TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guys need some advice please.

le26

i posted this in the Mods forum first but some of you might be able to help so, I thought i would give it a shot.

Ok guys I need some advise here. Well i don't know where to start....So from the top.

First let me say this....I love this car... I mean really really love this car, It feels awesome, Sounds awesome, and looks like it wants to jump up and punch me in the mouth. Again, i really love this car!

But I have a pretty big problem now and need some advise about how to go about fixing it.

I went to a local Ford dealership to get my car inspected along with a squeaky belt looked at. Dropped it off promptly at 8 in the morning to ensure I had time to put the face time washing it for a Saturday night drive. The service manager came over asked me very sharply what it was I needed, which of course was inspection, take a look at the belts because i thought one of them might be just a tab loose, and take a glance at the brakes just in case. ( Safety first right!). The gentleman said yep no problem" and started filling out the paper work. He told me to pop the hood, "Alright i get to show off the motor! Which of course is the best part!" so with great pride i bend down to pull the hood release lever and heard the little "pop" sound I have come to love so much.He yanks the hood up, puts the prop rod up "kinda harshly i might add" Walks around the car, feels the tires, Takes notes of how many miles are on the car, walks back around to the front and slams the hood closed. I say "slams" being a car guy I push the hood shut. But i figure this guy isn't a tech he just deals with the customers, so I let it go. There was a brief discussion about how much the inspection would run me and that he would give me a call about the belt before any work was done.... So I went about my day as i always do on Saturdays... lunch, visiting with the girlfriends parents, making time to call my mother.."we all know how that goes" and of course picturing the events of the night to come and how much fun it will be. By 2 p.m. I hadn't heard anything so I get the the girlfriend to call and see how things are progressing..... no status..... 6 hours is along time to get an inspection and squeaky belt looked at.... but i figured they were just busy and even still maybe it was done and just hadn't called me yet. Well at 3:30 i go up there to see whats going on. Walk in the door and straight to the lady behind the desk I go. She knew my name before I had a chance to say anything and told me the service rep. wasn't at his desk right now and that they would be with me shortly....

The next 10 mins. were like being in the twilight zone.

Service techs were walking by whispering to each other. Service reps wouldn't even look at me. The cashiers were oddly and overly chipper with other customers. ........... Right about here is where my heart was sinking and my pulse racing.

The rep came over and said "What was the name again?" I gave it. and he said "oh yeah the Super Snake right?, i didn't realize just what a special car you got there" again pretty odd being I'm at a dealership and not on idk.... say the red planet... Anyway..

He said he would go back and check on it and give him a min.... so i sat there... for 15 mins. When he came back he said "Well its back there but we haven't been able to do anything with it you'll have to leave it a couple of days".........and of course i was thinking "OK no" ........ he said "they would provide a loner car till the service was complete." Yep a loner car to complete a inspection... my jaw dropped....

As nice as humanly possible i told him I had plans with this car tonight and Sunday. I also asked why it took from 8 to now to do nothing... and why he was trying to give me a loner car to drive.

He didn't answer me...

I told him to bring my car around and tell me what the deal was. He said they are running the inspection now and would bring it when they were done and handed me the service bill. I went to the cashier who asked my name...... mind you this is the same lady who knew my name when i walked in.... and said that will be 90 something dollars.. for a inspection i thought?!? But then she said you will have to bring it back because it didn't pass.

Natural conversation. " Why didn't it pass"..... because it says here you need to drive it 30 miles....."'why do i need to drive it"...... the computer needs to cycle just leave it with us a few days.... "Did you take the battery out?"........ yes they had to take it out.... "so why are you charging me for a failed inspection when you took the battery out"........ because you failed the inspection... "but if you took the battery out for work you didn't do and work i didn't ask for that caused my computer to be reset how is that my fault?...........if you don't pay we cant give you the car............

i paid the 90 bucks......yes i know its expensive...and no i don't know what the other charge was for because the service slip on the inspection says the normal price. i just wanted my car

(smart cashier by the way)

They brought the car around... well some kid did anyway

Glad to have my car back and it being PM i just wanted to get my night started. i drove off...... down the street....... approx. one driveway........... and turned right back into the dealership.....and straitght to the service department.

The service rep came out and said what seems to be the problem.... and here is where I need you guys to help me.

My clutch is way way to light.

There is a looseness in the shifter. i could feel "and hear" the transmission moving when i went over the speed bump in the parking lot as well as I believe the suspension bottomed out... which is not normal of course.

And a giant drop of power.

He said i should leave it a few days that it was probably just the computer resetting and it had to map.... and they didn't touch the clutch... drive it over the weekend and see if doesn't get better....he went and got one of the techs who said this car is really hard to work on..... and the tech was very vocal in trying to explain that there are different stations the car goes to in the shop.......... after he popped the hood that they had to put brake fluid in the brakes because it was really low..... so that maybe there was air in the line... again i thought no work was done. i had the car a week maybe two. How can it be low?

no answer

I told him to tell me what they did and explained that along with every other car guy in the world i know when things are not right with the car that i have worked so very hard to get.... he said he understood and that there is nothing he could do except for me to leave the car there.

not knowing what to do i drove off

exactly one driveway and turned back in

Went back to service and all the doors where locked. There was one service rep walking out and i caught him... He asked what the problem was...

i gave him what had happened that day. He said he didn't know anything about the car he just needed to run get the paper work. Came back and said that the service department did no work on the vehicle and that I failed the inspection. Later in the conversation he proceeded to tell me these things

1. The clutch was fried when i took it in. (How would you know that?)

2. That the car shouldn't be on the street anyway its a race car. Yeah it says street legal but its a track car-------------------- that is exactly what he said. Thats a personal preference if you ask me. :>

3. Proceeded to tell me how to operate a clutch. And tell me that the clutch in the car was for racing only.... (he might have a point if you didn't know how to drive, or that you never driven a standard, or knew what one was, but we all go buy expensive, extremely fast, collector cars from racing legends both Shelby and Ford when we don't have a clue how to drive right?. Besides how exactly did he know what particular kind of clutch i had?

4. That it was what i get for having mods on the car and Ford Racing would tell me the same.---------------- (Very Very hard for me to think they would think the same way hence the "racing" piece)

And here is what the email is all leading up to.......

After driving the car directly to my house there are alot of very suspect things. The question is were do i go to get it straightened out? Do i really need to send it back to NV to get the once over?

I really don't know what to do from here so any advise would be awesome. Why were they so vocal about me driving 30 miles.

More importantly does anyone know where I can get an inspection without having to worry about this happening again? Once i get it back that is.

What year is your SS?

Are you the original owner?

Do you have the "official" Shelby Super Snake manual? There is important warranty and specific service information in it.

Was this your first experience with this Ford dealership?

I would ask some of the Texas TS members for another dealership or another Mustang performance service center recommendation.

If you have the 725 SS, then really, not much is covered under the Ford factory warranty.

This sounds like a 90.00 life lesson.

Good luck.

One thing that struck me as odd was how the car drove after you picked it up. It obviously didn't drive like that on the way to the dealership? Did you happen do notice how many miles were on the car before and after the visit? If you feel as if this dealership did anything to harm your car I would definitely call the better business bureau and report it because something sounds shady for sure. What city in Texas was this?

Shelby American would most likely be able to repair the car but you'd be paying a lot for it. There is no telling what went on while you were away, I hope you can resolve the issue without much hassle and good luck to you.

One thing that struck me as odd was how the car drove after you picked it up. It obviously didn't drive like that on the way to the dealership? Did you happen do notice how many miles were on the car before and after the visit? If you feel as if this dealership did anything to harm your car I would definitely call the better business bureau and report it because something sounds shady for sure. What city in Texas was this?

Shelby American would most likely be able to repair the car but you'd be paying a lot for it. There is no telling what went on while you were away, I hope you can resolve the issue without much hassle and good luck to you.

Agreed.You've pretty much messed up the situation by not staying with your car and chose to hang out with your girlfriend,instead.I won't have done that giant mistake.Personally,when I drop my car off at the dealership,I never respond to ANY calls,be it my girlfriend or parents.I just watch the car being done for hours.Reason? I always get premonitions of a similar situation you've undergone and I am so scared to leave my love there, ALL ALONE!!

As for your problem,most of the people do the same mistake as yourself,by not holding the manager by neck and threatening him to drag into consumer courts.I've seen a similar situation where the owner was kinda 'crazy for my car' guy and he was so angry on feeling his car lighter than ever before,after the service,that he stormed into the manager's room and threatened him to give all his original components back.Believe me he scared the sh!t out of him and then they went into the garage.30 mins. later I saw him driving off (more like enjoying) in his ride again.

I'd recommend you rush your car to SAI for checkup and complain about the dealership ASAP or it may be too late.If they've removed major parts,you're left with nothing but a normal GT500 (or even worse),with original SS emblems/logos in it which isn't worth many bucks.

First, where in Texas are you and what dealership did you take it to?

Second, do you know the milage when you dropped it off vs. when you picked it up?

Third, information on how many miles, owners and mods is extremely helpful.

Feel free to PM me and we can discuss this further if you dont want to do it online.

Sean

The drop in power is probably where they reflashed your computer. (Tune)

Same thing happened to mine AFTER I EXPLICITLY told them to not even attempt to hook a computer to the car. They reset all my fuel ratios back to the stock gt500 levels. To fix this I had to get with Shelby and have the car flash tuned again to restore Shelby 's tune.

Some of the dealerships are really idiots when it comes to our Shelbys.

Hope everything works out for you man.

you guys are probably right and it is my mistake... trust me it wont happen again... ever.... i mean ever.... again.

to answer the questions mines a 07 they bought it from off the showroom floor in Dec of 06 in the d/fw..... never been to the dealer...( not even for the free first tank of gas let alone for any of warranty letters) more on that later. I'm kicking myself in the *%&%$^$ every night now.

there were 2 miles difference between drop off and pickup.... to be honest i expect people to wonder what it will do...The problem i have is just don't lie to me about it... I mean I am pretty square man. A simple "hey man this happened or I didn't realize yadda yadda yadda would have been soooooo much easier. Then it would have been "ok well lets fix it and move on" its not like i have never messed anything up before. Or had my head in my.... well you get the point.... I tell people at work that same thing all the time. The only reason I'm any better at my job than the next guy is I have made more mistakes and in turn learned the lessons earlier on than some and will more than likely make many more. But to start insulting my driving or lack there of sent me into orbit. And yes houston we had a problem. I wanted to find the nearest wrench and flash to a night at the track. "We used to call it Saturday night at the fights". More than that.... to me he just insulted the person who taught me drive.

i went in the dealership that day in a tank top, baggy, jeans, a hoodie "my Shelby one if I'm not mistaken" over my shoulder. Not to mention I'm fairly young. So the "Whats that punk doing in a car like that" came into play to play I'm sure. I do that for a reason believe it or not. (The first of course is I hate being uncomfortable on my day off) The other is that it shows if you work hard you can reach your goals no matter what other people tell you. i have more "younger" people approach me asking what it is i do for work and about the car and can they take a picture. Work questions usually come in the form of what school i went to.... the answer to that was i didn't (after High school anyway....) you should see the looks i get over that one.

Here is the other reason, the day we went to buy the car the dealership....(yes the same one) ignored my family for probably a few hours..... My father was in painter whites i think and it was a ranger or montecarlo they pulled up in... Might have been his work truck and oh lord guys if you saw that truck its pretty rough to say the least. (the exterior anyway)... i still don't know how you can put a 85 diesel in a 67 truck much less have the patience to tear it down and rebuild it again because it wouldn't start. He gets stopped now and again by mechanics that realizes just how hard that really is.

Sorry to get off topic.... anyway as they were about to leave a kid probably very early 20's (if that) ask if they needed help. Being the people they are... that kid got to sell the car... the other guys (salesman) tried to step in but we made sure that kid got the credit. Supremely nervous kid let me tell you

I'm sending the car off more because i don't know if its the way it was intended to be. IF they messed with the suspension did they put it on the scale to see if the balance was right? I don't want to wanna play around one day just to have the right get more traction than the left and find a wall. IF they jacked with the brakes all it takes is a little missed detail or missing a torque somewhere and it goes bad fast. Lastly i don't want to shell a clutch and have a mortar round go off in the car. I want to drive the car.I have all kinds of respect for the detail show-guys have and the painstaking research they go through. But this guy in Texas means really really drive the car. I trust the guys at SAI to a degree that is really only surpassed by very few.

I

I suspect alot of things but before i go into all the details on this board and what dealer it was besides not all are bad, i want to have it checked out.... and most important of all I just want to have it fixed... i have had it setup for transport and already cant wait to get it back.

(on a side note have any of you guys read the Kenne Bell install manual? Its actually pretty funny.)

What year is your SS?

Are you the original owner?

Do you have the "official" Shelby Super Snake manual? There is important warranty and specific service information in it.

Was this your first experience with this Ford dealership?

I would ask some of the Texas TS members for another dealership or another Mustang performance service center recommendation.

If you have the 725 SS, then really, not much is covered under the Ford factory warranty.

This sounds like a 90.00 life lesson.

Good luck.

MANUAL!!!!!!!!!.........WHAT MANUAL??????

Is there a MANUAL???? I picked mine up on June 4th and never got one!

Congrats on getting your SS .............. :rockon: .

The comments regarding the manual are a bit of a joke with the SS owners. SA has stated one is being put together but we haven't seen it yet.

Good things come to those that wait.

Archived