TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brakes and suspension

qwk08snk

here's where I am on the rear end clunk and 373 gear whine. Both topics have been beaten to death. I have a 2008 gt500, installed BMR LCA adjustable UCA ( and bracket c/w bolt )and adjustable panhard bar. Car is lowered with eibach prokit.and Magnaflow cat backs Engine has cai and steeda pulley with steeda tune. Makes 547hp at rear wheels. Have nitto nto5r's on rear, stock size.Car always had a slight clunk when changing gears or when on or off throttle, nothing that concerned me. Performance cars make noise I guess. The real noise started after the installation of the UCA. While in the process of resolving this problem I had 373 gears installed .Big mistake. The noise from the gears was so bad you could'nt hear the clunking. Dealer did everything with the gears with no luck> Said gears were defective. I had'nt left the dealership yet so I called Ford Racing. They said too bad but would analyse gears if I sent them back for analysis. Two weeks later they called and said gears were ok and that installation was bad. Dealer disagreed - go figure. Ford Racing did give me a credit for the gears. In the meantime the rear end whine was driving me nuts so I bite the bullet and bought a new complete rear axle complete with 373 gears. Takes the dealer gear installation out of the picture. Dealer installed rear axle. When we got old axle out we decided to install a new uca axle bushing rather tha play with used parts. Guess what?...loud clunk is gone. There is still a light clunk but nothing like before and the axle noise has disappeared.There is a slight whine but with all the suspension mods I expect some noise. I knew the whine would go away but getting rid of the clunk was unexpected. We had checked everything except that bushing. $34 for the bushing and clunk gone. Now I can sleep at night instead of being po with shelby-dealer and Ford Racing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this information with the forum. It was a tough lesson to learn but @ the end it was sorted out. You may have saved some forum members aggregation by putting this out. Sounds like the fix was possibly a combination of the axle replacement & the bushing?

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Moncho

• 1 month later...

Archived