TEAM SHELBY FORUM

O'Meara Ford

backafter20

I stopped into O’Meara Ford, just north of Denver, Colorado, the other day. I knew I shouldn’t. I’ve had bad luck there before, and can’t stand the attitude the salesmen have, but they do have a nice selection of Shelbys, Roush, and custom Mustangs, and I wanted to see a Boss Laguna Seca in person. Bad idea.

The visitor parking lot was mostly empty. When I pulled in, I noticed a dozen bored-to-death salesmen standing all around the perimeter. They were spaced out, like they had ownership of six or eight parking spots, and anyone parking in their spots belonged to them. They all smiled and encouraged me to park in their spots. I had a salesman at my window before I could get out of the car.

“You trading that in?” My daily driver is a 2008 Shelby GT. No, it’s not a trade-in, I just wanted to see a Laguna Seca in person. His eyes light up, and he leads the way. The red wheels look better in person, not as gaudy as I once thought. He starts gushing about how “cool” it is. Like I don’t know that. He then says that when I buy it, I’ll get 3 days at the racetrack of my choice, and a special track key that makes the car go faster. It begins... :rolleyes: I tell him that you only get one day, and you don’t get to pick the track. I also mention that you have to pay extra for the track key, and that no Boss owner has received theirs yet. He looks confused, and runs to get his manager. The manager looks all of 24 years old, shakes my hand and starts by asking how many miles are on my Shelby GT. I hesitantly tell him 20k, and he says it’s high time for a trade in. He points to a GT500, and suggests I get a "REAL Shelby”. :nonono: You gotta be kidding! I tell him the difference between the two and tell him not to give me that “REAL” crap. In frustration, he walks away. The original guy then follows me out the door, telling me that I had better get a muscle-car soon. I bite, and ask why. He says that Ford is discontinuing all of their V8 engines, and the Mustang and even the trucks will only be available with a V6 very soon. I act shocked, and, thinking he’s getting somewhere with me, he adds, “Yeah, even the Corvette will only have a V6.” I’m not sure if he knew that was a Chevy or not. :glare:

Seriously, how do they stay in business? They wanted 20k over sticker on the Boss, and 10K over sticker on the GT500. They are supposed to be a high-volume dealer, but IMO, you’d have to be stupid, uninformed, or too rich to care about price to buy anything from them. You’d also have to be either thick-skinned or naïve not to be offended by their arrogance and lies.

I was there before I got my 08 SGT, looking at an 07 SGT. They had an ad saying, “Buy any leftover 07 Mustang, and get a free supercharger.” The salesbutt I talked to claimed it didn’t include the Shelby GT. The fine print disagreed. He finally said, “Look, you can’t put a supercharger on a Shelby. It’s a classic! You only get the supercharger if you pay full price for a regular Mustang, and then it comes in a box. We aren’t going to install it for you.” I asked him why he was asking 5k over sticker on a leftover 07 in May of 08 when I could get a better deal on the 08 elsewhere. He said, “No you can’t.” I told him I already had an offer of invoice on an 08. He said, “What are you doing here then? Leave and go buy that one.” I did, for under invoice. What a great sales technique! :headscratch:

O’meara Ford. Neat cars to look at, but wear hip boots and keep both hands on your wallet.

Isn't it amazing that a dealership survives the way most of them operate?

IMO, if I owned a Ford dealership, I would have at least one salesman that knows Mustangs inside and out.

A Chebby dealer should have salesman that knows about the Camero/Vette.

A Fiat dealer needs a salesman that knows about the Charger/Challenger.

Fortunately, my local Ford dealer has several employees that are pony owners both vintage and new. So, they are well versed on the Mustangs. Plus the parts guy is my neighbor.

Too bad your encounter wasn't recorded. It would probably be a hit on You Tube.

:runaway:

The reason they have a lot full of high perfomance cars is they can`t sell them.

No, that's the scary part. They are one of the number one volume sales dealers of Boss', Roush's, and Shelby's. They even have their own in house mod shops that does all sorts of custom body/paint and performance. I have no idea how, as their sales staff is very clueless when it comes to these cars. At least the one's I've talked to. Heck my budy has a Mustang he bought there that he paid over $80K for. All built at O'meara. It has a full custom body including Lambo doors, chrome everywhere, custom paint. Not my style really, but it wins best of show in about everything it is in. It's even on a bunch of posters that I've even seen at Wal Mart. It's the poster that has the sleazy looking hot chick cop getting out of a huge F600 truck made up like a cop car, behind the orange custom Mustang. Both of the vehicles in that poster were built at O'meara. Crazy.......

See this website for some of their stuff.

http://omearacarcandy.com/

Here's the poster I was looking for:

hot-chicks-mustangs.jpg

Wouldn't buy a car from them or let them touch my car! I lived up by the dealership a few years back and they tried to tell me that my wifes Expedition needed a complete brake (front/rear) job. Quoted me a price of over $1,000. Yeah no thanks drove it to a friend and had them look at it. Nothing wrong with the brakes they still had plenty of life left in them. I've also heard from another Shelby owner that several clients have caught their techs hot rodding customer cars. Not a classy dealership in my book.

If they keep giving customers a line and selling Mustangs over sticker, then that just keeps the value of our cars higher. They sure are not the only dealer that does or did not know a thing about the Shelby GT. But the salesman you talked to will not be selling cars long, with his attitude..

I really don't know of a Ford dealer I trust in town in every area. I have had good luck and have not heard any complaints about Formby which is up north off of I-25 and Hywy 52, buy I've never bought a car from there. I have had bad luck with service at Sill-Terhar in Broomfield in their service dept. They wanted to charge my brother over $6K on his SVT Contour for a new transmission and shifter when all that was wrong was a broken $2.50 bolt in the shift tower inside the tranny, which I told them about. Needless to say, I spent $2.50 and a few hours of work and his car was good to go. Sill Terhar does have a very knowledgable SVT and performance salesman however, Ralph. He is good and very nice and reasonable. Sill Terhar also sells a bunch of Shelby's and has an amazing dealership, they are also the main sponsor of the Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up and have been for many years. Jack Terhar is a great guy. Down south, I know many people who have purchased vehicles with good luck at Phil Long, but they are also crazy on ADM's. However if you work hard enough, you can get out with sticker. Also our Mustang Club meets there and has been sponsored for years by Phil Long. I have heard about others having issues however. But if you say that you're with the Denver Mustang Club, they will take care of you and treat you different at times. We also get a pretty awsome discount on parts there. Terry in parts will hook you up every time. So as with all dealers, it depends on who you talk to at the time. With O'meara's sales numbers history, they must do something right sometimes. They were the only dealer around who had some parts for my 7.3 re-install last weekend that I needed in a hurry. Last week at Brighton Ford, while I was there getting parts, a couple sales guys were checking out my Mark VIII and one of them was telling the other, yea that has the 4.6L 4 cam motor in it, but it is smaller than the one which was in the Cobra Mustang.....doh.... :doh:

My car was sent there 2 times for work on the scoop and the hood stripes and both times it came back wose finally gave up on the stripes and that any Ford dealership in Colorado can do anything on our SGT's...ingnorance of these dealers is amazing!!!!

That's not what I wanted to hear, Mick. My last shot at new stripes is the Regional Service Manager, who is working on getting me a complete stripe re-do. He thinks that, considering their experience, O'Meara is the dealership to do the work. It's not approved yet, but if it is, he wants O'Meara. That stinks to hear of your experience. The salesmen are horrible, but it did seem like the body shop people were not only reasonable to work with, but also very knowledgeable.

Jim

the salesmen don't know anything about cars, just shifty car-sales techniques.

Never believe anything they say. Everything that comes out of their mouths is slanted into their favor. Every price the say is a lie and you are required to lowball them on everything.

I was lied to by the last guy who sold me my SGT about 12 times. Next car purchase I will be bringing along Don Rickles to insult them!

What's the difference between a dead raccoon in the road and a dead car salesman? There's skid marks in front of the dead raccoon!

What's the difference between a dead raccoon in the road and a dead car salesman? There's skid marks in front of the dead raccoon!

No matter what car we have had, when taking it to the dealership for service or whatever the reason as soon as

you pull into the driveway and park the sales people start migrating towards you.

My wife and I call them vultures. If we have to drop off or pick up a car the other vehicle parks out on the street.

Even that does not always work... "hi, just here to pick up my car... as they start to swarm, here come the vultures...

CC

That's not what I wanted to hear, Mick. My last shot at new stripes is the Regional Service Manager, who is working on getting me a complete stripe re-do. He thinks that, considering their experience, O'Meara is the dealership to do the work. It's not approved yet, but if it is, he wants O'Meara. That stinks to hear of your experience. The salesmen are horrible, but it did seem like the body shop people were not only reasonable to work with, but also very knowledgeable.

Jim

Jim,

I had my done through Western Slope Auto in Grand Junction and they use a local body shop. The shop is Perris Autobody. They did great work.

Can't remember where I read this, but the newsletter advised to NEVER deal with a salesperson...deal DIRECTLY with the internet group at the dealership that is not on commission.

That works if you know exactly what you want from their inventory or want to order... Fleet sales will usually not nurse you through the decision process nor take you for lots of test drives. If you want "support" they will generally refer you to the regular sales group. In 2004 I bought my truck from fleet at a Vegas dealer for 4000 under what they were selling for in the Denver area. I searched their inventory on line, called Mr. Fleet Guy, told himwhich stock number I wanted, that I was an out of state cash buyer, asked him to quote me a "don't play with my mind" price [in other words, one chance, I don't have time to play either], which he did [and was under what I was expecting], and told me I could pick it up at 2:00. Went there at 2:00, told him I would write a check or pay with AmEx. He took my drivers license and SS # [presumably to do a credit check] and came back and told me my check was good. I was out by 3:00 with every piece of paperwork completed. Painless. No sitting in little glass fronted rooms passing pieces of paper back and forth. Do your homework, don't take too much of their time, and you will make a better deal.

+1

I have bought all my cars except the Shelby through the Fleet manager.

Once you do your homework and know what you want they will give you the best

deal without all the hassle and headache. As mentioned above this means

having your financing already set up in advance.

As for buying the Shelby it was in the showroom with a white automatic.

Both cars on sale for the "07 memorial w-end and both went out that Saturday afternoon.

And yes I had my check ready and so got a great deal considering the mark ups they

were asking at the time.

CC

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped into O'Meara Ford, just north of Denver, Colorado, the other day. I knew I shouldn't. I've had bad luck there before, and can't stand the attitude the salesmen have, but they do have a nice selection of Shelbys, Roush, and custom Mustangs, and I wanted to see a Boss Laguna Seca in person. Bad idea.

The visitor parking lot was mostly empty. When I pulled in, I noticed a dozen bored-to-death salesmen standing all around the perimeter. They were spaced out, like they had ownership of six or eight parking spots, and anyone parking in their spots belonged to them. They all smiled and encouraged me to park in their spots. I had a salesman at my window before I could get out of the car.

"You trading that in?" My daily driver is a 2008 Shelby GT. No, it's not a trade-in, I just wanted to see a Laguna Seca in person. His eyes light up, and he leads the way. The red wheels look better in person, not as gaudy as I once thought. He starts gushing about how "cool" it is. Like I don't know that. He then says that when I buy it, I'll get 3 days at the racetrack of my choice, and a special track key that makes the car go faster. It begins... :rolleyes: I tell him that you only get one day, and you don't get to pick the track. I also mention that you have to pay extra for the track key, and that no Boss owner has received theirs yet. He looks confused, and runs to get his manager. The manager looks all of 24 years old, shakes my hand and starts by asking how many miles are on my Shelby GT. I hesitantly tell him 20k, and he says it's high time for a trade in. He points to a GT500, and suggests I get a "REAL Shelby". :nonono: You gotta be kidding! I tell him the difference between the two and tell him not to give me that "REAL" crap. In frustration, he walks away. The original guy then follows me out the door, telling me that I had better get a muscle-car soon. I bite, and ask why. He says that Ford is discontinuing all of their V8 engines, and the Mustang and even the trucks will only be available with a V6 very soon. I act shocked, and, thinking he's getting somewhere with me, he adds, "Yeah, even the Corvette will only have a V6." I'm not sure if he knew that was a Chevy or not. :glare:

Seriously, how do they stay in business? They wanted 20k over sticker on the Boss, and 10K over sticker on the GT500. They are supposed to be a high-volume dealer, but IMO, you'd have to be stupid, uninformed, or too rich to care about price to buy anything from them. You'd also have to be either thick-skinned or naïve not to be offended by their arrogance and lies.

I was there before I got my 08 SGT, looking at an 07 SGT. They had an ad saying, "Buy any leftover 07 Mustang, and get a free supercharger." The salesbutt I talked to claimed it didn't include the Shelby GT. The fine print disagreed. He finally said, "Look, you can't put a supercharger on a Shelby. It's a classic! You only get the supercharger if you pay full price for a regular Mustang, and then it comes in a box. We aren't going to install it for you." I asked him why he was asking 5k over sticker on a leftover 07 in May of 08 when I could get a better deal on the 08 elsewhere. He said, "No you can't." I told him I already had an offer of invoice on an 08. He said, "What are you doing here then? Leave and go buy that one." I did, for under invoice. What a great sales technique! :headscratch:

O'meara Ford. Neat cars to look at, but wear hip boots and keep both hands on your wallet.

I had to stop at the Shelby quote !! Car salesman make my skin crawl most but not all some are truthful but the others think everyone other than them are stupid. They wear those fake college rings and if they really did go to college to sell cars is a sad choice of employment. Just like the fools who went to college and joined NYPD back in the day and used big words to the public in the bronx. If a salesman pisses you off and he has a college ring on point it out and from there you can turn the table on him. You just have to find the right thing to set them off. Try the dressing of a bum look when he insults you within ear shot of other customers you can swing a better deal with a scene. Buying a car there are no rules it's comes down to who is the slicker one.

• 1 month later...

Partial Redemption for O'Meara! I had the body shop replace the stripes on my SGT, and the body shop people are nothing like the salespeople. John, Tami, and Dave actually knew what they were talking about, understood what an SGT was, and understood the stripe issue. How I got Ford to pay for the stripe replacement is another story (see Stripes thread), but suffice it to say that not all O'Meara employees are the same. I would still never purchase a car from their salesmen, but the O'Meara name is a bit redeemed for me. Dave did the actual stripe install. Was is perfect? No, but I understand the issues involved in trying to get a flat, delicate surface to conform to a curved surface. As a Shelby owner, I see where perfection fell short, but I don't think most people would ever know the difference, and I'll give it a 98. If I still have the car in another 5 years or so, I'll have the stripes painted on, but I am grateful for another chance at clean stripes. A nice bonus was not just a complete wash before returning it to me, but a full detail. The paint felt like they had clay-barred it, and not just on top, either. Even the wheels were polished. Nice job, guys! BTW, the replacement stripes seem much shinier than the originals, and Dave said he thought they were a bit thicker. Maybe they'll last longer?

O'Meara was the only place in the Denver Metro Area that had a Ford GT key. (Note: for a Ford with a smart key you have to have two keys to program the third, else you have to go to them and it's a service item to program it in the computer - GT or not, that's how it works). I called three closer dealers and their service managers all directed me there. So I called them in the morning and said I'd like to come down. Yep, we have a key, we'll have it at the service desk. I showed up and they got me in and had the key programmed in about 1 hour. Their "GT Guy" was helpful and it sounded like he was also the SGT and GT500 guy. So I think they get bonus points for their service department...

• 3 years later...

I just found this old thread I started. I haven't spent much time here for a few years. I still have my 08 SGT, but I'm pretty disgusted with it. My stripes are all "rusted", again, my hood is bubbling 3 years after I replaced the hood pin screws, my hood scoop rivets are popping, and the center of the "final" hood scoop model is sagging. I've only got 40k miles on it, but it looks older. You could mistake my garage for a Carroll Shelby memorial shrine, but I wouldn't buy another "genuine Shelby" product if it was half the price of the alternate car or part. Of course, we all know how much extra we pay for "genuine Shelby". Unfortunately, in my experience, it's all junk. The car has depreciated even more because it's a Shelby. What a shame. I can't decide how to redecorate the garage...

Just FYI since this thread opened up again. I would never, ever consider purchasing a car from Omeara again after what they did to one of the local Mustang clubs just a couple weeks ago. Not the club I'm in, but one of the other local clubs. They had a meeting there a couple of weeks ago which they had monthly. One of the members showed up in an Escape which they recently purchased and had a temp tag in the window. One of the salesmen approached them and asked where they bought it from. The member got the Escape through a broker as Omeara wouldn't even come close to matching the price. When the club started their meeting, the manager came up and kicked them out stating that they are not welcome there any longer because they are supposed to buy their cars there. Seriously???? Just because a member bought an Escape through a broker they get kicked out of the dealership because it was not purchased there???? That is lower than low and one of the most disgusting things I have heard of.

The dealer missed an opportunity to tell the club they would match any other dealer's written offer. Nice work.

Hope the guy who bought the Escape from the broker told the salesman he had an opportunity to earn his business and blew it.

When someone has a bad experience w/a merchant they tell an average of 11 people; positive experience 3.

Archived