either for 1500.00 . Now the 302 comes out with an adjustable suspension to change the stiffness of the ride for track use which I believe is close if not identical to the SVT suspension upgrade on GT 500 , the 302 also has the Torsin Differential which helps getting the power to the correct wheel in a turn. The 100K Shelby Super Snake doesn't have this as an option. To get the Torsin Differential you can send to the Shelby Speed Shop to do a anti wheel hop upgrade that the speed shop says will take a Super Snake to the ultimate corner carving super machine. I was broke after the 1st 100K and could not afford another 3700.00 to get the ultimate suspension for my super car.

Not sue that helps you or only confusses you more but as usuall the more ya learn the more ya relize how little you know and in this case how little everyone knows. Egos and money makes it hard to get a straight answer.

Good Luck !

Let's scope the original poster's needs. There's a great difference between wanting a tighter handling street car that handles closer to the Shelby GT vs. a track car. The shopping list in #13 above will cost quite a bit. it'll be a rocket, but perhaps overkill for what the customer really wants.

So the real question is whether there is a GT500 compatible FR-3 kit from Ford Racing?

Archived