TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 or Shelby GT/SC?

Rev Dennis

I put this somewhere else that probably was a dead end thread. Sorry if this is improper to re post. I have a GT500 as a garage queen and am thinking of upgrading my daily driver from a v6 to something a little more spunky. Possibly a GT500 Coupe. I am addicted to the power! :) I see Shelby GTs in the high 20's and am confused. thus the following post.....

OK, help me understand something......

You can get a low mileage GT500 with a supercharger, Brembo brakes, a 6 speed and a 5.4 Liter twin cam motor in the low to mid 30s. Why would a Shelby GT go for $28K to $30k? Personal preference maybe? For 5K more I would get a GT500. What am I missing?

Lots more torque (and 400 more lbs. - I know) Not good for the track maybe, but how many actually track their cars?

Adding a SC to a GT is still not a GT500.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I put this somewhere else that probably was a dead end thread. Sorry if this is improper to re post. I have a GT500 as a garage queen and am thinking of upgrading my daily driver from a v6 to something a little more spunky. Possibly a GT500 Coupe. I am addicted to the power! :) I see Shelby GTs in the high 20's and am confused. thus the following post.....

OK, help me understand something......

You can get a low mileage GT500 with a supercharger, Brembo brakes, a 6 speed and a 5.4 Liter twin cam motor in the low to mid 30s. Why would a Shelby GT go for $28K to $30k? Personal preference maybe? For 5K more I would get a GT500. What am I missing?

Lots more torque (and 400 more lbs. - I know) Not good for the track maybe, but how many actually track their cars?

Adding a SC to a GT is still not a GT500.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Wanna race? :hysterical:

I will speak for the Shelby GT/SC, no chance I would trade this for a GT500, especially a 2007-2010. I would bet in the future Shelby GT's will be more expensive than the GT500 because they are limited and built at Shelby, not on a Ford assembly line with the Shelby Name on them. That is just the Shelby GT, the Shelby GT/SC done at a mod shop has to be one of the rarest Shelby's with the highest performance of its time. My opinion is the Shelby GT is the best looking Mustang since the 60's. Combine that and the fact that for the same price of a GT500 I can get a Shelby GT/SC and I was sold. I like rare cars and prefer handling over comfortable rides.

This is just my opinion, you need to get what you like. As for the minimal price difference it is all about supply and demand, not what they went for new. I feel terrible for all the folks that paid those ridiculous ADM's, I got mine for x-plan and 0% over 60 months.

No argument with either post. But put your foot on the accelerator, then talk to me. At 60 years old I no longer try to see how deep I can go into the corners, although that was once my game. The nerve endings in my behind fail me. My Lotus Europa Twin Cam was perhaps my favorite toy at one time. You did not drive it - you wore it. That was then, this is now. Now the acceleration of a good amount of torque still puts a smile on my face.

I am looking at this tomorrow.

GT500 in Delaware

What do YOU THINK is an appropriate figure $ on this?

Add mods and a Very good driver and a GT500 will be faster, stock with comparable drivers no chance it is close to a GT/SC. And I am not talking about around curves.

Again the GT500 is a great car, I just chose the GT/SC. I do not track either, if I did I would not have picked either.

I may be a little out of whack but in my view...... a 2007 GT500 has approx 500 HP at the crank... a 2007 Shelby GT/SC has approx 550 at the crank (with a Whipple 550). The GT500 sits on a stock Mustang suspension, the Shelby GT is lowered with the oversize sway bars so it will out handle a "stock" GT500. As Carnut said they made far less Shelby GT's and even fewer GT/SC so therefore they are rarer, and "should" hold their value better. I know I will get flamed but this is just my opinion.... I guess I'm a little predjuiced.....

The GT500 has a hand built 5.4 L engine, 6 speed, & I believe heavier suspension than an ordinary production Mustang . In 2005 Shelby spent over a week in Dearborn with SVT going over what the new Shelby G.T 500 would consist of in looks & performance.

Yes it was built in Dearborn , but i believe that is were all the Shelby G.T s were built before being mod at SAI.

That being said they are both great cars & I love them all ,wished I could own one of each year & model.

AND YES DOOGIE YOU ARE PREDJUICED.:hysterical:

lets make it simple.

GT500=Not from Shelby, from ford and there is alot of them.

Shelby GT=From Shelby and are rare.

Why pay like 40g for a gt500 and its was never done by Shelby.spend 28 on shelby gt spend another 10 you can get 550hp at the crank while the gt500 is heavy and only has 500hp at the crank.

IMO i think the shelby gt would be a better deal. I drove both they really nice.

Im not bashing the GT500, i drive my step brothers GT500 and he loves it and im sure he would say the same thing.

I see merits on each platform.

Here is a Shelby GT that could use brakes and a SC. Low mileage. A unique tan interior. What do you think this is worth?

Shelby GT that needs brakes and a SC

I would start at $25,000.... from reading the descriptions real quick I could see no mileage listed, all the other stuff is cut and paste and incidently incorrect! So they obviously don't know what they have! They show a spoiler, and fog lights, 17" tires on painted rims..... :doh: stealerships.... :rant2:

• 7 months later...

GT all the way. CSM numbered, rare,purpose built,best looking stang since 60's Shelby's. They are also sleepers. I like that. GT500's are nice no doubt about it. If Ford would have kept production numbers in check. Over time I think the desirabily will fall back on the few remaining quality GT's.

• 1 month later...

They're all great cars, it just depends what you want to do with them. If you want the very best bang for your buck, buy a Shelby GT or the new GTS. The SGTs come with the Ford Racing suspension which makes it a great corner-carver. You'll just need to upgrade the brakes and possibly add a supercharger if you need the extra power. The GT500 is a great value as it was designed from the ground-up by SVT and Carroll Shelby to be a Cobra Mustang. It has the 4V supercharged 5.4 and an SVT-tuned suspension that handles good but can also be upgraded with the Ford Racing (KR) suspension to hang with the SGTs in the corners. A simple tune and pulley mod gains about 110whp. Add an aftermarket supercharger for astronomical HP, something not easily done with the 3V engine. If you want a return on your investment, I believe neither car will be worth more than the other in the long run, just as the '65-'67s are not viewed today as any more or less Shelby's than the '68-'70s. The current GT500s are built at Ford from the ground-up to be Shelbys and the SGTs were converted into them at SA which makes them both unique vehicles in their own way. I would love to own at least one of each.

Edit: spelling

This just came up in the unread posts list and has been discussed at length many times, but here is my summary:

First, you have to equalize the competition, so you have to compare a GT500 with a GT/SC. Paxton's don't count here - this is the FRPP or Kenne Bell. +12K.

Now you've got roughly equal power, it's how you handle it. The GT comes with the handling pack. It lowers the car and makes it a cornering monster. The GT500 is what the name says - a touring car and rides like one. The GT suspension makes it "stiff" but oh-so-responsive. Put the handling on the GT500, +3K?

Exhaust tones are personal preferences and people change both. Doesn't count.

Now you've got about the same car. Fairly equal power at the wheels, and the same suspension.

So here's what I saw as the difference.

If you want room to grow, take the GT500. The GT500 is entry level from the factory. You can put blowers up to 725+HP on the stock internals. The Shelby GT with the supercharger is at the end of it's limits - it's thought to be limited to about 600HP with stock internals (and maybe even less if you're not careful - ask Jeff), but if that's all you want then you're there.

Total outlay is about the same.

The story changed big time in 2012 with the aluminum block engine and the addition of the suspension packs.

The 2013 GT500 blows them all away.

Archived